cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Updated Windows 10 to latest version, now I get told my device limit has been reached

Wow, you guys are going from bad to worse.

A prefectly normal Windows update (using Windows 10) and all of a sudden the NowTV website is telling me that I've reached my device limit and as I only upgraded to Windows 10 last week, I can't remove the device and add it back until next month, which might be tomorrow or in three weeks time...

Thanks for making the worst possible streaming service imaginable as far as allow your customers to actually watch what they have paid for.

Edit: Oh wow, it gets even better, now I'm getting an error message on my tablet (which recently was upgraded to Android 6) that I've used up my montly allowance for adding new devices. Seriously WHAT IS GOING ON?!?! Why am I even paying you guys for a service that is clearly completely unusable for me simply because I updated the operating system??? How incompetent is the NowTV software team?? It really can't be THIS hard to make decent software.

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for posting, I can see this has been resolved via our livechat support. You are only allowed to add one device per month so even if you have spare slots in your account you will have to wait till the 1st of the month to add another device.

Cheers

Ranj

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's hardly a solution to the issue. 

First of all, I did NOT add any new devices. I upgraded the OS and all of a sudden the two devices were no longer recognised by your terrible device handling system. I have never come across an issue like this on any other software I've used in the 20+ years I've been using computers on a professional level. I feel sorry for normal consumers that would simply be wondering if they'd been hacked or what was going on, since this is something that simply shouldn't be happening.

NowTV clearly has a lot of work to do before it becomes a viable consumer solution and I think you should spend a bit more of your funds towards creating better software instead of wasting it on sponsoring TV shows and advertisment.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

And of course, it happened again. Another update for Windows 10, another new device.

So now I have my PC listed three times over, since I also installed the NowTV app after someone gave me a pointer here on the forums.

That's just insane, how can the same device appear as three different devices?

You guys really need to find some more adept software developers...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah...same problwm here... every time thete is a windows update,i have a device added...that is just crazy..
Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User,

Thanks for posting.

Sorry to hear that, we are aware of this problem and we're looking to get it addressed. For the time being if you do need devices clearing we can do this for you. 

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having the same problem. Windows has updated and it does nt recognise my comuter. I cant find the link to contact you directly either!!

Please help

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, unfortunately, the way NowTV verifies your system is flawed. Everytime Windows 10 performs an OS update (or you upgrade from another OS to Windows 10) NOWTV will detect it as a new device (which is incorrect).

The only way to clear this issue, contact the LIVE Chat help centre, they will allocate another slot for you. It is a real pain and I think NowTV need to rethink the way their software checks the validity of the devices you are using.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I am having the same problem. Windows has updated and it does nt recognise my comuter. I cant find the link to contact you directly either!!

Please help

Hi @Anonymous User

anybody that is using Windows 10 or even Windows 8 shouldn't really be using Silverlight any more. Whilst Silverlight should work in Windows 10 if used with Internet Explorer. Silverlight isn't really officially supported in Windows 10. As pointed out in an earlier post above an OS upgrade would result in your PC being seen as a new device. @Anonymous User But that's not specifically Down to  nowTV, it's down to the way Silverlight DRM itself works. so It actually Microsoft's fault. Most browser vendor's have now actually announced that they are dropping Silverlight support within the next 12 to 18 months, so the only browser left which will support Silverlight. After that will be Internet Explorer.

If you're using Windows 8/10 you can use the now TV Windows app instead of Silverlight. This bypasses Silverlight completely, which means you should have far less issues. The app can be downloaded using the Microsoft store on Windows 8/10. It is downloaded and installed free of charge, but you will need a Microsoft account. 

Be aware that the nowTV app will be seen as a different device by now TVs systems. So if you have four devices in your account. You would need to remove one of them. Because of the way the DRM in the HTML 5 based app works once the app is registered as a device it should in theory always work without any problems. Your PC would only then be identified as a new device if you performed a complete clean OS install not an OS upgrade. After performing an OS upgrade. It should still be seen as the same device. If you're using the app.

Another bonus of the Windows 8 app is that you get 720p HD on demand.

If you run into into device management issues live chat might sort this out for you. If you explain the problems you've been having with Silverlight and the fact that you have Windows 8/10.

To get to live chat click here. Then scroll down to the bottom of the page. Click "contact us" and then click "live chat"

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.