cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cannot view Now TV Entertainment on YouView? (Humax DTR-T2000)

Hi,

I just signed up to Now TV Entertainment and have a YouView DTR-T2000.

However, the On Demand App only offers Movies (much like the Sky Store app alongside it) - but not the contents of the Entertainment package.

I've left it for a day to see if it's an account clearance thing - but no joy.

I understand streaming of live channels doesn't work, but what about the 250 box sets I've signed up for?

What is going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately YouView only supports the on-demand movies on Movies Pass, you can't watch the Entertainment or Sports pass on it.

Have a look at the following list of supported devices as you might have something else in your house that you can use instead, eg games console, Chromecast or Apple TV.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Supported-devices

View solution in original post

141 REPLIES 141
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 wrote:

Hi @DarylM

All of the ISP specific IP channels on Youview are recordable , but to the IP channels which are not ISP specific are not recordable

Thanks.  Since some IP channels aren't recordable, that can't be the barrier to having live Now TV channels on Youview.  And as iPlayer uses unicast, that can't be the barrier either.

One difficulty might be that some of Now TV's channels are also available via ISPs (Comedy Central, Gold etc).  If Now TV's live channels were on the EPG, there might be conflict between two different versions of the same channel.

It would be interesting to know what actually needs to be overcome for Now TV's live channels to make it on to Youview.  It just feels as if the barriers aren't purely technical.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@DarylM wrote:

@commanda6 wrote:

Hi @DarylM

All of the ISP specific IP channels on Youview are recordable , but to the IP channels which are not ISP specific are not recordable

One difficulty might be that some of Now TV's channels are also available via ISPs (Comedy Central, Gold etc).  If Now TV's live channels were on the EPG, there might be conflict between two different versions of the same channel.

Hi @DarylM

Unlikely but that would only be a problem if now TVs live channels were available in the youview EPG and even then now TVs channels could be given different channel numbers to those that are provided by the ISPs removing the potential for any conflict. The channels can also be marked differently in the EPG, for example 'sky one (NOW)'. Something similar happened when now TV had an agreement with talk talk some time ago. The agreement which has long since ceased

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 wrote:
Something similar happened when now TV had an agreement with talk talk some time ago. The agreement which has long since ceased

@commanda6  Did Now TV used to be on the TalkTalk EPG?

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Believe so. They were apparently distinguished as commando6 said, with the word "now"next to them, in the ISP 300 range. Which meant they were delivered by multicast and therefore only available to talk talk Youview users. talk talk would have charged a fee for carriage in the EPG, which combined with the restricted number of Youview users must have made it untenable.
Youview have plans for developing unicast delivery of live linear channels, they have said so. The speculation is that they wish to do for unicast what they have done for multicast IP channels, in other words have them behave like ordinary channels from the aerial, appearing in the EPG and recordable.
They have started the first phase of this development with the IP channels that Arqiva provide in the 200 range in the EPG. Think channels like vintage tv on channel 242. However at the moment these require pressing the redbutton to access which takes a while, and they're not recordable like regular channels. Quaility is not amazing either. There has been no further development for over a year now, so it is presumed we are still in phase 1 of the on going project.
In the meantime the BBC have made massive strides forward with their live restart linear channels, which broadcast at a very high level of quality available to all on Youview using unicast.
Hopefully the BBC and Arqiva can push the development of live linear streaming forward on the platform, as I'm sure other ISP shareholders of Youview have been prioritising their own agenda on Youview, and therefore delaying the development of this important technology - everyone who has been waiting for the Nowtv channels on Youview are getting fed up with the huge delays. It's time it was sorted
Anonymous User
Not applicable

l be cancelling my subscription to the entertainment package. when i paid it i assumed wrongly it would how up on my tv set along with the movies. ive wasted money on this wrongly assuming i could watch the box sets comfotably on my TV  not a damn pc grrrrrr

Anonymous User
Not applicable

BUGGER it Smiley Sad I thought I'd cracked it when I got a 2 week free trial of Now TV's Entertainment, given that I've got the Now TV App on my Talk Talk You View box, AND used it for Now TV Movies, but no...

Much in the same way as GOOGLE  (Google Chrome) forced us Virgin Media (as was) customers to get another email address a couple of years ago, as (fer SOME God only knows reason) it was no longer possible to log into Chrome with a VM email , I/WE can't access anything but Movies on our TV's via the App, so can't take advantage of the big screen.

We own (buy...PAY FOR) Tablets, Laptops, Desktops, Smart Phones & Smart TV's, but at the end of the day, the likes of GOOGLE, SKY, Talk Talk/BT and VM can (and often do) block what we do with them, the way we want to use them, and we end up having to go ALL round the houses, (not to mention drop about 25 plus inches on a screen... Laptop v TV) and to top it all off,we're made to pay through the noes fer the privilege,with a PHONE LINE charge of, on average, £17...MENtal. 

OK...rant over

Man Wink     

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Possible light at the end of the tunnel for full Nowtv on Youview. Youview have put out a statement saying that work to enable streaming live IP channels like the ones from Nowtv has been "significantly advanced". With technical limitations removed form the Youview platform, we may now be just commercial agreement away from having entertainment and sports packages on Youview. Hopefully Nowtv and Youview can finally makes this happen.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User last time I heard the commercial demands from YouView were extortionate.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
@Anonymous User yes the figures you probably heard were reported in the telegraph. It was slightly misleading article as it was referring to a deal between only talktalk and Nowtv. Talktalk basically carried the Nowtv sport channels over their own tv multicast network which they charge a lot for. Coupled with the fact that the deal only had access to talktalks more limited user base.

A future nowtv service would be able to work independently of ISP's, being available to all Youview users, and also skipping the talktalk charge for using their special tv network. Not to say there won't be charges by Youview, but it will likely be commercially viable, having access to the whole Youview user base at an acceptable cost.

It's also worth noting that talktalk deal to carry the Nowtv sport channels was always going to be a difficult package to sell.
On offer was a Nowtv 1 day sports pass at £9.99, which had to compete with talktalks own monthly sky sports offering at £30. A bad deal with a limited talktalk user base.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The posts on this forum seem to be discussing 2 different but related topics:

1) The orginal post - annoyed that NowTV app on Youview box only shows movies and not entertainment

2) The IP Channels on youview not showning the NowTV live channels 

I understand the potential issues with option 2 but see the issues with option one just need an updated version of the app to solve them. You can't record from the apps so it'd be the same as Netflix etc.

When I can plug my computer into the TV and watch it why can't I just watch it from the computer that is my youview box?

It'd be good to have a date when the app will be updated. If it's not I too will be cancelling after Game of Thrones is done!