cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ColinA
Scholar

NowTV Box 4500SX - Forcing Login to NowTV

I'm hoping someone out there can help...

I have had my 4500SX box for a few years now.., never had any issues..

I don't use the NOWTV side of it, I just use it for TV channels..

A couple of days ago, it started going straight into NOWTV when I powered it on..., very odd..

I couldn't see a way around it, so I FACTORY RESET it and it now takes me thru the connection via the www.nowtv.com/tv link to activate it..

It then wants my login details..., and many years ago, I had used it once to watch Sky cricket, so I put my details in...

Then takes me on to a section where it insists I go for a 7 day trial and won't go any further unless I put my credit card details in..

I don't want a trial and I'm not giving NOWTV any credit card details...

At this moment, I'm seriously annoyed as there seems to be nothing I can do you use my box.. I'm guessing this is a firmware update that has done this, but it has rendered my box useless..

I just want it back to where I have been for the last 5-6 years..?

Any ideas..?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@ColinA 

It’s a technical thing to do with the Distance Selling Regulations and the 14-day ‘cooling off’ right-to-return period.

So for Now to be protected against you simply watching for two weeks and then cancelling and getting a refund, you would either have to wait 14 days before being able to watch anything, or waive your statutory right to cancel within that period and thus then be allowed by Now to start watching straight away.

So that sentence is you abrogating your statutory right there.

It doesn’t mean you can’t cancel at all though; it just means you can only cancel in the ways that Now allows, e.g. by stopping the free trial before the 7 days are up.

And there are various other considerations for Now and for you if you don’t do that, but still want to stop in the first 14 days.

Now should perhaps add the word ‘statutory’ before’right’, though I think that might come off as even more intimidating 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
ColinA
Scholar

Thanks Roy.., that's perfect.. I'll go off and investigate those boxes you suggest..

Colin

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

My apologies @ColinA 

I didn't twig that the model number you gave above was the smart box with the digital terrestrial television (DTT) tuner. 

While my advice about Amazon devices being overly expensive is still correct. If you wish to access DTT channels , then the advice I gave yesterday, is largely useless except for the channels that can be accessed from within the BBC iPlayer, ITVX, and Four apps respectively. 

Your best choice over still Roku, though , as in terms of apps/ smart functionality, it would give you what you are used to with the Now device, plus a whole lot more that your ability to access linear Freeview channels would be limited to what's available in the apps mentioned above or channels as Roku rather confusingly calls them.

@RoyB  is correct and pretty much everything he has said above, but I'm afraid I would have to caution against getting youview hardware on on eBay. Much of what you will find will now be rather old, which means she would naturally have to question its reliability . And while it is possible to replace the HDD in the variants of youview hardware that have hard disks. The process of changing the disc can be a pain in the backside. If you do decide to go down this route, I wouldn't gather anything that is over £100.

On a final note, the Manhattan T4 and T4R Freeview play boxes are meant to be coming out in July . If possible I would wait for these as I can't imagine the T4 which is a receiver only and not a PVR being above £120. The T3R can still be found if you look hard enough that I don't think you would get it for under £169.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
ColinA
Scholar

Hi there, really sorry, it should have been a 4500SK box..., my mistake..

Thanks for the update..., I'll check out those options you suggest... 🙂

RoyB
Legend

@ColinA @commanda6 

My YouView box from 2012 is still working as well as it ever did (which is to say, not as well as the more modern YouView boxes). But it has suffered no mechanical or electrical deterioration.

Though the same can’t be said for many of its fellows, which is true. But boxes from 2014 onwards have very few issues. In particular, the BT ones; and the DB-T22xxs are completely solid state, and so have no disc to fail.

Your only worry with an eBay purchase is that the device works initially, but doesn’t last long; if that is an issue, a CeX one will come with a guarantee.

Here’s one on eBay, described as ‘new’:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/2158467010?iid=115811912529

You could get six of those, for what a T3 might be priced at….

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
meadowend
Advocate

As far as I can see there's no way round this once you've done a Factory Reset other than handing over your credit card details, opting for a month, or a free trial, and then cancelling. That's still going to be cheaper than buying a new streaming device.

However, for others who may read this and are trying to work out, with the recently updated software, how to get to the apps on a NOW TV box/stick - and the free to air channels on this particular box: DON'T DO A FACTORY RESET. Just press the Home button on the remote (you may have to press it twice) and you'll get to the apps screen. If you have this model of box (4500SX - the box with the tv aerial input and the ability to watch Freeview HD free to air programmes) then you'll also see a "TV Guide" menu option on that screen... that gets you to the free-to-air TV channels. Note this is different from the "TV Guide" menu at the top of the NOW TV screen... that just gives you the NOW TV Guide.

I hope that's useful to someone.

RoyB
Legend

@meadowend 

You missed considering option (ii) here:-

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Set-top-boxes-Smart-TVs/NowTV-Box-4500SX-Forcing-Login-to-NowTV/m-p/6...

Or can you see a snag with it?

meadowend
Advocate

Hi Roy,

No, that would work, but Colin already said he doesn't know anyone who's a NOW TV subscriber, so I didn't bother mentioning it.

ColinA
Scholar

I think the FREE TRIAL will get me up and running again....

One quick question... On the PAYMENT box, it asks for my card details etc...

Underneath the START FREE TRIAL, it says
"By clicking Start free trial, you acknowledge that you will lose your right to a refund should you cancel"

What exactly does that mean...?, surely once I've gone for a Free Trial and Cancel it, that is the end of it?

meadowend
Advocate

I haven't done the free trial thing for a while (I do have a NOW TV account so I can watch Sky Sports), but I believe it means if you run over the seven day free trial and then get charged you won't be eligible for a refund if you subsequently cancel.

However, to minimise the risk, if I were in your situation I'd go for a free trial of Hayu, which - if the wording actually means you will be charged for the first month whatever you do - will cost only £4.99.

ColinA
Scholar

Thanks....
I've gone for the FREE TRIAL as you advised..., its just setting my old unit up again now..

Fingers crossed that will be the end of this... I'll know better next time and not do the FACTORY RESET..