cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nina843
Advocate

WiFi hack by nosy naighbour

My next door naighbour hacking my WiFi and also making his "WiFi" offensive names about me. It's kind of stalking. Those people sitting in home and only one thing what thay can do is smoking  drugs. Problem is long and they still stalking. Their service provider was cancelled so they hacking me and my kids. Noone can see errors. I made printscrins of networks names arround me and one offensive about me. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
redchiz1
Champion 2

Change your SSID name/s.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
redchiz1
Champion 2

Change your SSID name/s.

Nina843
Advocate

Thank you.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Nina843 
Sorry to say that broadband staff never post on the forum. If you follow the advice from @redchiz1 that will be a start.

You should also change your Wi-Fi password. 
https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-do-i-change-or-reset-my-wi-fi-password

Then if I were you report them since they are being abusive and effectively stealing from you. 

If want you can also call the broadband team to explain the situation. See link for number.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Nina843
Advocate

Thank you

redchiz1
Champion 2

I should have mentioned changing the wireless password also, quite right @gavs82008.

Nina843
Advocate

I can see those who fallow on same channel. Usually they using keylogger or other nasty apps calling themself "hackers" it's can be also "hammerbox" from eBay it's searching passwords and guessing them both things taking to unlock password to 4-6 hours but now this systems can recognise password easy and quick. Usually showing DNS problem, duplex error in log sys 1970. I'm directed to some doggy channel..if I'm changing channel it's back to current one automatic should be changed to manual but it's gray and cannot change is display auto. It's just need another decoder who works independent against keyloggers who are not hackers just app users. Someone cyber security ppl should more lookup for this nasty apps and treat them like against the low. 

seebee
Scholar

Hi @Nina843 

If you think your neighbour is getting onto your wifi network, as well as changing wifi password as advised above, also turn off "WPS" in your router. I don't know about the NowTV routers in particular, but "WPS Pin mode" has design flaws (and then wireless routers have implementation flaws) that can let people connect to your wifi if they are determined.

In the NOW Hub Two, go to Wireless | 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings and untick "Enable WPS", then click Apply. Do the same for the 5GHz setting also.

RoyB
Legend

@Nina843

Equip yourself with Fing. The basic version is free, and you can see the size of the problem, at least. You may have to get the Premium version, but you can see the invaders, and block them in a number of ways, notably MAC addresses. Unless they can spoof those, this will keep the devices they are using out of your network.

There is also a Fingbox you can buy, which will dynamically add an extra layer of security by not allowing any new device to connect unless you specifically authorise it.

Are you using a Now router? These have an excellent security feature in that the signal won’t usually  reach next door 😛 But it sounds like you might need a little more than that.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:
Are you using a Now router? These have an excellent security feature in that the signal won’t usually  reach next door 😛But it sounds like you might need a little more than that.

Very droll.

@Nina843 

It's very unlikely they are able to "hack" your Wi-Fi as long as you have a good password (at least 12 characters) but as @seebee says make sure WPS is turned off.

They seem very nasty characters, assuming they are renting, a complaint to their landlord or the local council may help. If drugs are involved the police may be interested.

You truly have my sympathies, scum like that are a result of years of "progressive" hands off policing.