cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raypurchase
Mentor

Broadband Price rise 2024

Hi,

I saw that the Sky are raising prices from April 2024 - Sky broadband and TV price hike 2024 - what can you do? (uswitch.com)

As [voucher code removed] is owned does this effect us and do we have the same rights i.e. can we leave?

Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21
redchiz1
Champion 2

@chilli2 

Unlike most providers, NOW do not have automatic price increases built into their contracts every April. They can raise prices at any time, subject to giving customers at least 30 days notice and the option to leave without penalty if they are still within  a minimum contract period. Is that what you mean by "pulled?" 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 @chilli2 

I imagine that is ‘pulled’ as in ‘a fast one’, rather than ‘rescinded’ 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB 

Very witty. But it really isn't pulling a fast one is it? We are all of course well aware of the T&Cs of the services we sign up to, are we not? Personally, I prefer the NOW approach, with the option to switch if you wish, rather than the locked-in price rises most others offer. Which will not change by the way under the new Ofcom rules, simply be expressed in a different way. 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

Am I alone in seeing a scheme whereby I can be offered the choice, at arbitrary intervals, of paying an arbitrary extra amount of money, or of ejecting myself from my broadband contract, and having to go through the hassle of finding a new provider and getting set up with them, as no more certain, and in fact a great deal less certain, than the price rises that I know will come from a mandated formula, even if I don’t know the exact amounts?

Particularly now that changing ISP will likely do away with my existing PSTN service and mean that I will have to embrace VoIP?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB 

You prefer knowing of price rises with no option to leave, as long as it avoids you the hassle of switching? Then go for it, that's exactly the sort of thing that providers thrive on. Personally I don't care for it much, I think any price increases should be outlawed during the term of a contract. Sure, pay more for short-term and less for longer. What about the millions in rented accommodation who cannot plan more than 6 months ahead, what are their options? 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

Possibly uniquely, Now’s ‘No Contract’ option.

And I didn’t say I preferred the non-Now contract to the Now contract. I was just pointing out the chimera of swapping one set of uncertainties for another, which doesn’t get anybody any further forward,

redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB

Not unique, but unusual. And only available in certain areas, of course. Not to either of my sons for example, who are both stuck in rental with few options.

And for the rest of us it would be far less of a pain if Ofcom ever finally got their universal one stop switching solution imposed on providers! 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

Number One son used it when he was renting, waiting for his new house to be completed. Though he can’t have it there as Persimmon mandate who his ISP can be. Not that he wants or needs No Contract any more, but it would be nice to be able to choose his ISP for himself,

But I’m not sure if you mean that your sons can’t have Now Broadband at all, or that they could have it, but the No Contract option isn’t available to them for some reason?

redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB 

They can't at all, not that this is the main point. 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

Thank you for resolving the ambiguity.