cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TVFanInBrum
Mentor

ROKU streamer

Hi, I am looking to replace my NOW TV box with a Roku streamer because I want to continue to have access to Disney +.

Before I splash out my hard earned cash, please can someone confirm that the NOW app will still be available along with the BT sports app on the Roku device.

Will everything work pretty much the same as before but without the NOW logo etc?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @TVFanInBrum 

The NOW App and BT Sports App on the Roku streamers should look the same has your NOW Freeview Smart box when using NOW.

To access things like BBC iPlayer etc it won't be on the front end like the NOW Freeview Smart box and on the Roku you will need to click on the BBC  iPlayer App, ITVX App etc.

I am assuming you have a NOW Freeview Smart box because you mentioned to continue watching Disney Plus which isn't supported on the NOW Freeview Smart box anymore.

With the Roku streamers you won't get over the air Freeview terrestrial channels like your NOW Freeview Smart box.

Though on some of the terrestrial Apps such has BBC iPlayer etc you can watch certain live TV channels through the Apps over the internet.

Nobody can predict the life span on when Apps get removed from a device platform, but the newer Roku's should have a few years left on them at least.

If you watch a lot of sports, then get the higher end Roku's for auto frame rate playback.

I believe the Roku 4K Stick offers auto frame rate adjust, plus the Roku Express 4K.

Perhaps owners of these two above devices can confirm the auto adjust frame rate feature on these two above models (I own the older Roku Stuck Plus which has auto frame rate adjust and works really well but the Processor on it is getting a little slow now compared to the newer Processor on these two newer above Roku models).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @TVFanInBrum 

The NOW App and BT Sports App on the Roku streamers should look the same has your NOW Freeview Smart box when using NOW.

To access things like BBC iPlayer etc it won't be on the front end like the NOW Freeview Smart box and on the Roku you will need to click on the BBC  iPlayer App, ITVX App etc.

I am assuming you have a NOW Freeview Smart box because you mentioned to continue watching Disney Plus which isn't supported on the NOW Freeview Smart box anymore.

With the Roku streamers you won't get over the air Freeview terrestrial channels like your NOW Freeview Smart box.

Though on some of the terrestrial Apps such has BBC iPlayer etc you can watch certain live TV channels through the Apps over the internet.

Nobody can predict the life span on when Apps get removed from a device platform, but the newer Roku's should have a few years left on them at least.

If you watch a lot of sports, then get the higher end Roku's for auto frame rate playback.

I believe the Roku 4K Stick offers auto frame rate adjust, plus the Roku Express 4K.

Perhaps owners of these two above devices can confirm the auto adjust frame rate feature on these two above models (I own the older Roku Stuck Plus which has auto frame rate adjust and works really well but the Processor on it is getting a little slow now compared to the newer Processor on these two newer above Roku models).

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @TVFanInBrum 

Hi @TVFanInBrum @schnapps 

You are correct @schnapps , the Roku express 4K and streaming stick 4K possess the auto adjust refresh rate function. It must however be enabled by the user in settings by going to

settings > system > advanced system settings > advanced display settings > auto adjust frame/refresh rate

I don't quite understand why Roku still sells the older screening stick plus is it just confuses their product lineup and is bizarrely more expensive than the streaming stick 4K despite being inferior to the spinning stick 4K. That doesn't really make sense does it

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@commanda6 wrote:

I don't quite understand why Roku still sells the older screening stick plus is it just confuses their product lineup and is bizarrely more expensive than the streaming stick 4K despite being inferior to the spinning stick 4K. That doesn't really make sense does it

Pricing is currently £44.99 and £49.99 for the Stick + and the Stick 4K respectively directly from Roku. I guess you may see different pricing elsewhere. I bought mine on Amazon at a knockdown £29.99 in a Black Friday deal a few years back.

TVFanInBrum
Mentor

Thanks for the reply. I have checked on the roku website and both apps are available to add on to the roku device. I should have checked here earlier silly me 🙄.

Yes, I will be looking to buy the 4K express model for the superior viewing quality for sports etc.

Thanks again for the advice 👍

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @TVFanInBrum 

I am assuming you are using the NOW Freeview box over wifi ?

Where the Roku's don't come with an Ethernet port on them.

Hopefully Roku 4K Express owners will chip in here about their thoughts on this particular device (anything positive or negative about it).

I own the Roku Stick Plus which I purchased back in late 2017 (from memory) where it's a great device, apart from it's getting a bit slow nowadays navigating around the GUI and the remote controller goes through batteries where they need changing around every 4 to 6 weeks.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@schnapps 

I have the same model and they all seem to eat batteries. I have always found the remote to be a much quicker and more effective way of getting around.