cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
subscriber

Now Tv on Roku says update required

On roku the nowtv app says:

'Please update your application by going to settings > system > software update,' and 'Client_00001'

The app won't start after updating as instructed and even after a factory reset. All the other apps are fine.

Everything is as up to date as it can be, so what is the issue?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
RoyB
Legend

@subscriber 

Roku what? e.g. Express, Stick, Streambar?

When you go to Settings/System/About on the Roku, what Software version do you see?

When you do a Settings/System/Software Update/Check now, what happens? What does Last checked: now show?

Was that a Factory reset in Advanced system settings on the Roku, so you had to reload some of your apps?

If you haven’t reloaded Now as part of that, then delete it off the Roku, do a System restart (no need for a full reset), reload the Now app, try it again, find the version number under My Account if you can get in (I have 8.10.0), see if you can watch something, and please report back.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Phlo
Advocate

@RoyB 

I have been having the same problems and your advise hasn't changed anything. Did factory reset. Deleted app and then re installed it. Nothing. Same problem.

Even been in touch with Roku and they say its a Now TV problem. Very frustrating as paying for a service we can't get. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Phlo 

Outside of unplugging the stick and router for a few minutes, you could try a factory reset. Then you will have done all possible troubleshooting that staff will get you to do. 

Best report with staff via live chat. Make sure to be signed in and use the ‘How to get in touch’ drop down.
https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/tv/problems-watching-now

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Phlo 

Which Roku device have you got, and what make and model of TV is it plugged into?

No consolation for either of you, I’m sure, but the following combinations all work fine for me:-

Roku Premiere into LG GX.

Roku Streaming Stick+ into Samsung JS9000.

Roku Express 4K  and (Roku) Now Stick into LG Nano.

Which is not to suggest that you don’t have a very real issue, but just to say I can’t reproduce it, and I don’t know what else to suggest, beyond casting the net a bit wider, by restarting the router, and unplugging the TV at the mains for two minutes 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Seen a couple of reports on this.

I am assuming pressing the Home button 5 times then quickly pressing the Forward button 3 times then quickly pressing the Rewind button 2 times on the remote to bring up the secret menu and update the firmware doesn't help (update the firmware even if it's on the same number).

If you have mobile internet data try a temporary WiFi hotspot with the Roku to see if you can get past this message.

No idea if the above will help or not, where I am not seeing this message on any of my Roku players when using the NOW App.

MikeD64
Advocate

@subscriber no consolation and no help to you, but I’m getting exactly the same. I’ve tried firmware update and forcing a software update through the hidden screen, and have also done a complete factory reset, to no avail. I’m using quite an old Roku stick though - I’m just wondering if it’s tipped over a threshold and it can no longer be used for Now TV (mine’s so old that it can’t stream Disney but that fails more elegantly!)

RoyB
Legend

@MikeD64 

l’m guessing you have the Now Smart box that also has a terrestrial TV tuner?

Owners of those have drawn the short straw as far as Disney+ is concerned; older Now and Roku boxes can get it still, and newer Now and Roku boxes can get it, but for some reason, we know not what, Disney+ has been withdrawn from just this one particular model, in the UK. In the US, it has been withdrawn from those Roku devices that use the same hardware, but none of these were ever sold under the Roku brand in the UK.

MikeD64
Advocate

@RoyB Hi, no, I’ve got a stick - no idea of the model but I think it’s probably 7 or 8 years old. I’m thinking it might just be time for a new one!

RoyB
Legend

@MikeD64 

Is it Now or Roku, or even a Firestick?

If it’s a Now Smart Stick, it should carry Disney+:-

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-apps-are-available

and maybe you just need to download it from the App Store on the Stick, though it should be preloaded?

Otherwise Settings/System/About should tell you what model the Stick is.

A new Stick will certainly be faster, though.