cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Phone call showing my daughters name but she didn’t call

Had a landline phone call very early in the morning showing my daughter's name.  I didn’t manage to get to the phone before it stopped ringing but on calling her back she said she didn’t ring me.  The missed call is showing her number correctly and I called her back immediately using that number so what’s going on?  If it were a 'spoofing' call surely it wouldn’t dial back correctly to her? Any ideas anyone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Well IW

It does sound like spoofing and someone, somehow (probably a scammer planning on targeting you) has got hold of your daughters number.

However, I'm not a telephone engineer and cannot confirm my speculation but I suggest you put in a complaint and see what shakes loose.

UK Bob

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Well IW

It does sound like spoofing and someone, somehow (probably a scammer planning on targeting you) has got hold of your daughters number.

However, I'm not a telephone engineer and cannot confirm my speculation but I suggest you put in a complaint and see what shakes loose.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I thought about Spoofing but was confused when I immediately redialed the missed call number and it went correctly through to my daughter as I thought with Spoofing it would go to the scammer? Anyway, on guard now. Unable to report it to NowTV as they aren’t taking calls due to Covid 19.

Thanks for your help
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi again IW

Just a bit of info based on my limited experience, spoofing scammers cannot be traced by ordinary call back facilities, which is the actually spoofing part of it.   So unless your ISP is set up to combat scamming/spoofing all they will get is either someone's legitimate phone number or an unregistered one.

Just out of interest, I heard recently that a state authority in the US had set up an elaborate sting operation to close down a US group of companies that facilitated foreign criminals spoofing operations.  I understand that these foreign criminals were raking in millions of dollars per year from vulnerable US citizens and kicking back a percentage to the husband and wife team that ran the US companies.

I guess that unless our government does something similar to what was done in the US we will never be rid of phone scammers.

UK Bob