cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ColinA
Scholar

NowTV Box 4500SX - Forcing Login to NowTV

I'm hoping someone out there can help...

I have had my 4500SX box for a few years now.., never had any issues..

I don't use the NOWTV side of it, I just use it for TV channels..

A couple of days ago, it started going straight into NOWTV when I powered it on..., very odd..

I couldn't see a way around it, so I FACTORY RESET it and it now takes me thru the connection via the www.nowtv.com/tv link to activate it..

It then wants my login details..., and many years ago, I had used it once to watch Sky cricket, so I put my details in...

Then takes me on to a section where it insists I go for a 7 day trial and won't go any further unless I put my credit card details in..

I don't want a trial and I'm not giving NOWTV any credit card details...

At this moment, I'm seriously annoyed as there seems to be nothing I can do you use my box.. I'm guessing this is a firmware update that has done this, but it has rendered my box useless..

I just want it back to where I have been for the last 5-6 years..?

Any ideas..?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@ColinA 

It’s a technical thing to do with the Distance Selling Regulations and the 14-day ‘cooling off’ right-to-return period.

So for Now to be protected against you simply watching for two weeks and then cancelling and getting a refund, you would either have to wait 14 days before being able to watch anything, or waive your statutory right to cancel within that period and thus then be allowed by Now to start watching straight away.

So that sentence is you abrogating your statutory right there.

It doesn’t mean you can’t cancel at all though; it just means you can only cancel in the ways that Now allows, e.g. by stopping the free trial before the 7 days are up.

And there are various other considerations for Now and for you if you don’t do that, but still want to stop in the first 14 days.

Now should perhaps add the word ‘statutory’ before’right’, though I think that might come off as even more intimidating 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
meadowend
Mentor

I think you should be fine. On the Hayu membership screen it says, "Hayu Membership auto-renews at £4.99 a month after 7 day free trial, unless cancelled."

Remember to cancel it well before the free trial expires and it auto-renews.

ColinA
Scholar

Thanks for your help...

I was just looking for the CANCEL MEMBERSHIP button.., just so I'm ready when I need to do it...., and I don't see that option anywhere...., so maybe I'll have to ring them..

Seems a bit of a minefield sometimes...

meadowend
Mentor

Oh they deliberately make it a minefield to try to get you to pay, 'cause it's easier.

However, if you log into your NOW TV account in a browser (phone or computer) then click on the TV Membership menu item at the top, scroll down to the membership you're trialling and there should be a "Cancel Membership" button there.

ColinA
Scholar

Aha!, its there... 

Thanks for all your help..., I'm back up and running..

RoyB
Legend

@ColinA 

From here, find your avatar top right, click it, choose Manage Now Account, open Your Membership, and it will be right there.

I suggest you cancel it straight away; you still get the weeks free trial, and there is nothing to be gained by waiting.

When you cancel, though, make sure you go through all 4 steps - don’t bail out early thinking you have finished.

You should get an email confirming the cancel ; you can also go back into your account and make sure no upcoming payments are shown, just as belt and braces 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@ColinA 

It’s a technical thing to do with the Distance Selling Regulations and the 14-day ‘cooling off’ right-to-return period.

So for Now to be protected against you simply watching for two weeks and then cancelling and getting a refund, you would either have to wait 14 days before being able to watch anything, or waive your statutory right to cancel within that period and thus then be allowed by Now to start watching straight away.

So that sentence is you abrogating your statutory right there.

It doesn’t mean you can’t cancel at all though; it just means you can only cancel in the ways that Now allows, e.g. by stopping the free trial before the 7 days are up.

And there are various other considerations for Now and for you if you don’t do that, but still want to stop in the first 14 days.

Now should perhaps add the word ‘statutory’ before’right’, though I think that might come off as even more intimidating 😛

RoyB
Legend

@commanda6 said:-

On a final note, the Manhattan T4 and T4R Freeview play boxes are meant to be coming out in July.

Missed it, didn’t they? 😢 Jam tomorrow….

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB wrote:

@commanda6 said:-

On a final note, the Manhattan T4 and T4R Freeview play boxes are meant to be coming out in July.

Missed it, didn’t they? 😢 Jam tomorrow….

Hi @RoyB 

the release of the new Manhattan devices has been pushed back to sometime this month, although I must admit I'm a bit sceptical as we don't have an exact date yet. You would think we would have a date by now, wouldn't you 

https://manhattan-tv.com/freeview/manhattan-t4r-tv-recorder 

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
ColinA
Scholar

Thanks for all your help Roy...

RoyB
Legend

@ColinA 

Result!