cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV tring to run via app instead of browser

I've been happily running NowTV via Windows 10/IE11/Silverlight for months. Suddenly it is now trying to force me to use App - something has changed in last few days but I can't determine what. Silverlight still there and enabled. I have a 2nd PC also running Windows 10/IE11/Silverlight and that still works via browser. I sign into NowTV, access MyTV, select program to watch then get a message from IE saying 'Do you want to allow this website to open an app on your computer' (i.e. now taking you down the route of installing/using Now TV Player). Other computer does not bring up this message and works straight from browser. Reinstalled Silverlight, cleared cache - same problem. I definitely want to keep running from browser....................... Any ideas anyone ?

46 REPLIES 46
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. There's been a steady tickle of people reporting the same thing on the forum so it could be NOW TV are phasing out the in-browser option (they've been hinting it will have to happen at some point with Silverlight support withdrawing) but it's interesting it's only affecting one of your machines at the moment. Can't check myself as I'm a Mac user and we've been moved onto the Player for a while now. 

I'll tag @Tony-D from the NOW TV Team to see if he has any info. It might also be interesting to pop onto live chat and see what they say. You can get to live chat from the Contact Us page

https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch

(expand the Anything Else section at the bottom for options)

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Andy wrote:

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. There's been a steady tickle of people reporting the same thing on the forum so it could be NOW TV are phasing out the in-browser option (they've been hinting it will have to happen at some point with Silverlight support withdrawing) but it's interesting it's only affecting one of your machines at the moment. Can't check myself as I'm a Mac user and we've been moved onto the Player for a while now. 

I'll tag @Tony-D from the NOW TV Team to see if he has any info. It might also be interesting to pop onto live chat and see what they say. You can get to live chat from the Contact Us page

Thanks for the tag @Andy 

@Anonymous User I'm gonna have a look around at maybe disabling pop-ups or any kind of automation when trying to use silverlight to watch NOW TV. I'll let you know what i find 🙂

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Tony-D wrote:

@Andy wrote:

@Anonymous User

Thanks for the tag @Andy 

@Anonymous User I'm gonna have a look around at maybe disabling pop-ups or any kind of automation when trying to use silverlight to watch NOW TV. I'll let you know what i find 🙂

@Anonymous User Can you try rolling back to IE10 or even going to Internet Options > Advanced > Security > Custom > Prevent Windows from opening file or it could be Prompt when downloading softawre. IF you fo see the option for preventing, then try that first. I can't check myself as our Options Settings is locked out by our Network admin. Thanks

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tony-D

Have you had any luck finding out why IE isn't working properly yet?

I've had the same problem (https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Windows-PCs-Laptops/Internet-Explorer-has-stopped-playing-again/td-p/...).

And I really prefer to stream through a browser rather than an App, but it has suddenly stopped working and pressuring me to use the App.

Thanks

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi Tony-D

Have you had any luck finding out why IE isn't working properly yet?

I've had the same problem (https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Windows-PCs-Laptops/Internet-Explorer-has-stopped-playing-again/td-p/456651).

And I really prefer to stream through a browser rather than an App, but it has suddenly stopped working and pressuring me to use the App.

Thanks

@Anonymous User I'm on the case, i've informed the team leads of each revelant department an dhopefully i can get some confirmation if this is supposed to be the case. The browser (if slightly outdated) is a much better experience when trying to view NOW TV Content than the app on the Windows Store.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am experiencing the same issue and I have to say I have had enough now.  NOW TV was marketed as an online/streaming product that you could watch via the internet on browsers, Sky's answer to Netflix so to speak.  I purchased a subscription, started watching on Chrome and within a week started getting the f20000 error message, uninstalling/reinstalling etc did nothing to change this.  I then migrate across to IE to watch NOW TV using Silverlight which has been working fine but now I am being forced to download the NOW Player, all this would be absolutely no issue if the damned thing worked but no, I am getting the f20000 error again.  I have spent all evening uninstalling/reinstalling various software, turning off and turning on my pc... nothing, waste of my money and waste of time.  

I run windows 7 pro, my laptop doesn't support apps, I now can't watch a damned thing on NOW and have just paid for another month.  This issue has been going on for a long time now, to take away the only viable way of watching/using NOW TV in browser when it was marketed as a product allowing people to watch tv in their browser - without first fixing the NOW Player issues has effectively rendered this a useless unusable service. 

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

I am experiencing the same issue and I have to say I have had enough now.  NOW TV was marketed as an online/streaming product that you could watch via the internet on browsers, Sky's answer to Netflix so to speak.  I purchased a subscription, started watching on Chrome and within a week started getting the f20000 error message, uninstalling/reinstalling etc did nothing to change this.  I then migrate across to IE to watch NOW TV using Silverlight which has been working fine but now I am being forced to download the NOW Player, all this would be absolutely no issue if the damned thing worked but no, I am getting the f20000 error again.  I have spent all evening uninstalling/reinstalling various software, turning off and turning on my pc... nothing, waste of my money and waste of time.  

I run windows 7 pro, my laptop doesn't support apps, I now can't watch a damned thing on NOW and have just paid for another month.  This issue has been going on for a long time now, to take away the only viable way of watching/using NOW TV in browser when it was marketed as a product allowing people to watch tv in their browser - without first fixing the NOW Player issues has effectively rendered this a useless unusable service. 

@Anonymous User Currently chatting in the backgroud about this and i've mentioned your point of being on Windows 7 so hopefully i can get a definitive answer by end of business today. Thank you for posting this in forum by the way. Helps alot 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-Dwrote:

@Anonymous User Currently chatting in the backgroud about this and i've mentioned your point of being on Windows 7 so hopefully i can get a definitive answer by end of business today. Thank you for posting this in forum by the way. Helps alot 🙂

Hi Tony-D - I didn't say before but I'ma Windows 7 person too - but surely it shouldn't make a difference which version of windows we use if we're using the browsers to stream - wouldn't it be easier to use the browser than making an app specific to each Windows?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

hello i tried the chat last week . So far they have been useless. No one has really bothered to

a) come back to us with an answer on what is going on. THat has been a bit  more than a week now.

b) no one has offered a solution

c) no one has replied to last email and actually replied to the question that was asked (a week ago),

d) no one has even apologised for the mishap.

That is my personal experience, and from the look of things in this forum, I am not the only one with this issue.

I have a laptop and a PC and both are affected.

Regards

@Tony-Dwrote:

@Tony-Dwrote:

@Andywrote:

@Anonymous User

Thanks for the tag @Andy 

@Anonymous User Can you try rolling back to IE10 or even going to Internet Options > Advanced > Security > Custom > Prevent Windows from opening file or it could be Prompt when downloading softawre. IF you fo see the option for preventing, then try that first. I can't check myself as our Options Settings is locked out by our Network admin. Thanks