cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unpairing Now TV remote from TV

I have a Now TV stick and the remote control also controls the TV. The problem is that when I want to turn off the stick, I press the power button on the remote and it only turns off the TV. Then if I press it again, it turns off the stick but at the same time turns the TV back on. Then because the TV has come back on, the stick turns itself on again! I can't seem to get out of this loop and get the stick to just turn off (without unplugging it). I've reset the stick twice, and both times when it came to pairing the remote to the TV, I selected 'cancel' instead of 'continue', but both times it still paired it anyway.

So does anyone know a way out of this loop, or a way of unpairing the remote from the TV? I don't really want or need it to control the TV as well. Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The remote only controls the TV. So what you describe isn’t what happens; the second time you press the power button, it turns on the TV, and the Stick stays on. It may look as if the Stick turns off, but this is just something the TV display is doing as it powers on.

Like the Roku stick this Now Stick is a near clone of, it has no ‘off’, and is designed to sleep in low power until you wake it again.

At the small cost of having the Stick initialise from zero, instead of instantly coming to life when you switch the TV on, you may be able to arrange for it to get its power from a USB socket on the TV, and if those sockets lose power when the TV is put in standby (mine do), then this is a way to power down the Now Stick with the TV,

This works for us most of the time, and all of the time when we use a USB 3.0 socket, but we have one TV with USB 2.0 only, and this does cause the Stick to request to be put back on its power supply during updates. But USB power is fine for normal use,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

The on / off button on the NOW Stick remote doesn't actually switch off the NOW Stick at all and is purley for putting your TV into and out of standby mode.

Because you are using the USB power off your television with the NOW Stick when you are putting the TV into standby it will drop the power to the Stick with a short time delay and this is what you are seeing and when you press the on/off on the Stick remote again it brings on the TV out of standby and also re-powers up the Stick again.

There is a bit of information about powering a Roku device in this link article below.

https://support.roku.com/en-gb/article/231541927 

When you put the television into standby when using the power feed from the television USB port on most TV's (not all) the Stick should lose the power off the USB port and switch off.

If you don't want the Stick to remain powered up when not in use when the television is on, then use the supplied Stick power adapter and unplug it from the mains outlet.

If you want to disable the TV standby on/ off button on the Stick remote you should be able to go into the Stick Settings and under Remote select new TV and when going through the wizard say no to the on screen prompts and when you get to the select TV brand manufacturer do a manual setup and find a code number from 1 to X number that only provides the TV volume adjust and not the TV standby on/ off though this is a bit of a tedious process.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps 

Given what is stated above, wouldn’t the simplest option with the TV On/Standby button on the Now remote be never to press it? 😛

But the problem then is whatever you use to put the TV into Standby (the TV remote, say), it will only do exactly the same as pressing the button on the Now remote does 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB wrote:

@Anonymous User @schnapps 

Given what is stated above, wouldn’t the simplest option with the TV On/Standby button on the Now remote be never to press it? 😛

But the problem then is whatever you use to put the TV into Standby (the TV remote, say), it will only do exactly the same as pressing the button on the Now remote does 😢

Hi @RoyB 

Yes that would be the simplest option once the OP knows exactly what the on/off TV standby button on the NOW Stick remote is designed for.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't realise that the Now TV remote didn't actually turn the stick on and off. I've tried it again just turning off the TV, and the light on the stick does eventually go out after about 10 mins. Problem solved!