cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New NowTV Player - Terrible!

Very, very unhappy with Sky.

Now TV was quite good watching online with website player.

I've just returned to the service; bought a pass; then found I had to download a player.

Did so, and it turned out to be a horrible watching experience.

The video stops and starts; jumps from good to poor quality; making watching a sports game useless.

No, it's not my computer, my browser, nor my connection.

I've been watching BBC player without any problems whatsoever.

This new player uses far too many computer resources:

4 instances of NowTV player running;  tried stopping one and the player failed.

2 Cisco executables running as well

Definitely not thought through before rolling out.

Now, because of the very unfair cancellation terms, I can't get a refund even after just 15 minutes!

There is only a refund for those who do not start the pass.

Even though one cannot know how bad the new service is without starting the service in the first place!

That is more than unfair, it's very poor business.

I've effectively given Sky a donation of 33.99.  Whoopie!!

Why oh why do companies insist on changing perfectly good products???!!!!!

If it ain't broke.....

50 REPLIES 50
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I went to the new Nowtv Player from watching on Nowtv.com through silverlight on Firefox.  It has been a disaster!! Just buffers away around and around, then goes to message we cannot tune in at this time.  Go back to firefox and get message Nowtv player not responding.  i have had no comeback from anytechnical query.  Hence I have cancelled my passes.  Very annoying but the customer experience I came to expect under SKY, so it was against my better judgement I tried NOWtv to find it is still the terrible customer experience

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh my goodness. This is terrible: I've had to download yet another browser (only downloaded Safari to watch NowTV, now I've had to download Firefox), and install further app software - and it is appalling!

Pixillated about 80% of the time.

Extremely slow to load.

Skips sections of shows as it buffers, without rewinding or pausing, so I'm missing key dialogue, etc...

Utterly sub-standard.

This is back to dial-up standard viewing quality.

And by the way, Sky, these changes were made without any announcement to me, a paying customer.

More than that: I ASKED FOR HELP THREE TIMES before being told that Now TV had stopped working with Safari - the browser YOU MADE ME INSTALL!

Pathetic.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

the now tv player is ###### ######

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not a fan then, @Anonymous User Smiley Wink

No, seriously I'm not trying to make fun and you must be very frustrated but I have to say that I used the NowTV app on Windows 10, via Chrome (Which is not supposed to be supported anymore, so I believe) whilst on holiday, only a month ago and it worked perfectly.

My better half and I took away an Asus S300 13 inch Notebook which is not the fastest thing in the world...That's fairly kind as it's slower than a slow thing, these days... and connected it to a TV via an hdmi cable in Scotland...Kicked up the Now TV app (Chrome is the default browser) and we got uninterrupted NowTV all week.

I always keep any PC in the house up to date with the latest updates and, being "Old School" use things like Malwarebytes and Ccleaner (I still call it "CrapCleaner", which was what it used to be called).  Therefore Silverlight and Flash are always up to date...even though I don't like them, want them or even understand them...but at least I know that any computer in here is up to date and actually works.......I'll be the first to admit that I HATE Windows 10, with a vengeance and have moved over to a Chromebook (On the advice of my Wife) for an everyday, non-intrusive and "Works out of the box without stupid annoyances" web experience.

I actually think that the problem here is 50-50...Microsoft are desperately trying to keep Windows 10 at the forefront....You only need to remember how many updates there have been lately...and then you have to sympathise with just how many programmers are trying to keep up with them.....Now TV aren't alone on this one, just check out the web for a miriad of other sites that aren't working.

Not what you want to hear @Anonymous User and I'm sorry about that but there actually isn't an answer to your problem whilst programmers on every website are trying to keep up.

Sorry I can't be of more help and all of that nonsense was just my opinion.

Like I say, all of that was just my thoughts and I'm not wanting an arguement so, all the best. Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

P.S. @Anonymous User...Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Again, I'm not trying to be smart or funny, as I try to welcome every new poster.

Like I said, all the bestSmiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Had problems using Firefow and the Now TV player. Changed over to Internet Explorer and it works fine.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Poor quality picture, even worse quality sound. This app needstore serious work before I could justify paying for the service. Not good enough considering the standard of the competition.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can only agree with the others who are having the same problems as I have. A stuttering picture, voice break ups with echos and freezing for a minute or minutes at a time. Just trying to watch T 20 cricket - bowler bowls- screen freezes- returns with fuzzy picture- someone out - missed it -sound like someone's diving on helium !

I am using win 10 (64 bit), 2.4 Ghz cpu and 4G ram, while watching, sorry should say trying to watch- via firefox or any off the other browsers (Chrome or IE ). VideoGuard is using up to 45% of CPU and there are 3 other Now TVs running in the background and using about 25% of the CPU.  Without NowTv I use about 15% CPU in total i.e. Firefox and task manager open.

Come on now NowTV and give us what we've paid for and stop the bad reviews here and in other threads outside of this community!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Guess what this is a known problem over on Sky since mid 2016 - http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Go-Apps/Sky-Go-OS-X-CPU-usage-high/td-p/2502724

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This app is simply not fit for purpose. Running on a high spec laptop with fiber broadband all i get is buffering every 20 seconds low resolution pucture and out of sync sound. I am running on IE. Netflix-perfect. Amazon video -perfect. IPlayer - perfect .....