cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marina1
Advocate

How to delete online account once cancelled membership

I've cancelled my membership but still have access to my online account. I'd like to delete it but can't find the option to do this. How do I delete my online account? Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

5 REPLIES 5
RoyB
Legend

@Marina1 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/make-a-data-request

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Marina1
Advocate

Thanks - I made a data erasure request and have pasted the response below.

I can still access my account though. I'm very confused about why it's so difficult to just delete my online account? Any further help appreciated.

Thanks,

Marina

Here is the response from NOW:

Thank you for your erasure request under Article 17 GDPR. We have taken a number of actions following that request but it is not our practice to delete all data of Now Broadband customers on request. Article 17 GDPR allows data controllers to retain data in certain circumstances, even where an individual asks for that data to be deleted. Now TV retains your information for the following purposes:

•    for business purposes where we have a legitimate interest to use the data which is not outweighed by your objection to our processing of the data, such as maintaining a record of our customers’ services and payments and dealing with future enquiries and complaints from you;

•    to enable us to defend legal claims under the statutory periods set out in the Limitation Act 1980 (for Sky UK Limited and other Sky companies based in England and Wales) or the Statute of Limitations (for Sky Ireland Limited);

•    to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations, including demonstrating compliance with the Data Protection Act 2018 and to meet our tax obligations. 

In response to your request, we can confirm that we have suppressed your details from receiving marketing and that we take appropriate technical and organisational measures to keep your data secure. Following the cancellation of an account, your data are retained in accordance with our data retention and deletion policy for up to 7 years. Some data is deleted earlier than this, for example your payment card information, which we only retain for 2 years and securely delete thereafter. Please note that if you want to manage your cookie preferences for the Now TV website, you can do so by selecting “Privacy Options” at the bottom of a Now TV webpage.

We hope this response is helpful in understanding Now TV’s position. However, you have the right to make a complaint to the data protection supervisory authority. In the UK, this is the Information Commissioner’s Office. In the Republic of Ireland, this is the Data Protection Commission. For more information on how Now TV uses customer information, please see our Privacy and Cookies Notice on our website at www.nowtv.com.  

The NOW Team

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Marina1 

Is this right @Simon-J surely we would be allowed for our accounts to be deleted if we wanted irrespective of timeframe?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Marina1 @gavs82008 @Simon-J 

I can entirely see why Now need to retain some data about past customers, even about streaming customers so they don’t sneak extra free trials of Hayu (😛) but need this be synonymous with retaining her account, and/or her access to it?

How does she become an Anonymous User, or is this status only applicable to streaming?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Marina1 @gavs82008 

The infomation given here for broadband is correct, there is nothing I can add to this as everything is covered in that response.