cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why have you stopped supporting Firefox.

Sorry – Mozilla Firefox no longer supports watching NOW TV on this device

We're working on something shiny and new for you, but in the meantime you can still watch NOW TV using Internet Explorer.

Surley the "shiney and new" thing should be rolled out so there is no break in me using Firefox

37 REPLIES 37
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User hello 🙂

Why not download the NOWTV app?

Both Windows and Mac have the app in their app stores. 😉

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 wrote:

@Anonymous User hello 🙂

Actually @Anonymous User Mozilla are to blame here. They pulled Firefox support for Silverlight

@caseyb1993 is correct. If you have Windows 8.1 or 10. You can use the Windows app. In fact, if you got Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 you should have been using the Windows app a long time ago.

If you're still on Windows 7. Your only option is to use Internet Explorer. Or if you have a TV/monitor with HDMI you could get a now TV box.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5
Thanks @commanda6. 🙂
I keep forgetting it isn't for windows 7. 😄
I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@commanda6 wrote:

@caseyb1993 wrote:

@Anonymous User hello 🙂

Actually @Anonymous User Mozilla are to blame here. They pulled Firefox support for Silverlight

@caseyb1993 is correct. If you have Windows 8.1 or 10. You can use the Windows app. In fact, if you got Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 you should have been using the Windows app a long time ago.

If you're still on Windows 7. Your only option is to use Internet Explorer. Or if you have a TV/monitor with HDMI you could get a now TV box.

"Actually @Anonymous User Mozilla are to blame here. They pulled Firefox support for Silverlight"

Actually that is brown stuff dropping from under a bulls tail. Given the stringent device number limitatation AND the fact that Mozilla announced  they were dropping plugin support 18 MONTHS AGO how difficult would it have been for Now TV to make CUSTOMERS AWARE OF POTENTIAL ACCESS PROBLEMS IN ADVANCE?

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
"Actually @Anonymous User Mozilla are to blame here. They pulled Firefox support for Silverlight"

Indeed...

Which now leaves just 'Internet Explorer' as the only 'official' browser option. Which makes sense as both Internet Explorer and Silverlight are Microsoft products.

But given that Microsoft announced way back in late 2012 that Silverlight had reached 'End of Life' and new development ceased early 2013, it wont be long before this browser option becomes too unstable to run NOW TV content and is withdrawn too!

The endless march of technology moves forward. And we all have to move with it. Whether we want to or not Smiley Surprised

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The browser "Pale Moon" (Which is a fork of the Firefox browser, and still in active development) - latest update was to Pale Moon 27.2 on 18th March 2017. supports Microsoft's Sllverlight (unlike the new Firefox update!)  Pale Moon's present future roads map states it will continue to support NPAPI plug-ins (Silverlight. Flash Player etc.)

I've been using Pale Moon on my laptop, which uses Windows 7. Now TV streaming runs fine on it, Unlike Firefox, after it upgraded itself to version  52.

I don't intend upgrading what is a still current operting system until neccessary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Moon_(web_browser)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks very much, best post I've read on all of this, and the only one which works.

I'm a LONG way from advanced in any of this, but will now use Pale Moon just for NOW TV.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry, looked around for this specific glitch, didn't find it.

Use NOWTV on a Windows 7 laptop, have done for some time. Just had to switch to IE for the obvious reason.

Thing is, when I click something - ANYthing: drama from box set, sport to stream now - the usual black square screen comes up, with the top-right corner white cross, but nothing loads. No message, no waiting wheel, busy icon, just the dead black square.

All the usual add-in type things enabled, but nothing. I'm paying for Entertainment every month, Sport as and when. Not for long at this rate: any ideas, anyone?

Thanks.

PS, been to the (apparently) relevant Black NOW TV playback screen on Windows PC but nothing there helps.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Sorry, looked around for this specific glitch, didn't find it.

Use NOWTV on a Windows 7 laptop, have done for some time. Just had to switch to IE for the obvious reason.

Thing is, when I click something - ANYthing: drama from box set, sport to stream now - the usual black square screen comes up, with the top-right corner white cross, but nothing loads. No message, no waiting wheel, busy icon, just the dead black square.

All the usual add-in type things enabled, but nothing. I'm paying for Entertainment every month, Sport as and when. Not for long at this rate: any ideas, anyone?

Thanks.

PS, been to the (apparently) relevant Black NOW TV playback screen on Windows PC but nothing there helps.

@Anonymous User

Hi Jez

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Could you let us know what steps you have tried?

And have you tried the steps on our help centre here https://help.nowtv.com/article/Black-Screen-Windows-PC

Thanks

Aaron