cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why have you stopped supporting Firefox.

Sorry – Mozilla Firefox no longer supports watching NOW TV on this device

We're working on something shiny and new for you, but in the meantime you can still watch NOW TV using Internet Explorer.

Surley the "shiney and new" thing should be rolled out so there is no break in me using Firefox

37 REPLIES 37
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 wrote:

I still have my trusty old Windows 7. 😉

(Plus a Windows 10 laptop from Christmas.) 🙂

I upgraded all my Windows 7 computers to Windows 8.1 not long after it's official release. Which turned out to be a wise decision because I was then able to take advantage of Microsoft's free Windows 10 upgrade last year Smiley Very Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I upgraded all my Windows 7 computers to Windows 8.1 not long after it's official release. Which turned out to be a wise decision because I was then able to take advantage of Microsoft's free Windows 10 upgrade last year Smiley Very Happy

Not that it really matters now but Windows 7 users were entitled to a free upgrade also, so you didnt need to be on 8/8.1 to get  it. Many people don't like the new Windows metro though and didnt take up the free offer and to be fair it wasn't very stable when it was relased so that is understandable.

Actually that is brown stuff dropping from under a bulls tail. Given the stringent device number limitatation AND the fact that Mozilla announced  they were dropping plugin support 18 MONTHS AGO how difficult would it have been for Now TV to make CUSTOMERS AWARE OF POTENTIAL ACCESS PROBLEMS IN ADVANCE?

Totally agree with that. In my experiance though NowTV are very slow in getting things done.. i think the tech team spends more time drinking coffee than doing work 😛

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Raevelyn wrote:

Totally agree with that. In my experiance though NowTV are very slow in getting things done.. i think the tech team spends more time drinking coffee than doing work 😛

NowTV might be a bit slow at doing stuff sometimes, but in my experience when they do bring stuff out. It tends to work pretty well, which is more than can be said some of the other providers sometimes. Just look at the reviews Amazon's 'new' Xbox one app and you'll see what I mean. I'd rather them be a bit slower bringing at stuff out and have the stuff work reasonably well. Then have them bring out stuff that quick that it doesn't work properly.

And yes NowTV Silverlight player wasn't brilliant but that has more to do with the shortcomings within Silverlight than anything else

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well that was only my opinion of course but my experiance is certainly not as positive as yours. Every slow long awaited release has been bugged (though of course thats happens, there will always be some little bugs) but when its reported they are slow to fix it or in quite a few cases never bother to. It's certainly not been a smooth ride for me. I'm sure if you search you'll find many posts about bugs ive reported myself, many of which still exist even now. Maybe i just notice things more easy, being a coder myself 😛

That being said i can't really just pick on NowTV, it's the world we live in now. Companies don't have the same Quality Assurance checks they used to have.. it costs money to do that and is much cheaper to do a quick test, release and let the public report the problems, then deal with them later - if there's time. Most aim more at dealines for releasing products to promote or boost the product and meet targets for annual income etc, which sadly more often than not results in an unfinished product.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
  • Have you read the reviews of the latest version of this app? Sky really need to get their act together!
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Firefix 52 no longer supports the legacy NPAPI technology (as per Edge and Chrome) so Silverlight, Java etc no longer function.  This improves the performance and security of the browser.

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/10/08/npapi-plugins-in-firefox/

This change was announced 18+ months ago, Sky are well aware they are using obslete technology which they should no longer be using

Now we are in a position where no curent, modern browser suppors the Silerlight technology that Now TV use (Microsoft has pretty much abaondoned the plugin even though you can still use it with IE)

As an alternative you can switch to Firefox 52 ESR which maintains NPAPI support until 2018, but you wont get any new features or funtionality, only bug/security fixes

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/

Not everyone wants to use apps, and Microsoft accounts.  Netflix and Amazon have very capable HTML5 solutions that work well over devices and browsers.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have been watching NOwTV on my PC for sometime.

I tried to use Chrome as this is my prefered browser, but this didn't support the required software.  Now Firefox is no longer supported.

My machine has MS Edge on it so I tried this, but that is also not supported.

NowTV should not be in the business of forcing me to use their prefered browser - either open up the browser list, or I will be cancelling.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum @Anonymous User,

From what I understand, support for Silverlight will be removed from all internet browsers including Internet Explorer browsers within the coming months. Which means that in order to access and view NOW TV content on a computer running Windows 8.1 (or higher), you will need to install the NOW TV Windows app.

After installing the NOW TV Windows app it is advisable to completely remove Silverlight (along with any unnecessarily browsers) from your computer!

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't have windows 10 nor is it suitable for the device I use to watch NowTV so I can't download the player.  Of all the crap NowTV email out I didnt see any that warned of or explained this change.  This is arrogant discourtesy.

My setiments are with the OP: What gives NowTV the right to dictate how I consume this service? I have a Sony TV, is this permitted or are sky going to be funell its viewers into Samsung?!  IE crashes a lot and is not reliable enough to play the service I subsribe to.  Firefox is open source!! How can you not support it unless this is a board level decision (collective with Microsoft) to manipulate and control how users engage in the market. 

NowTV, you are not cheap and I have no choice of provider (no cable available, no satelite), making a mockery out of this so called capitalist system.  You need to start providing the service you charge for, I expect to view the content I pay for on any device on any recent OS.  If not, I expect a refund or discount to reflect the dilution of service.

I watch this mainly for football but I can easily get this for free over the internet.  My current situation is paying £30+/month for a restricted service or pay nothing for a feed that will work on any device with the same quality/reliability.    You may think this is wrong but then so is allowing oneself to be ripped off by supplier in an uncompetitve market that does not channel revenue into development.  NowTV offer nothing extra so on what planet do you expect to be paid for that....

your choice.....

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum @Anonymous User,

Perhaps the following 'Help Centre' article may be of use to you: What devices can I use to watch NOW TV?

Personally speaking, I'm currently accessing the NOW TV service using a NOW TV 'black' box, which is connected to a Panasonic TV 😉

Cheers