cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
beth27
Advocate

moving home

I'm needing to move on very short notice. I know the property I'm moving into doesn't require an engineer and I'm moving less than 5 minutes away from where I'm currently living. Spoke to someone on the phone after being on hold for ages and the earliest they can do is the 9th of November. I really don't know why it takes so long as an engineer is not required and all I'm moving is broadband. I'm having to take two weeks unpaid leave if I can't have internet which just feel ridiculous, but now I've just gotten an email saying that I'm apparently switching a different contract with them which is twice what I'm currently paying!

I really don't know what they're playing at and their customer service is atrocious. People who have switched homes with Now, how long did it take for you to actually have internet again?

2 REPLIES 2
Jayach
Elite 3

You may not need an engineer at your home, but an engineer is required to make the connections at the exchange/cabinet.

RoyB
Legend

@beth27 

Now can’t switch your contract like that. But it does make you entitled to leave Now and go elsewhere, so if I were you I would have a look around at what is available, with particular attention to anyone offering FTTP at your new address. Look on the USwitch site, perhaps.

But if there's still a gap, as there is likely to be, change your phone data plan to have enough data to tide you over (if you need more than you have now) turn it into a WiFi hotspot, and use that like a router, for your internet for the two weeks.

It won’t cost you what two weeks unpaid leave would cost you.

If you are unclear on all this, have a word with your mobile phone provider, and I am sure they will walk you through it.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.