cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV tring to run via app instead of browser

I've been happily running NowTV via Windows 10/IE11/Silverlight for months. Suddenly it is now trying to force me to use App - something has changed in last few days but I can't determine what. Silverlight still there and enabled. I have a 2nd PC also running Windows 10/IE11/Silverlight and that still works via browser. I sign into NowTV, access MyTV, select program to watch then get a message from IE saying 'Do you want to allow this website to open an app on your computer' (i.e. now taking you down the route of installing/using Now TV Player). Other computer does not bring up this message and works straight from browser. Reinstalled Silverlight, cleared cache - same problem. I definitely want to keep running from browser....................... Any ideas anyone ?

46 REPLIES 46
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D I have tried looking for the option to disable prompt when downloading software/prevent windows from opening file, neither option is apparent unfortunately.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I downloaded their app and when trying to play through the app it said I needed to disable a device in order to use this one when I have always been watching through the same computer.  So frustrating (and have no other devices available).  Grr so now I can't watch on my laptop. 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Have a word with Live Chat, explain what's happened and see if they can sort something out for you.

To reach live chat go to the following help page
https://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/managing-my-devices

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have tried live chat. THere is no use.

No solution offered

No one seems intereseted in sorting this mess out.

I am really fed up.

@Anonymous Userwrote:

hello i tried the chat last week . So far they have been useless. No one has really bothered to

a) come back to us with an answer on what is going on. THat has been a bit  more than a week now.

b) no one has offered a solution

c) no one has replied to last email and actually replied to the question that was asked (a week ago),

d) no one has even apologised for the mishap.

That is my personal experience, and from the look of things in this forum, I am not the only one with this issue.

I have a laptop and a PC and both are affected.

Regards

@Tony-Dwrote:

@Tony-Dwrote:

@Andywrote:

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. There's been a steady tickle of people reporting the same thing on the forum so it could be NOW TV are phasing out the in-browser option (they've been hinting it will have to happen at some point with Silverlight support withdrawing) but it's interesting it's only affecting one of your machines at the moment. Can't check myself as I'm a Mac user and we've been moved onto the Player for a while now. 

I'll tag @Tony-D from the NOW TV Team to see if he has any info. It might also be interesting to pop onto live chat and see what they say. You can get to live chat from the Contact Us page

https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch

(expand the Anything Else section at the bottom for options)

Thanks for the tag @Andy 

@Anonymous User I'm gonna have a look around at maybe disabling pop-ups or any kind of automation when trying to use silverlight to watch NOW TV. I'll let you know what i find 🙂

@Anonymous User Can you try rolling back to IE10 or even going to Internet Options > Advanced > Security > Custom > Prevent Windows from opening file or it could be Prompt when downloading softawre. IF you fo see the option for preventing, then try that first. I can't check myself as our Options Settings is locked out by our Network admin. Thanks

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User I've been away for a few days but our team has passed the continuous feedback (thanks for taking your time to write it all in here btw) to the dev team and they are hard at work at improving the service via the NOW TV Player. I understand all of your frustration and hopefully i will have a resolve for you all soon and please come back to this page as i will be posting updates here. I'll make sure to to tag you all so you don't miss a beat.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-Dwrote:

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User @Anonymous User I've been away for a few days but our team has passed the continuous feedback (thanks for taking your time to write it all in here btw) to the dev team and they are hard at work at improving the service via the NOW TV Player. I understand all of your frustration and hopefully i will have a resolve for you all soon and please come back to this page as i will be posting updates here. I'll make sure to to tag you all so you don't miss a beat.

Hi @Tony-D thanks for coming back to us - it's nice to know that someone is listening and doing something about all this 🙂

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-Dwrote:

Hi @Tony-D thanks for coming back to us - it's nice to know that someone is listening and doing something about all this 🙂

Don't worry @Anonymous User i'll been a bit of a pain to the guys trying to get this sorted lol. Will update asap 🙂 Thank you.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D I just thought - you said that the Development team are working on improving the NowTV player - that includes streaming through browsers right?

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D I just thought - you said that the Development team are working on improving the NowTV player - that includes streaming through browsers right?

Well see, it's the whole silverlight no longer being supoorted thing that is stumping development and they are just trying to figure out the best way of implementing a better way to watch. Browser watching, without the need for silverlight is viable it's just what we decide to do really. This week i should have a lot more updates anyway and i've been passing my own personal feedback on the situation too @Anonymous User 🙂

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Well see, it's the whole silverlight no longer being supoorted thing that is stumping development and they are just trying to figure out the best way of implementing a better way to watch. Browser watching, without the need for silverlight is viable it's just what we decide to do really. This week i should have a lot more updates anyway and i've been passing my own personal feedback on the situation too @Anonymous User 🙂

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User and everyone else. Still awaiting updates on this as of today. Will keep updating this even if i know nothing so you know i haven't forgot.