cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Freeview Play PVR with NowTV?

Hi there and apologies for crowbarring this question into this forum. Not too sure where to post. 

I'm looking at taking a NowTV broadband entertainment deal but the smart box doesn't appeal due to the lack of record function for freeview channels. 

Is there a Freeview Play box on the market that has NowTV, Amazon and Netflix apps available? The holy grail would be a box that integrates NowTV live channels into its EPG. Is there anything out there that anyone could recommend? 

Thanks in advance, and admin please feel free to move if there's a place for these kind of questions. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi there and apologies for crowbarring this question into this forum. Not too sure where to post. 

I'm looking at taking a NowTV broadband entertainment deal but the smart box doesn't appeal due to the lack of record function for freeview channels. 

Is there a Freeview Play box on the market that has NowTV, Amazon and Netflix apps available? The holy grail would be a box that integrates NowTV live channels into its EPG. Is there anything out there that anyone could recommend? 

Thanks in advance, and admin please feel free to move if there's a place for these kind of questions. 

Hi @Anonymous User

Unfortunately, not now. There currently isn't a Freeview play PVR that has NowTV on it. There is currently two Freeview play PVR manufacturers, Panasonic and Humax currently NowTV doesn't support either of these manufacturers. You can access Netflix and Amazon instant video on Panasonic Freeview play PVRs never say never. NowTV might be available one day and Freeview play PVRs.

Unfortunately, the chances of getting the NowTV live channels integrated into a PVRs EPG are virtually zero. If NowTV was available on Freeview play PVRs, you would have to access now TV live channels through the NowTV app as you do on other devices now and the channels would not be recordable

If you are thinking of getting a Freeview play PVR I would suggest you hold fire for the time being, because by the end of the year, Panasonic and Humax will have probably brought out new PVRs which are dear to the 2017 version of the Freeview play specification. So far, Panasonic have only announced the new TV, but you can bet that both Humax and Panasonic have new PVRs in the works. If you were to buy a PVR now it would be generation one Freeview play. Generation one devices are not going to be updated with the new features that will be available on kit that adheres to the 2017 specification.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

Unfortunately, not now. There currently isn't a Freeview play PVR that has NowTV on it. There is currently two Freeview play PVR manufacturers, Panasonic and Humax currently NowTV doesn't support either of these manufacturers. You can access Netflix and Amazon instant video on Panasonic Freeview play PVRs never say never. NowTV might be available one day and Freeview play PVRs.

Unfortunately, the chances of getting the NowTV live channels integrated into a PVRs EPG are virtually zero. If NowTV was available on Freeview play PVRs, you would have to access now TV live channels through the NowTV app as you do on other devices now and the channels would not be recordable

If you are thinking of getting a Freeview play PVR I would suggest you hold fire for the time being, because by the end of the year, Panasonic and Humax will have probably brought out new PVRs which are dear to the 2017 version of the Freeview play specification. So far, Panasonic have only announced the new TV, but you can bet that both Humax and Panasonic have new PVRs in the works. If you were to buy a PVR now it would be generation one Freeview play. Generation one devices are not going to be updated with the new features that will be available on kit that adheres to the 2017 specification.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's really useful Commanda6, and much appreciated. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The last answers on this are from 2017 - please advise if there are now any PVRs that can record NOW or any separate devices.

Thanks

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User All Youview boxes have access to the full NoTV service. However, if you want to record NowTV or even pause live streams, you must meet all of the following conditions:

1. Have BT as your broadband supplier

2. Subscribe to BTTV

3. Subscribe to NowTV through BT via BTTV.

Those are BT’s conditions.