cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why is the sound quality so poor on the iPad version when compared to the PC/MAC?

Sound quality is poor compared to the PC/MAC playback ect. Are you ging to improve the iPad app anytime soon?

124 REPLIES 124
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I also have the stuttering thing and it happens at regualr intervals of 30 seconds. I don't understand these issues at all because it works fine on a Mac in a web browser.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User this topic isn't about stuttering, it's about consistently poor sound quality. Is that what you mean? If not, it's best to start another topic.

I posted here to explain what's happening.

Thanks,

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ah, sorry about that. 

Regards

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've been seeing this too. On an iPad Mini and ipad Mini Retina... Picture is great, but the sound does sound like a low bitrate mp3...
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Loving the fact that despite being the most long standing issue and a real quality concern for this service, now tv developers have achieved precisely NO improvement in this issue since it was first raised in months ago!!! Go now tv. You really take your customers concerns seriously ! Oh sorry...no I mean our money ....
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just to add my "Me too". As other posters have commented low volume contributes to make speech intelligibility poor, but volume is not the real issue here. The ridiculously low audio bit rate is the problem. 

Latest Now TV  app on ipad 3. The sound quality is on par with a 48-64kbps MP3. The video quality is perfect. Video and audio quality using a Now TV box using the the same broadand connection is also perfect.

That tells me there is nothing wrong with the WiFi signal strength or my broadband connection and that Now TV is simply over compressing the audio stream to ipads. If total bandwidth is a real issue , for technical or commercial reasons, then I'd rather trade some of the 700kbps video for better audio. 

As it stands, the audio quality makes it very difficult to follow any dialogue. I've yet to find any content where this is not the case for the ipad, but to give a specific example,  look no further than episodes 1-3 of "The Wire".

Apart from this issue with ipads, I'm genuinely very happy with Now TV Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks dampfish,

We do know that's the case, but unfortunately it's a pretty complex thing for us to change, which is why it's taking some time to do. All the details are here.

Thanks,

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Got to give it to you Tom, posting a link with no details about why the fault occurs is clever!? It just takes me back to this post??

Sigh...so now I have a lovely new interface on the ipad but the same awful sound quality. Is it any closer to being fixed or iOS style over substance really the main driver for the last 4 months of development. Come on! Throw us a bone on this one??!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User it doesn't relate to the app itself- it's a broader platform related thing. I can't go into detail, but we're still aiming to make the change as soon as we can.

Thanks,

Tom

Anonymous User
Not applicable

New user to NowTV on the ipad 2. The picture quality is fine most of the time, but I have to agree the sound is very tinny and has echos, even with headphones. I've never had this problem with Netflix or other streaming services. As this thread is from 2012, I doubt anything will be done about it. I'm pretty sure I won't continue the service after this first month if this isn't fixed.