cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chilli2
Elite

Now Broadband after September 2023 and the switch off of analogue phone services/FTTP only areas

So first of all if you have Now broadband and phone there is no need to do anything until either Now stop providing the service or sometime around end of year 2024/early 2025

But if you want to sign up to Now Broadband and phone , from September you wont be able to sign up to the current services as service providers will no longer be able to transfer, or set up new analogue phone ( voice) services.

Where full fibre - ie FTTP is available that will be the only option - Now do not offer FTTP

Where full fibre isnt yet available you will still be able to get internet services, but all voice traffoc must be router over the internet, on a system known as Voice Over Internet Protocl (VOIP)

Some service providers are enabling this via a little box that plugs into an ethernet socket on a router, others are calling it digital voice and require you to use their own router and plug your phone into the ISP supplied router.

Now currently do not offer VOIP/SIP/ or any other  " digital voice" service

So with more areas going to full fibre/fttp only, and with that the ever decreasing amount of places that can get Now Broadbnand  coupled with the forthcoming stop sell of analogue phone services,where will that leave Now Broadband ?

26 REPLIES 26
redchiz1
Champion 2

"The only proviso is that not all their network suppliers support it, but Openreach most certainly do."

City Fibre in your case perhaps?

Jayach
Elite 3

If the only FTTP option was CityFibre, Openreach would not make the area "stop-sell".

However, yes, TalkTalk may decide to offer only CityFibre if both are available. (Vodafone certainly do)

RoyB
Legend

@chilli2 

If you are interpreting the TalkTalk dialogue above to say that they are making no provision at all for telephone services with their full fibre broadband, then I am not convinced that this is the case.

When I first got FTTP in the UK, BT ran the cable in to an ONT, and stopped my FTTC service via the BT master socket, but the line remained connected, and continued to carry my voice traffic from the DECT phones in the house.

When we moved to our new house, with FTTP only, BT supplied us with a VOIP Adapter, which I plugged the DECT base station into.

So, are TalkTalk just saying that you can’t have the first arrangement any more?

Because the eero kit they are supplying can certainly support VOIP, and seem to be offering that to TalkTalk subscribers, even though some of them seem to be having the most terrible trouble with it.

So, is the above dialogue TalkTalk selling themselves short?

Apropos of telephone numbers, I’ve had the same mobile number since 2013, even though I’ve switched phones twice, but three ‘landline’ numbers, thanks to the myth of number portability (and yes I know it can be done in certain circumstances, but BT wouldn’t take my number on from Sky, nor let me keep the new number they gave me when we moved to the new house).

And memo to self: ask the builder what the POTS telephone sockets in a couple of rooms here are supposed to do 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:
When I first got FTTP in the UK, BT ran the cable in to an ONT, and stopped my FTTC service via the BT master socket, but the line remained connected, and continued to carry my voice traffic from the DECT phones in the house.

When we moved to our new house, with FTTP only, BT supplied us with a VOIP Adapter, which I plugged the DECT base station into.

So, are TalkTalk just saying that you can’t have the first arrangement any more?

Nobody will supply that arrangement any more, it is either POTS (where still available) or VoIP.

Come September, it will be VoIP only on new contracts (except in a few very limited exceptions)

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

I phrased that badly 😢

There seem to be two interpretations of the new TalkTalk arrangement:-

We will sell you FTTP, and when we say you can’t have a landline any more, we mean we won’t sell you a telephone service of any sort.

We will sell you FTTP, and when we say you can’t have a landline any more, we mean that if you want a telephone service, we will sell you one, but it will be VOIP only.

I'm just asking for clarification as which of these people here think is the case.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

if you try the sign up process for talk talk in a copper stop sell area then you will see they make no provision for new customers to retain a voice service, neither do plusnet on fttp.

there is a trial/ service for existing talk talk customers to move to voip, or pissibly retain their copper pair, but this service isn't offered to new customers .

Most providers are going down the route of providing voice services by using their own router and plugging a phone into that, and almost alk of those state you must use their router for voice services  such as BT, Sky, etc

Jayach
Elite 3

@chilli2 wrote:
there is a trial/ service for existing talk talk customers to move to voip, or pissibly retain their copper pair, but this service isn't offered to new customers .

That really made me think of Officer Crabtree in 'Allo 'Allo. 🤣

Good Moaning - Officer Crabtree Compilation - 'Allo 'Allo - YouTube