cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nafe
Mentor

Adverts not loading, can't play episodes.

Hi,

I'm trying to play episodes of Silicon Valley (but it happens on other shows too) on my Amazon Fire Stick and an advert attempts to play, I see the first frame of it and then I get an error:

Oops something went wrong. That didn't work so we're going to look in to it.

The error code at the bottom right is "ERROR.PLAYER.ANDROID.UNKNOWN.MAIN_CONTENT".

I got the same problem with films but usually retrying over and over would get the film to skip the advert and play properly. This is not working with tv shows and I'm stuck in an endless loop trying to play the show.

Any help appreciated!

8 REPLIES 8
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @nafe 

I get this message occasionally, but if I exit a couple of screen steps back from the message on screen and then jump back it usually works for me and clears the message.

It might be that certain TV shows and episodes are causing playback problems on the NOW server.

Maybe if you quote the Season Number and Episode Number for an example and what Android TV device you are using perhaps somebody on the forum can check it out for the same problem their end.

If you have other playback devices, does the same error occur on the same TV show Season and Episodes? 

Are you watching from the Continue Watching grid row and if so perhaps try from the Watchlist or pick up the episodes either via search or going to the dedicated on Demand channel folders (in the case of Silicon Valley Sky Atlantic).

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @nafe 

I missed the bit on your post where you said Amazon Fire Stick.

If you type that error message into the Community search box there is a couple of different threads with this error using a Fire Stick.

I haven't got access to my Fire Stick until tomorrow and could check out Silicon Valley but I have Boost.

There was problems on the NOW service a couple of months back that brought up this error message for non Boost subscribers for a lot of customers, across various devices and various TV shows who didn't have Boost, but I believe that problem was fixed by NOW.

nafe
Mentor

Thanks schnapps. It was season 1 episode 5 of Silicon Valley I was having trouble with. I tried a few previous episodes and they had the same issue too. In the end I just kept backing out and trying again (either from continue watching or from the main Silicon Valley page) and eventually it worked. Then had no problems continuing to watch further episodes.

I'll do a search for the error code and see what I find. Thanks for your replies!

User_007
Mentor

Hi Nafe, Out of curiosity What is the complete error message you are seeing? Any other information on screen along with "ERROR.PLAYER.ANDROID.UNKNOWN.MAIN_CONTENT"?

nafe
Mentor

The only other thing is:

Oops something went wrong. That didn't work so we're going to look in to it.

That shows in the middle of the screen after the first frame of the advert is frozen on screen for about 10 seconds.

User_007
Mentor

Thanks Nafe, looks like there isn't much more information after all!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @nafe @User_007 

Might be good idea to report this error and what devices you are getting this error message on screen to NOW live chat.

Click on the green chat online button towards the top of this link page below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint 

There was an issue around June or July 2022 where a lot of customers who didn't have Boost was getting the Oops something wrong message with different error codes when the adverts was trying to play and couldn't load a number of TV shows and episodes.

I couldn't replicate the error myself because I had a Boost TV Membership.

Hope you get it sorted.

User_007
Mentor

Thanks @schnapps appreciate the advice.