cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOW TV Boost not working in 5.1

Hi, I'm new to NOW TV and decided to get the stick as the app wont load at all in my Samsung TV, plus I spend quite a bit of time on the road (or at least I did before COVID-19), so it seemed ideal.

I also got the Boost add-on. 1080 is working perfectly, but no matter what I do 5.1 surround isn't working and it only puts out stereo (PCM) audio.

It seems to be an issue with the stick as I've tried it direct into the TV HDMI slot (I tried different slots) and direct into my Pioneer AV Receiver.

The receiver has a pure input setting which shows you what type of audio signal is being used and it's PCM (stereo).

It's not just an issue with the NOW TV app as the other apps like Netflix are doing the same, whereas when I use the Netflix app on my TV (not the stick) it's perfect 5.1.

I've tried all the suggestions I've managed to find, log out, switch off, log in etc. but nothing is working.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Simon

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I am guessing you have gone into the Stick settings under Audio and tried the different HDMI audio combinations ?

Also somebody mentioned on the forum that they couldn't get Dolby Digital Plus from their Pioneer AV Receiver and the issue for them from memory was to play something with your NowTV pass, then press the star button on the NowTV remote controller and they played around with the volume mode on screen option until Dolby Digital Plus popped up on their AV Receiver display.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps 

"I am guessing you have gone into the Stick settings under Audio and tried the different HDMI audio combinations ?"

Yes, several (dozen) times with every configuration.

"press the star button on the NowTV remote controller and they played around with the volume mode on screen option"

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, so just tried it, sadly there's no change.

Many thanks for your help though.

Cheers.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I don't use the NowTV Stick, but my Roku Stick Plus works flawlessly with the NowTV Boost Pass on my Pioneer LX AV Receiver with the Audio HDMI settings set to Auto on the Roku, plus the volume mode set to off by pressing the star button on my Roku Remote.

Every movie that supports the 5.1 symbol next to the NowTV movie description displays DD+ on my Pioneer AV Receiver.

Don't know what else to suggest apart from double check your TV or AV Receiver Sound menu settings.

On my Pioneer AV Receiver from memory it is set to Auto Surround Sound and not Pure which i only use Pure mode for two channel Audio when listening to music.

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User I read your post the other day so thought I'd dig out my old nowtv box (I use the integrated app on my TV) and see if I had the same problem.

Sure enough, when I first plugged in the box and set it up audio kept reverting to stereo through my amp but some fiddling got it working so here's my set up.

LG TV using optical out to a Yamaha amp and 5.1

Now TV box

Audio mode - auto (DD Plus, DTS)

HDMI - DD Plus, DTS

TV (advanced settings)

Sound - audio out optical/HDMI Arc

Digital Sound Out - Auto (I had to switch it to this from PCM. When it was set to PCM there was no sound).

So, somewhere in your TV there will be an audio setting that will switch the HDMI Arc from PCM to DD Plus. I found this thread on Samsung's site where people have been complaining that this is a manual process and it's needs an auto detect for DD Plus (which is what my TV is doing).

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV/Dolby-Digital-Plus-changes-to-PCM/td-p/408559

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

I have also discovered 5.1 is not working with NowTV.

If you have Boost, you will see the HD symbol and 5.1 icon when you browse movie titles.  

This used to work perfectly fine but I noticed today the titles only show HD and not 5.1 anymore.

My sound system displays if the signal is true 5.1 and it's not.

I think this change is with the software not our device setup.

I use a NVIDIA Shield Pro TV box and because NowTV are too lame to support Android TV on it, I cast from the Android App.  I have 5.1 set in the Chromecast Cast settings and this was always fine until now.

Thanks.