cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marietto
Observer

Linux is accepted as a browser on nowtv.it ?

Hello to everyone.

Actually I'm using Linux and I would like to see the DRM protected contents offered by nowtv.it because I have a paid account with them.

Browsers supported by nowtv.it  :
  • Google Chrome version 102 or later (on MAC and Windows)
  • Mozilla Firefox version 102 or later
  • Safari version 14 or later (only on Mac, not on PC with Windows)
  • Edge version 102 or later

I'm using Firefox vers. 108 and Linux (Linux is not even mentioned as unsupported),but anyway the error I get is "unsupported browser". Why ?

I think to have the right to use Linux instead of Windows to watch the contents that I have payed for. What do you think ?
  • PC
10 REPLIES 10
redchiz1
Champion 2

@marietto 

You have posted on the UK website, try reaching out to NOW TV in Italy directly.  Ciao!  🙂

RoyB
Legend

@marietto 

Firstly, I think because you are in Italy, and Now there is rather different from the UK and IE Now that this Community covers, you need to find some local Italian support.

Try here in the first instance:-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/305772690155600/

But secondly, Now doesn’t support Linux (and only lists what it does support, as otherwise the list would have to be endless). You can rail against that, and suggest that Now are losing out commercially, but you have no right to demand that Now use something it has never publicised itself as using.

Sorry…

Also, I wonder as an afterthought if Linux would be secure enough for Now’s content providers? Maybe it would be just too easy to circumvent Now’s DRM on this platform?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
marietto
Observer

No,I don't think its easy to circumvent Now’s DRM on Linux. Netflix.it works under Linux ; widevine has been added to Chromium and to Firefox ; Chromium and Firefox work on Linux. Your point is very weak. I think the very problem is that they want us to use Windows,I'm sure for commercial reasons. Since Windows is used by 97% and Linux by 3%. Its just this.

RoyB
Legend

@marietto 

I don’t know what percentage use Macs - none according to you, which we know isn’t true (and I know because I’ve got one).

But have a look at:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Now, certainly in the UK, don’t care what you use, as long as it’s something they have chosen to support. Now that Now works in browsers, I wouldn’t think it would take much work to support those browsers on Linux. That’s why I think Now have other reasons for choosing not to do it.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
marietto
Observer

@RoyB: mac os is commercially more appetible than Linux and / because it is not open source.

RoyB
Legend

@marietto 

So you
do think, like me, that there would be security issues with Now on Linux?

And how are you getting on with that Italian Facebook group?

marietto
Observer

@RoyB: no. widevine works in Firefox and Chrome on Linux.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@marietto 

To echo what @RoyB says I too use a Mac, so your percentage is miles off. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
chilli2
Elite

Its up to the streaming service to decide what platforms to support , and the UK version of Now publishes what systems they support, as do other streaming services .

The more systems/operating systems that are supported the greater the cost, and despite recent growth, Linux is still a minority.

I would say the main (excluding  smart TV) systems would be Windows (PC) Fire TV,  iOS, Android, Roku and even then withing that they could stop support to , or not support certain devices

As mentioned, this is the site for Now UK and not Now Italia so you will need to contact Now Italia