cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saint1976
Elite 3

New Now app discussion thread

The new app on Roku has been live for about 24 hours so a chance for users to give some feedback, hints and tips or highlight things that aren't obvious.

Positives for me;

Navigating the app is much quicker and the remote seems more responsive.

The time bar/search is superior to previous efforts. Click right to skip 10 seconds or hold down to the right and the timer slides showing progress in minutes.

Subtitles on live TV including live sports broadcasts.

Subtitle text size can be changed in Roku system settings.

Auto play next episode now active although I'd like a way to switch it on or off.

Negatives

Some of the text is way too small.

Can't change live channels without exiting the current stream and returning to TV guide. A big no no from me!

TV guide on the top row of tabs should be next to Home making access quicker.

Still can't skip promos at the start of on demand content but for some strange reason there's the option to pause.

A question - on live sports broadcasts there is a greyed out "go live" icon. Does that mean we are going to get the option for in broadcast replays of key moments? Or is that purely for the pause live broadcast function? If it's the latter, it doesn't work. I tested by pausing for 2 minutes, pressed play and the "go live" is still greyed out.

38 REPLIES 38
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Forgot to add like others, I want the ability to view what's on the other live channels and be able to switch live channels when inside a live stream (instead of going back to the TV Guide menu).

I have passed my feedback about this already to NOW Staff.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

It's been a while since I have used voice search directly on my Roku and with a recent Roku OS updates I quite like it, where there is more options and seems to be more results across more streaming services with nice size picture thumbnails.

Obviously this is not related to the New NOW App 8.0.1 discussed on here, but may be a better option if you are after voice search to find content from NOW.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Just been having a more of a play around with the latest OS version of Roku with regards to the Roku voice search and it needs improving.

I tried saying Clint Eastwood when testing above and it come back with results on NOW.

Then since the above I tried Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon and the Roku search for me on my Roku Stick Plus didn't come back with any results under NOW.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

I am going off subject here (sorry in advance), but some further more testing on the latest Roku OS using the voice search I am getting more success with movies on NOW.

Where so far TV shows are coming up blank after I click on the TV show in the Roku search results I am getting no streaming services (ie blank) after clicking on All episodes.

Don't know if I am doing something wrong my end or the Roku TV algorithm is at fault when searching for TV shows.

I am sure about a year ago or so, when I last tested the voice search on my Roku using an older Roku OS Game of Thrones was found has an option under the NOW subscription.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Today the Roku voice search for TV Shows seems to be working again and just tried Game of Thrones and a number of streaming services options came up on screen including NOW.

Saint1976
Elite 3

Hi @schnapps well I just tried Game of Thrones on the voice search and it came back with 'no results'. Same for Perry Mason. I then tried Google assistant and had the same. But, both Roku and Google found Succession. Very confusing!

Not sure if you remember but I asked the question a couple of months ago about Google integration. It seems like for Google and Roku there is some sort of integration of the Now system but not to the level that systems like Netflix or Prime have. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Saint1976 

When on the Roku main home screen I just tried the voice search for Perry Mason and it come up with NOW has one of the TV services available on.

Also I could choose either Season 1 or Season 2 from the Roku voice search results and it would take me directly to the correct Season number inside the NOW App.

If not working (which I was encountering yesterday myself for TV show voice searches) perhaps a power reboot on the Roku may or may not fix it.

I do remember you asking about Google integration, but to be honest I have no experience with Google integration and don't usually use Roku voice search myself (more old school by typing into the search bar or physically switching on things or pressing buttons rather than using any type of voice integration / interaction) but thought I would mention Roku voice search in your created thread on here.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

I don't use the kids section on NOW, but noticed the layout style is now more inline with the other GUI sections on the NOW service.

Also looking at the TV Guide Kids menu has the live Kids channels changed ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

I can see that there was 7 live channels according to this screenshot, but on the live TV kids Guide it's down to 5 live kids channels.

Where it looks like cartoonito and nicktoons is no longer there.

Screenshot_20230602-104337_Samsung Internet.jpg

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Nicktoons and Cartoonito is still showing for me under the live kids TV Guide channel list on my Amazon Fire Stick NOW App.

I have reported this to a NOW Staff Member to investigate.