cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aguild
Advocate

NowTV Player on Windows and Citrix Incompatibility? (Solution)

Posting this to hopefully save others the hours of tinkering.

From my experience (and it seems someone else on a Digital Spy forum has experienced similar). NowTV Player on Windows hangs on startup if some Citrix apps (e.g. Workspace?) are installed.

After much investigation, the cause for me is "AppProtection Service" which is installed and started with other Citrix applications. It seems that this is an optional extra and behaves similar to BitDefender (also known to have some compatibilty issues with NowTV Player).

For me, disabling this service using the instructions below has resulted in NowTV Player working again and Citrix Workspace still allowing me to access Citrix remote desktops.

Instructions (this is on Windows 11, but I imagine Windows 10 would be similar):

1. From the Windows menu, type "msconfig" as a search term, which should bring up the "System Configuration" App

2. Open this application and go to the "Services" tab

3. Find the "AppProtection Service" by "Citrix Systems, Inc." and Un-check the checkbox next to it

4. Hit the "OK" button and restart the computer (as recommended)

Once restarted, NowTV Player should now work again.

NowTV Tech Staff, are you able to verify this incompatibility and if the analysis above is correct, make this workaround (or a better one) broadly known? (Given how common the use of Citrix applications is for remote working, I imagine this could be quite a common problem)

0 REPLIES 0