cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

There's an error connecting............... Service updates can be found on our community.

Keep getting "There's an error connecting, please try again in a few moments. Service updates can be found on our community." when I try to play anyhing on my PC no explanation and i can not see any service update to assist.

Thanks Rob

42 REPLIES 42
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have exactly the same issue, which started all of a sudden on Sunday night.  Using Windows 7.  Tried both IE and Firefox - same problem.  I reported it to the NOW TV customer service team who had no idea what was causing the issue.  They suggested it was my internet connection but I got this checked out with my ISP and it's fine.  It's now been referred to the "higher technical team" for investigation, and I haven't heard anything further. 

The problem is only on my PC.  I have reinstalled Silverlight and updated my graphics card but that hasn't made any difference.  If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them, as the customer service guys seemed pretty stumped.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the same problem.

I tried contacting the help team through live chat, but nothing they suggested worked. Then they handed my problem over to someone else who emailed and basically suggested everything that the first guy had already suggested, and supprise supprise it din't work.

I have searched the internet quite thoroughly for a solution, and, as far as I can see, there isn't one.

This is UTTERLY RIDICULOUS!!! They have had so many people complaining about this issue, why have not fixed it.

I came to NOW TV with high hopes, but I'm sorry to say that so far it has been the all round worst service I have ever experienced.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have the same problem.

I tried contacting the help team through live chat, but nothing they suggested worked. Then they handed my problem over to someone else who emailed and basically suggested everything that the first guy had already suggested, and supprise supprise it din't work.

I have searched the internet quite thoroughly for a solution, and, as far as I can see, there isn't one.

This is UTTERLY RIDICULOUS!!! They have had so many people complaining about this issue, why have not fixed it.

I came to NOW TV with high hopes, but I'm sorry to say that so far it has been the all round worst service I have ever experienced.

Hi @Anonymous User

what version of Windows are you using?

If you're using Windows 8/10 you can use the now TV Windows 8/10 app instead of Silverlight. This bypasses Silverlight completely, which means you should have far less issues. The app can be downloaded using the Microsoft store on Windows 8/10. It is downloaded and installed free of charge, but you will need a Microsoft account. 

Be aware that the now TV app will be seen as a different device by now TVs systems. So if you have four devices in your account. You would need to remove one of them

Another bonus of the Windows 8 app is that you get 720p HD on demand.

If you run into into device management issues live chat might sort this out for you. If you explain the problems you've been having with Silverlight.

To get to live chat click here. Then scroll down to the bottom of the page. Click "contact us" and then click "live chat"

In my experience, the problem is usually down to Silverlight but unfortunately those still using Windows 7 have no choice but to use it. Silverlight hasn't received a major update from Microsoft in years and is now somewhat flawed. When Silverlight isn't involved nowTV works very well.

If you're using Windows 7 post back and I'll try my best to help youSmiley Happy if you post back mention me by typing @commanda6 in your post and I will be notified of your reply

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@commanda6 I'm using Windows 7.  Be grateful for any assistance as there has been radio silence from NOW TV.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@commanda6 I'm using Windows 7.  Be grateful for any assistance as there has been radio silence from NOW TV.

Hi @Anonymous User

First off, make sure you have the latest 32-bit GB version of Firefox installed to download the latest Firefox install file. Click here . Then install Firefox the install wizard will update Firefox as needed. Or install it completely if it's not installed

Then go to the following URL

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2608523#bookmark-fixitforme

Press the download button just below "fix it for me" to get the Microsoft auto repair wizard for Silverlight. After downloading start the wizard and follow the instructions. While the wizard is running. Be sure to close any web browsers you may have open.

After the wizard has finished has finished open Firefox and press (Ctrl + shift + A) on your keyboard. This should open the Firefox add-ons dialogue , select plugins, find Silverlight and select always activate after this close and restart Firefox.

(If you're unable to find Silverlight into Firefox add-ons dialogue, then that means fix it for me wizard hasn't reinstalled it automatically for you, it should do. to install it manually . Click here . Then click "download now" and follow the install wizard. Remember to untick the boxes that Microsoft have to me ticked for you in the install wizard Smiley Wink it's recommended that you close your browser when installing Silverlight.)

Sorry I know this process is a bit long winded Smiley Sad but after this, you should hopefully be able to play now TV content in Firefox login to your nowTV account and attempt to play some content.

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

PS note that in roughly nine months time Mozilla. The makers of Firefox are dropping Silverlight support. At which point the only browser left which will still support Silverlight will be Internet Explorer 11  But until then Firefox is the best browser to use.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

First off, make sure you have the latest 32-bit GB version of Firefox installed to download the latest Firefox install file. Click here . Then install Firefox. The install wizard will update Firefox as needed. Or install it completely if it's not installed

Then go to the following URL

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2608523#bookmark-fixitforme

Press the download button just below "fix it for me" to get the Microsoft auto repair wizard for Silverlight. After downloading start the wizard and follow the instructions. While the wizard is running. Be sure to close any web browsers you may have open.

After the wizard has finished has finished open Firefox and press (Ctrl + shift + A) on your keyboard. This should open the Firefox add-ons dialogue , select plugins, find Silverlight and select always activate after this close and restart Firefox.

