cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No sound

Hi, I used a day pass for the first time on Saturday to watch the cup final. I had the game loaded on laptop but to get it onto a bigger screen I used a hdmi cable from the laptop to the TV. I got the picture on TV fine but only sound was coming from the laptop. I'm not very good with computers, I did have a play around with the sound setting on laptop and TV but couldn't get it working. Any idea what I need to do to get sound on the TV? Thanks!

17 REPLIES 17
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just tried using both HDMI ports with no luck. Thank you for the suggestion.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Do other media playback devices plugged into your TV's HDMI ports pass sound okay?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The only device we have connected to the TV since getting it is a DVD player which was using a scart lead, sound was fine with that.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

The only device we have connected to the TV since getting it is a DVD player which was using a scart lead, sound was fine with that.

That's a shame... As somehow we need to ascertain that your HDMI ports are working correctly.  

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

That's a shame... As somehow we need to ascertain that your HDMI ports are working correctly.  

Hi @Anonymous User @SeeMoreDigital @Tony-D

I'm pretty sure I know what the cause of this issue is , although I can't say for definite

@Anonymous User this is going to seem like a strange question, given that you are having problems with audio, but what graphics hardware does your computer use. I'm asking because HDMI audio capability on computers is often treated as a video driver component rather than a sound driver component. Does your PC use Intel HD graphics, AMD or Nvidia?

There can sometimes be an issue with Intel HD graphics where if you install the graphics driver when the computer is not connected to HDMI display. It doesn't install HDMI audio component of the driver, which might explain why you can't get any audio.this issue happens because Intel use installers, which automatically determine everything for you. (I know dumb idea, isn't it, why not always install the whole lot or let us choose what components we wish to install) . I myself have run into her HDMI audio issues on PCs because of this. Fortunately, you don't get this problem with AMD or Nvidia because they will either install everything when you run of a driver installers or you have the option of choosing which components you install.

If you do have Intel HD graphics the way to fix this would be to remove/uninstall your graphics drivers from your PC from your computer and reinstall them while your computer is connected to a HDMI display . The easiest option would probably be to have it connected to your TV. If you don't have another HDMI display. To make sure you don't get the wrong drivers get the drivers from your computer manufacturers website.

I hope this helps and do let me know how you get onSmiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Indeed @commanda6...

Another thing @Anonymous User could try is to connect his laptop to another persons television via HDMI and play some media files 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey, marcdavidt here, not sure why I had to make a new username, couldn't find out how to log in with that username, but anyhoo, I just wanted to say I took the easy way out and used my nephews old Xbox and logged into NowTV that way to watch a game on Sunday and the sound worked fine! I do appreciate the help recieved but I won't bother trying to resolve my sound issue with the laptop now I can watch using the Xbox 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You have to restart your laptop or computer after downloading the now application for the sound to connect in some cases, it was the case for me. Hope this helps someone.