cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

App for Android TV

Why is there no generic Android TV app. 

There is a Sony Android TV app and an Android FireStick app so why isn't there a normal Android TV app? 

It can't be that much work to adapt one of the above ones.

5 REPLIES 5
redchiz1
Champion 2

Probably because there is such a limited number of devices that may use it. 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You missed the Android mobile phones app 😢

But what Android TV are you thinking of? Philips, perhaps, without Now whereas Sony have it?

I guess that’s just another form of S/P DIF(f) 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable
  • I have a Phillips TV but other android TVs, apart from Sony don't have the app either. I am not sure why there isn't a Now TV app on the Android TV store. 

I have the mobile app and know I can cast it but that is not the same as having a native Android TV app. Using the phone app also takes up an extra device.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Never say never, things move along slowly here in NOW. Bare in mind it wasn't on Amazon fire sticks until over a year ago. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

To avoid casting taking up two devices, start the programme before casting it. Then it only takes up the one device that being able to watch Now native on the TV would take up.

I have the faint annoyance that our 2020 LG TVs don’t have All4; we use Roku Express devices to get over this. Only one device either way, but it takes up an HDMI input on each TV that we might like back 😢

I have a theory, backed up by no evidence whatsoever, that Sony contributed to the Android Now app that it uses, such that Now are not free to make it generally available as an Android TV app, for technical and/or commercial reasons.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.