(If you're unable to find Silverlight into Firefox add-ons dialogue, then that means fix it for me wizard hasn't reinstalled it automatically for you, it should do. to install it manually . Click here . Then click "download now" and follow the install wizard. Remember to untick the boxes that Microsoft have  ticked for you in the install wizard Smiley Wink it's recommended that you close your browser when installing Silverlight.)

Sorry I know this process is a bit long winded Smiley Sad but after this, you should hopefully be able to play now TV content in Firefox login to your nowTV account and attempt to play some content.

PS note that in roughly nine months time Mozilla. The makers of Firefox are dropping Silverlight support. At which point the only browser left which will still support Silverlight will be Internet Explorer 11  But until then Firefox is the best browser to use.

@Anonymous User  sorry for the errors. Smiley Sad I have corrected them in the quote above

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@commanda6 Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive response, but unfortunately it didn't resolve the problem Smiley Sad  I have the same issue when I try to use NOW TV with IE too.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@commanda6 Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a comprehensive response, but unfortunately it didn't resolve the problem Smiley Sad  I have the same issue when I try to use NOW TV with IE too.

Hi @Anonymous User

I do have one more thing you could try. Have a look at this help article section of it that you're mainly interested in. In this case is the section titled "rebuild Silverlight database" although you should have a look at the whole article just in case you find something that helps you

PS @Anonymous User the link you gave only takes you to a page full of questions and no answers. But I think you were referring to involved resetting playready. Would I be correct?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@commanda6 OK, there seems to be a fualt with the link, so I have just done a copy and paste of the actual instructions:

"Here are copies of two messages I have been posting on the sky forums:
•First is re-installing Silverlight (SL) with compatibility for Windows 7 and also run as administrator both switched on.
•Second is making the browser run as an administrator.

MAC? If anyone has similar issues with other O/S and this approach works then maybe they could post solutions here.

Making Sky Go work on Windows 8.1 in Chrome (see below for IE and other browsers):
1.Uninstall Silverlight (SL). (open Control Panel then Programs and Features etc).
2.Download SL from the Microsoft site to a folder you can easily find (do not install SL yet).
3.Restart your computer.
4.Right click on the SL download file and select properties from the menu.
5.Open the Compatibility tab.
6.Click the Change settings for all users button to display another dialog:
7.Change compatibility to Windows 7 by checking the box and selecting Windows 7.
8.Check Run this Program as an Administrator.
9.Click Apply.
10.Click OK to close this dialog.
11.Click OK to close the original dialog.
12.Install SL by right clicking and selecting Run as Administrator (may not have to do this but this is what I did, just I case).
13.Run Chrome.
14.Login to Watch Sky.

I have got it to work on other browsers by running those browsers (IE or Safari) as an administrator.

For example for IE:
1.Install Silverlight as descriobed in my previous post (uninstall, download, restart, change compatibility to Windows 7 and run as administrator.
2.Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer (32 bit) or C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer (64 bit).
3.Right click on IExplore.exe to display a menu.
4.Click "run as administrator".
5.Go to Sky go etc.
6.Could also copy IExplorer.exe and past as shortcut somewhere, right click and run as admin.

should work now. "

Those are the instructions I followed.  (please note, Chrome no longer supports Silverlight)

I hope this helps  others as much as it helped me.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@commanda6 OK, there seems to be a fualt with the link, so I have just done a copy and paste of the actual instructions:

"Here are copies of two messages I have been posting on the sky forums:
•First is re-installing Silverlight (SL) with compatibility for Windows 7 and also run as administrator both switched on.
•Second is making the browser run as an administrator.

MAC? If anyone has similar issues with other O/S and this approach works then maybe they could post solutions here.

Making Sky Go work on Windows 8.1 in Chrome (see below for IE and other browsers):
1.Uninstall Silverlight (SL). (open Control Panel then Programs and Features etc).
2.Download SL from the Microsoft site to a folder you can easily find (do not install SL yet).
3.Restart your computer.
4.Right click on the SL download file and select properties from the menu.
5.Open the Compatibility tab.
6.Click the Change settings for all users button to display another dialog:
7.Change compatibility to Windows 7 by checking the box and selecting Windows 7.
8.Check Run this Program as an Administrator.
9.Click Apply.
10.Click OK to close this dialog.
11.Click OK to close the original dialog.
12.Install SL by right clicking and selecting Run as Administrator (may not have to do this but this is what I did, just I case).
13.Run Chrome.
14.Login to Watch Sky.

I have got it to work on other browsers by running those browsers (IE or Safari) as an administrator.

For example for IE:
1.Install Silverlight as descriobed in my previous post (uninstall, download, restart, change compatibility to Windows 7 and run as administrator.
2.Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer (32 bit) or C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer (64 bit).
3.Right click on IExplore.exe to display a menu.
4.Click "run as administrator".
5.Go to Sky go etc.
6.Could also copy IExplorer.exe and past as shortcut somewhere, right click and run as admin.

should work now. "

Those are the instructions I followed.  (please note, Chrome no longer supports Silverlight)

I hope this helps  others as much as it helped me.

Hi @Anonymous User @Anonymous User

One thing to add to that. NowTV does not officially support the use of 64-bit web browsers with Silverlight. Although I believe there are workarounds for that. Although I don't know what those workarounds are.