cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

When is silverlight going to stop being a requirement? Do I have to leave and go elsewhere?

So when is NowTV going to get updated to allow the use of anything other than Internet Explorer which even it's maker Microsoft want to stop us using?

Google Chrome support for silverlight went a while ago, Opera doesn't support it and now Firefox have cut it off.  Oh and yes Microsoft don't even support it in their current generation web browser Edge. 

sort it out fast as game of thrones is coming and I would like to use NowTV to watch it.  It would be a shame to have to wait for the DVD release. 

12 REPLIES 12
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

For over a year it's been recommended that in order to access and view NOW TV content on a computer running Windows 8.1 (or higher), you will need to install the NOW TV Windows app.

After installing the NOW TV Windows app it is advisable to completely remove Silverlight (along with any unnecessarily browsers) from your computer!

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm sorry but I completely agree with the original poster. Advising customers to use an 'app' to get a better service is not a solution and does not remove the elephant in the room. Using a browser is still listed as a supported platform but using it is awkward and offers an inferior service which to be fair, is unacceptable in 2017. 

To be blunt, NOW TV's browser streaming functionality is extremely lacking and is far behind what is expected and its competition. Web technology has progressed greatly over the past few years yet NOW TV/Sky refuse to update its web service and continue to support their platform with a dead technology in Silverlight.  Just look at BBC IPlayer, Netflix, Amazon or even YouTube web players and you immediately can see the difference... their online presence far surpasses anything NOW TV offers today and is much easier to navigate and use.

I can only hope they take their web service seriously or people will continue to see NOW TV as a second rate service. It's not just about the content the service provides. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

i agree with you

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I dont have windows 10 an dont really want it so cant get this damn app but i still cant access my TVnow or SKy pacages from my compluter.. i ahve tried everytihng and before u go on about windows 10.. i tried it  it cause me to loose over 400gb of data from a hard drive which Microshit would do nothing  to help fix as they "gave warnings" that it might delete data on their we page... 400 GB is not a little thing!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

THanks for nothing SIlver light is a giant ple of poop i have not ben able to watch sky tv an now TV on my computer for over 2 years now i am reduced to watching it on a 7" tab yet thay still DO F'ALL about it because were saps paying for a ###### service

Anonymous User
Not applicable

there is not app to play this on you pc/laptop

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

First things first... What type of computer do you have (ie: Windows PC or Mac). And which operating system version is it running?

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Windows 7 an no im not going to upgrade to 10 as last time i tried it cost me 400 GB of unretrivable data on my external

I have un/installed countless times i ahve tried all the "help" tricks NOTHING i have even switched of my firewall an internet protection thinking it was that an NO i dont have AVAST

FYI im not a computer illiterate.

Silverlight is so ###### even Microshitty have washed their hands of it .. how slow are you not to have gotten rid of the platform years ago

Anonymous User
Not applicable

its like a broken record i ahve windows 7 on a PC i have followed all the instructions you an the offical Now site says but it still does not work, i have all updates, no Adware i have even tempted fate an turned my fire wall and internet securtiy of thinking it might be interfering its not. 

The fact that so many people have the same problem over an over again for a long period of time just shows how ###### silverlight is, i say again its so ###### even microsoft have abandoned it for their newer platforms