cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New NowTV Player - Terrible!

Very, very unhappy with Sky.

Now TV was quite good watching online with website player.

I've just returned to the service; bought a pass; then found I had to download a player.

Did so, and it turned out to be a horrible watching experience.

The video stops and starts; jumps from good to poor quality; making watching a sports game useless.

No, it's not my computer, my browser, nor my connection.

I've been watching BBC player without any problems whatsoever.

This new player uses far too many computer resources:

4 instances of NowTV player running;  tried stopping one and the player failed.

2 Cisco executables running as well

Definitely not thought through before rolling out.

Now, because of the very unfair cancellation terms, I can't get a refund even after just 15 minutes!

There is only a refund for those who do not start the pass.

Even though one cannot know how bad the new service is without starting the service in the first place!

That is more than unfair, it's very poor business.

I've effectively given Sky a donation of 33.99.  Whoopie!!

Why oh why do companies insist on changing perfectly good products???!!!!!

If it ain't broke.....

50 REPLIES 50
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I cant use ie 11  .

keeps trying to get me to download the player now.

Was able to use silverlight right up till yesterday. 

Has anything changed today

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can't use the browser anymore so I unsubbed. Not a difficult choice to make because with all the buffering issues, watching shows through NowTV was incredibly difficult.

Incidentally, if you cancel they will offer you the service at half price - which may be worthwhile for some viewers, but I'll be damned if I'm paying anything for a "service" that consistently fails to serve anything.

It is no good having all the big name shows if they cannot be watched. This is why Neflix and Amazon Prime are burying you right now.

One last thing, subtitles? You don't have them and the other services do. Sky don't even manage basic human decency.

Good bye and good riddance.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Same here - everything was working fine with Silverlight until 2 days ago.

now Now TV forced me to download the app on WIndows 10.

when i start the app, nothing happens... keeps loading...

so i uninstalled and reinstalled the app, uninstalled silverlight (to avoid conflicts) nothing

can the Now TV team please help fix this issue?

THanks!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm getting exactly the same. Both my laptops are now useless when it comes to watching NowTv.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Windows 7 user here. I stopped using Now TV early 2017 during the omni-shambles when they last tried killing off use of silverlight (upgrade to windows10 or use the (then unusable) nowtv player they said.) Anyway, recently got a free entertainment month (suprised to find silverlight in use with internet explorer 11 - watched the whole Britannia  series  using IE11 browser -Grand!  1 month Movies for £1 offer, I paid my £1  ..day after: No watching using IE11 just download & use the N-n-n-nowthen-nowthen-t-t-TVPlayer.

Biggest problem for me using the NowTV player app has been the audio stutter..making stuff unwatchable     I've been running it on a modest Dell laptop.

What does seem to make a difference  (enough to stop the stuttering on my system) is:

1. Disable or reduce function of anti-virus (mine I can suspend for different period of time or until reboot) (You don't want to be doing anything else risky on the PC while the antivirus status is altered.)

2.  Change the priority settings of process 'CiscoVideoGuard.exe' to 'High' using the Windows 'Task Manager'       (this process is also installed when installing the Now TV player) (On windows 7 'Task Manager is  available by getting the menu up by pressing Ctrl, Alt and Delete keys simultaneously) On the 'Task Manager' select the Processes tab, click 'Image name' then right mousebutton &click 'CiscoVideoGuard.exe' there should see option to 'Set Priority' to high.  

R69BRaX

After this is done, on my system it stops the audio stuttering making stuff at least listenable.

Changing the process's priority isn't permanent - need to be done each time the TV player is started, or system is rebooted.

It (presently) works for me, I hope it works for others with a similar problem

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Me too. I am having the same problem since the last stupid 'update' on NowTV. Now I am unable to use the web to watch as I used to a few days ago. It is their system, the unusable app/player whatever they want to call it.

I spent my whole morning (day off), at least 5 hours, trying to sort it out, found chat by chance, and had to deal with a number of technicians with various abilities and knowledge. Some downright useless.

Nothing was sorted.

Problem is still there

Impossible to use the web, whether the browser is Firefox or IE11.

Information on NowTV site erroneous, if I am to believe one of the techs I spoke to yesterday. (IE11 no longer supported)

NowTV/Sky has demonstrated it is not interested in sorting out their mess

Not my system. Not my computer(s) (player on laptop AND PC is behaving in the same way). Not my router. Not my connection (fast connection by sky would you believe, at least that is what I am paying for). If it connection, whilst I am only a few meters away from the exchange, would Sky kindly explain why I am not getting what I am paying for?

