cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Remote control works ok then only some commands recognised

I have a Now TV 4500sk box. 

All was fine until recently when the unit kept randomly switching off. Unplugging the psu from the box and replacing it had no effect. Unplugging the psu from the mains and replacing it caused the box to power up and work OK. I traced this to a faulty psu which shut down after a period of time. Replaced psu and the random switching off is resolved. However, and this is the main problem.......

The remote control now operates fine for about 2 mins after switching the box on. Thereafter the box will not respond to the up/down/left/right and 'OK' button presses, all other buttons work fine. Pressing the home button and selecting watch Live reinstates this functionality for about 2 mins. Pressing any of the up/down/left/right and 'OK' buttons causes the blue light on the box to dim slightly, as it does for all other buttons which work normally, thus confirming the remote IR transmissions are being received 

I have:

Factory reset the box - doing this updates all software (to be expected)

Changed the remote control batteries

Reviewd all system settings

Confirmed no obstruction to Rx sensor

All to no avail.

I've also tried the Roku Remote control App and it exhibits the same behaviour, even to the point of the blue light on the box dimming as the commands are received over WiFi, the box simply does not react to the up/down/left/right and 'OK' commands, until I press the home button whereupon the up/down/left/right and 'OK' buttons again work for about 2mins.

Any ideas please?

10 REPLIES 10
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

If I were you, I would upgrade the device to a full blown Roku stick or Amazon Fire Stick. 

Wouldn't be surpised for some older NOW devices to become unsupported like the White Box. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008 

Thanks for your suggestion, but it seems neither of those devices offer a wired LAN connection - is that true?

The box itself still performs its shannel reception functions.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

The Amazon Fire stick does, you need an adapter however. 

Personally I own 2 Fire sticks and both are hardwired. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Ethernet-Adaptor-Remote-models/dp/B01LXP5TXI?pd_rd_w=JNLHO&pf_rd_p=628c215d-40ee-4b80-9831-092970c7d8ab&pf_rd_r=S7BVYZT94C5V6FSBAWYH&pd_rd_r=3354d0a8-d49e-4971-89c2-a74a01011c82&pd_rd_wg=maEyB&pd_rd_i=B01LXP5TXI&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_1_i

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for that. 

An interesting development......

It seems that the remote control functionality is only lost when I've selected a channel which has a 'this channel has moved pop-up'. I'll need to do some more investigation to confirm the pattern

I have of course done the retune,  but that does not remove the pop-up.

I'm suspecting my problems are due to an inadequately tested firmware upgrade. Sadly this seems to be the norm in lots of instances these days; get the customer to do the testing for you.

That's fine until suddenly there are no customers......

Are there any NowTV employees posting on (or even taking an interest in) this forum?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you press the star button or red star button on the remote on the BBC HD channel or BBC 3 SD on live Freeview does it bring up a new screen with a numerical keypad and four colours Red, Green, Yellow, Blue buttons ?

From memory highlighting and click OK on either Yellow or Green clears Freeview Messages such has a channel TV has moved etc.

It might work on the live Freeview channels that you are seeing this message on.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Just had the same pop up message on the Dave ja vu channel and the yellow button cleared it for me once you press the star button on the remote.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

With the shining exception of @Izzie-T the content queen, you can’t rely on any Now employees being on here, and it says that on the front door.

Where it also explains that we can’t help with billing problems and the like, or twit OpenReach for you.

Though if it looks like the Live Chat or the Broadband Team can help you, or you want to make a complaint, we’ll show you how to navigate the Help to get to those resources.

For the tiny  proportion of messages that don’t fall into the above categories, you will often find some good advice being given.

Such as that BitDefender, and PiHole, will stop Now working on a PC, unless you configure for this, and how you do that. Or set a Payment PIN, for Chrissake, to stop other users on your account buying stuff with your money (which is usually too late to stop your four-year-old looking for Peppa Pig under Sports, or your daughter’s slightly dodgy ex-boyfriend helping himself to Cinema).

But we elves sometimes feed back up the Now chain, when we see and qualify a problem that seems to merit it (like having to start a Day Sports Pass on your phone before you can watch it on your TV!)

If you really want to talk only to employees, though, you could try the howling gale that is the Twitter feed….

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Izzie-T
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

Hi @RoyB 

Thank you for your message. 

As I am only able to look into on content related queries, for hardware related, I will pass to the related team for you.

Thank you.

*Please note that I am only able to look into on content related queries, any account, offer, etc related, please contact our customer team or live chat for help. Thank you.

Izzie-T
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

Hi @Anonymous User 

Please go to this link and click on the down arrow under "How to get in Touch" discuss about your Remote issue on the live Chat.

https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/technical-device-issues/adding-or-changing-devices

IzzieT_0-1643290464354.png

Thank you.

*Please note that I am only able to look into on content related queries, any account, offer, etc related, please contact our customer team or live chat for help. Thank you.