cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cannot view Now TV Entertainment on YouView? (Humax DTR-T2000)

Hi,

I just signed up to Now TV Entertainment and have a YouView DTR-T2000.

However, the On Demand App only offers Movies (much like the Sky Store app alongside it) - but not the contents of the Entertainment package.

I've left it for a day to see if it's an account clearance thing - but no joy.

I understand streaming of live channels doesn't work, but what about the 250 box sets I've signed up for?

What is going on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately YouView only supports the on-demand movies on Movies Pass, you can't watch the Entertainment or Sports pass on it.

Have a look at the following list of supported devices as you might have something else in your house that you can use instead, eg games console, Chromecast or Apple TV.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Supported-devices

View solution in original post

141 REPLIES 141
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @dr_necessitor @Anonymous User

@Anonymous User is right. Certainly from the content agreements/rights restrictions side of things. Youviews IP TV channels which you get as part of a subscription with an ISP are indeed multicast based. Now TVs live TV channels are unicast based.

Unicast streaming technology to an extent is now supported by Youview, but not to the extent that it would allow nowTV to have their live channels on the Youview platform. Support  unicast could currently be described as very limited at best. I believe there has been very limited support unicast on the platform since the Youview platform update in October/November 2014

While now TVs live channels could in theory be carried by Youview multicast channel network now TV would have to pay Youview and the ISPs handsomely for this privilege. (That would lead to a rise in subscription costs for everyone) Those of you who've been around for a while will remember that now TV did have an arrangement with talk talk for a short period to carry the nowTV sky sports channels

The best thing we can hope for is that the BBC who are partners in Youview push for unicast technology to be better supported on the platform. Then this might (note I say might not will) allow now TV to provide unicast channel access through the now TV app on the platform. Because the BBC is going very heavily into IP so better support of unicast technology might actually help the BBC, so we will have to wait and see what happens

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hmmmm .... here I am wanting to give you money, and I can't! What a novel situation. I don't know HOW many potential customers are wanting to do the same. Now BT has lost Fox I am assuming they are all ears concerning repairing the desirability factor of You View, SkyGuys snapping at their heels for disgruntled customers. ---  have another lovely chat with them and see if you can't come to an agreement - go on you know you can do it!!

Jeff

Yes it's a bit of a conundrum isn't it @Anonymous User and you have my sympahies with that!

For us, we're already a NOW TV subscriber (but on other devices rather than the Humax Youview PVR), so it's more a case of wanting to consolidate the service (alongside Netflix which we also use) through that one box really.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is SO frustrating. I just signed up as well, so I can binge watch greys anatomy whilst working on my computer. Except now I can't. So not only am I annoyed and will be cancelling as it's pointless, I'm gutted because I was really looking forward to it.

It is not very clear at all. It says it works on youview, doesn't say it HALF works. Very disappointed.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum @Anonymous User,

Perhaps the following 'Help Centre' article may be of use to you: What devices can I use to watch NOW TV?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well I know now lol, would be nice for it to show up somewhere when you sign up, especially when you specifically go to nowtv.com/youview as suggested by your tv.... Never mind

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yup..I just got suckered in by NowTV/YouView. Got an email from NowTV enticing me to view Trip to Spain...no deal on YouView.

Ergo Cancel.....bye bye NowTv.

By the way, your films are naff

Anonymous User
Not applicable
As commanda6 said its the BBC as a share holder in Youview who have been pushing the development of unicast streaming on the platform.
Multicast is a no go, as it's tied to specific isp's only - BT , PlusNet, & talktalk. If Nowtv brings entertainment & sport to the platform it has to have universal access regardless of isp, which means using unicast delivery, as is used by Nowtv on other platforms.
The good news is the BBC have recently really progressed the quality of the live linear channels in iplayer. You can watch them live or restart the stream from the begining of the program, and the quality is on a par with BBC HD channels from over the aerial.
This means that we now have broadcast quality live linear IP streams on Youview delivered by unicast. So it should be possible for Nowtv to finally do the same on Youview from within their app.
The other option would be to place the Nowtv live channels in the EPG. The problem with that is it seems that Arqiva are the gatekeepers for unicast IP channels in the Youview EPG , and they would require an extra fee.
Youview have stated that there is work to be done before the Nowtv channels can appear on the platform, and they have expressed a desire to eventually enable services like Nowtv to function with their live channels.
It's just taking an awfully long time!

The new BBC IP unicast channels are stunning in quality. I'm hoping this finally means we may see the full Nowtv service on Youview this year.
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

I don't have Youview, but I wonder if Now TV not having the rights to allow recording of their channels is a problem for Youview?

If Now TV channels could be recorded, content rights holders would want to be paid more.  This is one reason why Now TV is cheap compared to Sky's dish service.

If Now TV's channels were on Youview's EPG, they would probably want to allow recording.  Are there any IPTV channels on Youview which can't be recorded?  e.g. Can you record Comedy Central on Youview from BT?

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@DarylM wrote:

I don't have Youview, but I wonder if Now TV not having the rights to allow recording of their channels is a problem for Youview?

If Now TV channels could be recorded, content rights holders would want to be paid more.  This is one reason why Now TV is cheap compared to Sky's dish service.

If Now TV's channels were on Youview's EPG, they would probably want to allow recording.  Are there any IPTV channels on Youview which can't be recorded?  e.g. Can you record Comedy Central on Youview from BT?

Hi @DarylM

All of the ISP specific IP channels on Youview are recordable , but to the IP channels which are not ISP specific are not recordable

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.