Test carried out on android tablet= I can watch NowTV. So, if is down to speed, then I am getting enough to play on tablet?

Can I have an explanation as to why speed is enough for tablet but not WIndows?

Speed test said 37 to 38 mb/s. Way more that what is required

Streaming other services on line is not affected. I can watch BBC player (which is quite demanding) , prime,netfix, My 5, Chanel 4, etc...

I am annoyed at the lack of service, and the condescendance shown by the very little help provided.

Resinstate previous settings.

How NoWTV/Sky can improve=

post ACCURATE information on website

THOROUGHLY test any changes to the system

only release new settings when DEBUGGED

offer  ROLLBACK possibility

offer REAL HELP

CHECK forum ( I don't think they read it, they would have acted upon the issue or contacted us if they did)

provide TRAINING to your workforce, including those in India, they are front facing, and your image

provide your techs, especially those in India, with ACCURATE information, that includes problems highlited in debugging etc.

APOLOGISE

CHANGE your viewing policy= number of devices added up during check (that is CHEEKY)

do something about the extremely badly designed app you sell (have you noticed the number of stars it's got? why does NowTV/Sky think we prefer to use the web?) If using PC , then whether we watch via web browser or app should count as ONE device (not two. NAUGHTY).

cancellation without PENALISATION for not being able to provide the service advertised (as stated in the message in this string)

I am dreaming if any of these are going to be enforced. I am still waiting for the technicians to come with an answer to this issue, and a solution.

@Anonymous Userwrote:

Very, very unhappy with Sky.

Now TV was quite good watching online with website player.

I've just returned to the service; bought a pass; then found I had to download a player.

Did so, and it turned out to be a horrible watching experience.

The video stops and starts; jumps from good to poor quality; making watching a sports game useless.

No, it's not my computer, my browser, nor my connection.

I've been watching BBC player without any problems whatsoever.

This new player uses far too many computer resources:

4 instances of NowTV player running;  tried stopping one and the player failed.

2 Cisco executables running as well

Definitely not thought through before rolling out.

Now, because of the very unfair cancellation terms, I can't get a refund even after just 15 minutes!

There is only a refund for those who do not start the pass.

Even though one cannot know how bad the new service is without starting the service in the first place!

That is more than unfair, it's very poor business.

I've effectively given Sky a donation of 33.99.  Whoopie!!

Why oh why do companies insist on changing perfectly good products???!!!!!

If it ain't broke.....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Man i hear yeh,

i don,t what nowtv are doing but the nowtv player now is sound only. Some one as done some thing to the software they must of, as i can,t get a picture since updates. When first joined i was told to download silverlight i did and it worked. Now the new player just does,nt work, i go try and get help and well its a waste of time. No human to talk too, no phone numbers, no help, articles that nowtv let you go all over the site and still you can,t find it as is hidden in certain menu,s of certain people on the site. No one  seems to know what they are doing at nowtv, its like the are guessing at it. I have never heard once from any of the nowtv people telling ust he customers they have foudn the problem. No seems to care about finding out what actually caused the problem in first place. Its LIKE  OH WELL attitude.

3 weeks on and still no picture, all they keep saying is have uninstalled clear catch and then re installed -   THESE PEOPLE ARE PRETTY DUMB ON THE OTHER END,  i swear they are just reading of scripts ect ect, like they read it out of a book.

they not able to problem solve, they can,t see it in there mind and think outside the box.

NOW TV / CUSTOMER SUPPOT - RUBBISH / PROFESSIONAL - NO WAY ARE YOU PROFESSIONAL - NO WAY NEAR THAT AT ALL / MILES OFF THAT.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOWTV SUCKS,

YOU SERVICE TO HELP PEOPLE IS AWFUL.

YOUR POLILCY HAS BEEN THOUGHT IN A WAY LIKE SKY TV, YOU ARE STILL MAKING SURE YOUR POLICY IS A KEEP NET TO GET OUR MONEY.

IM NOT HAPPY ABOUT NOWTV AT ALL, ITS TIME WE STOOD UP AGAINST SKY/NOWTV THEY HAVE BECOME MORE LIKE CON ARTISTS THAN BUSINESS.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Agree the new player is crap, why change it. Can learn from BT who's online players are usually very good. Maybe thats why they are offering the TV Box free. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

i have just downloaded the nowtv player and nothing has happened. press to see the football and nothing changes. what a waste of time!