cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Persistant buffering issue

Until a few months ago, we were able to successfully watch NowTV through our XBox One (wired), iPad (wireless), etc. Unfortunately in the last few months we've had a fairly persistant problem with buffering appearing randomly. Sometimes it's frequent, sometimes not. The buffering persists for around 5 minutes, then the playback continues. It can happen any time of day, and sometimes happens multiple times within 30 minutes - sometimes it doesn't happen for hours.

As part of trying to figure out what's going on, I've been implementing various bits of monitoring to try and pinpoint what the problem is. It'd be really useful to have something that I can issue a tcp, udp or icmp check against to be able to calculate packet loss and response times. Does anyone have an appropriate address and check that will work that I can use?

Alternatively is there any other advice regarding things I can try to isolate the problem.

FYI I've been trying to get help from BT without much luck. See the forum post here: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Inconsistent-NowTV-TeamSpeak-Online-Gaming-...

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Until a few months ago, we were able to successfully watch NowTV through our XBox One (wired), iPad (wireless), etc. Unfortunately in the last few months we've had a fairly persistant problem with buffering appearing randomly. Sometimes it's frequent, sometimes not. The buffering persists for around 5 minutes, then the playback continues. It can happen any time of day, and sometimes happens multiple times within 30 minutes - sometimes it doesn't happen for hours.

As part of trying to figure out what's going on, I've been implementing various bits of monitoring to try and pinpoint what the problem is. It'd be really useful to have something that I can issue a tcp, udp or icmp check against to be able to calculate packet loss and response times. Does anyone have an appropriate address and check that will work that I can use?

Alternatively is there any other advice regarding things I can try to isolate the problem.

FYI I've been trying to get help from BT without much luck. See the forum post here: https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Inconsistent-NowTV-TeamSpeak-Online-Gaming-connectivity/td-p/1692805

@Anonymous User Hi. I've been looking at way of directly capturing bandwidth info from your XBOX One and Ipad during usage of the NOW TV App. There is no easy way of actually monitoring packet loss and data usage using those devices without having a custom firmware for your router. Unless your using a 3rd Party router which may include a built in network monitor. However, if you have any sort of android device which you could use NOW TV on you could download a network monitoring app which you could run in the background and it should give you enough detail to determine when the problem occurs and if it is even a bandwidth issue. It could be the app. Try deleting cached data on your iPad and TV also as this can sometimes cause the issue. The only manual way of isolating the problem may be turning every other device connected to the network and using solely NOW TV. Let us know if it helps at all.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Interestingly when I use the BT Youview player the playback is fine. The Youview player only seems to support playing back Standard Definition so it would appear that the issue on the XBox is that it's struggling to play back high definition content. HD content should be available with the link I have but it would be nice if the XBox app allowed you to set whether SD or HD content is used or whether it should determine it dynamically as I think it currently does. In my case while I work through the kinks with BT it would be a good workaround if that was available.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Unfortunately I don't have access to an Android device.

Is there perhaps some sort of way that I could access a test stream, preferably from linux, in order to measure the streams performance, packet loss, etc? This would be a most useful way for me to ensure a consistent test over time and to be able to gather data from it.