cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Windows App design flaw

Your Windows App sucks.

Because it can't deal with a multi monitor setup.

I want to work on my primary and watch football on my secondary screens but 

when I click on my work screen, NOWTV App decides to close itself.

Because of this flaw I won't be renewing my subscription.

11 REPLIES 11
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User it is designed to work that way it is not a flaw. Of course you can define the main monitor in your settings on your device. Try changing your main monitor to your second monitor.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

this. What a piece of absolute garbage. BT sports app works fine in a second monitor because it doesnt go to full immediately.

Thye must have been very inexperienced programmers who worked on this app, and the comment blaming someone else shows this.

Amatuer level stuff. Pathetic. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Your Windows App sucks.

Because it can't deal with a multi monitor setup.

I want to work on my primary and watch football on my secondary screens but 

when I click on my work screen, NOWTV App decides to close itself.

Because of this flaw I won't be renewing my subscription.

@Anonymous User Hi, @Tony-D had the same problem with his dual monitor set up and through a lot of research, he found that HDCP was the problem here. We know it's frustrating. But unfortunately, this issue may never be fixed until HDCP Regulations are chnaged or we change the security features ascociated with our Windows App. I'll pass this on to the right team any @Anonymous User and report back to this thread if anything is mentioned regarding dual monitors. Thanks.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having the same problem with multimonitors.

I don't like the Windows App and am only using it because the nicer, "other" app that's opened by the web browser wasn't working and was throwing an entry point not found exception on the executable or dll or whatever. Is that fixed yet? because I really don't like running this windows app in a full window when we've now got Windows 10 that's supposed to run its apps in 'regular' windows with title bars etc.

Has anybody tested to see if hosting the app in one of these newer bordered windows might get around the problem you wrote about?

TBH, these viewer problems are business critical. They're what people pay money for, not freebies. Why does it take so long to get fixes?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ive just tried the suggested fix, ie switching main displays.

It doesn't appear to be the setting for "Make this my main monitor" that needs to be turned on/off (made no difference), it's the position of the monitors 1 and 2. Now TV wants to appear on Monitor 1.

My Monitor 1 identifies on the right of my pair, and my workspace is on the left, so its a mouse nuisance. Ill have to turn off to switch the cables round to test.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ignore last post. Ive switched cables round to get monitors correctly showing as 1,2 and set to to be main monitor and its showing there without vanishing. Couldn't delete my last post for some reason.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As far as I can tell "HDCP" is to do with the encryption of data for anti-piracy purposes, and ties in with HDMI, but has nothing to do with the screen (on a multiple screen Windows setup) one views an application on.  I think that mentioning it is a red herring, because the simple fact is that the app provided lacks some of the regular Windows "window" control options.  That has nothing to do with security features for the application or picture.

I'm typing this on one of my Linux PCs (which doesn't have any option for viewing) as my primary Windows 10 device is getting an update and I cannot check, but as previously mentioned, the user interface is under the control of the software development staff, and whether in-house or someone external to Now TV,  they were no doubt working to some written specification.

Perhaps whoever wrote the spec decided not to allow for moving or re-sizing the window and it's they who were at fault, and then the development team, if they could not see how inflexible the situation would be for an end-user, and not question it....  However, they have my profound apologies if they did question this decision and were told to implement exactly as written.

Can someone senior in the company explain the thinking behind this issue, as it seems to not have been thought out very well.  I really don't know the full "can do, cannot do" list but it seems some browsers are incompatible, too, and for what reason is far from clear.

Someone high up could surely reverse such dumb decisions, and improve the customer experience by not limiting which browsers can be used, as well as making it easy to move the viewing window to a second display, if the customer wishes.

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User glad that simple solution worked for you. Hope you enjoy the content 🙂
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

But this is not a simple solution for everyone.  

Someone may have a several hundred mile round trip just because your App has been designed without the regular Windows controls to adjust the size, drag the window,  and then make it full screen again. 

If your App could do that itwould be possible to drag to a second screen, and be a truly simple solution.  I have to visit Aberdeen to help a relative, because of this shortcoming (in my view, with 40 years in IT, this is a major user interface design flaw - removing features that most every other application provide for easy customer usage).