cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

VPN Access Restricterd

It seems that I can't stream anything today. Every time I get a message on my tv alerting me that VPN access is restricted.  

I have been using a VPN to access the content when I moved. What I failed to understand is why would you prevent us from using our favorite tool, and not to mention that I don't have a free membership. 

FYI, I am using a Sony Smart TV with NOW TV app on it.

Should I reconsider and cancel all my monthly subscriptions?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

NOW are clamping down on VPN's and can sniff out certain VPN's.

It is not only NOW, but Netflix among others are also starting to block VPN's.

I am guessing you have pointed your VPN to the UK (assuming you are located in the UK) or disabled your VPN service when watching NOW content.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

NOW are clamping down on VPN's and can sniff out certain VPN's.

It is not only NOW, but Netflix among others are also starting to block VPN's.

I am guessing you have pointed your VPN to the UK (assuming you are located in the UK) or disabled your VPN service when watching NOW content.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have both  NOW TV and Netflix, they have different audiences and purposes, and the price for the subscription is significantly higher on NOW TV. Currently, I have the cinema, entertainment, sports mobile, and boost subscription on NOW TV.  

Yes, I’m using NOW TV outside the UK with ExpressVPN, well I was at least using it.

It’s a shame blocking it for people outside of the UK, especially when you are paying to get access to News, Live Sports, and other channels.

Time to rethink and cancel my subscription. 
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

This is exactly the same as iPlayer, ITV hub, All4.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Would have thought somewhere under the NOW T&C's there is a section or paragraph about being either a UK or Republic of Ireland resident to use their service and you must be in the country to use it (i know the BBC iPlayer has one in their FAQ Help section).

This NOW help article doesn't mention VPN's but explicitly says you can't use their service abroad apart from downloads when in the UK and taken away the NOW download on a mobile device to watch on holidays when abroad for example.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-abroad 

Because i am based in the UK and don't travel abroad, i haven't really been bothered to read all through the NOW T&C's where there is anything mentioned about viewing from outside the UK or ROI which doesn't really affect me personally and i would have skipped the paragraphs if mentioned anyway.

A lot of streaming companies are now beginning to.clamp down on this practice of VPN's (BBC iPlayer have been doing it for quite a while, Netflix are starting to do it, etc).

You could try another VPN service to see you get more luck, but you would be breaking the T&C's agreement, though all i would expect for now is that NOWTV will block the VPN IP address and flag up a message on screen about it (like you have already encountered).

You may have to cancel your NOW Memberships and look elsewhere for your TV entertainment and Sports 😡.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

In fairness to Now, I should add that the geolocation check is not just Now being dog in the manger, but having to adhere to the geographical restrictions placed on it by the content providers as to where their programmes can be shown.

Even for Sky’s own original programming, part of the deal that overseas companies will require when buying this is that Sky don’t make it available in the territories of those overseas companies, so the georestrictions have to apply here as well 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.