cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chromecast counts as device

Disappointed that Chromecast counts as a device. I have 2 boxes on my account, 1 tablet and a Chromecast. 

I wanted to instal on my daughter's  tablet, but cannot because when I first bought my boxes, I watched programs on both of them, then on my tablet, then lastly set up my Chromecast . 

I have since read the correct procedure for doing this, but I struggle to understand why the Chromecast is classed as a device. 

The now tv box is a great price of kit, but they need to be a bit more user friendly (like netflix) on the number of devices it can use. 

Easiest way I can see round this is adding up 2nd account.

Not sure I will buy more vouchers when my trials run out. Due to this issue 

10 REPLIES 10
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Hopefully you've seen now that as long as you press the cast button before choosing what you want to watch, your tablet doesn't get added as a device. You could set up a second account if you permanently need more than 4 devices (some users like to set up a second account just for children with payment and parental PINs set). 

However if you'd just like to get your daughters tablet set up then you could delete your tablet from your device list (it will still work as the remote for your Chromecast) and then if you've used up all your device adds for this month pop onto live chat and explain what's happened, hopefully being a new customer they will understand and allow you an extra device swap to allow your daughter to add her tablet.

To get to live chat, go to this page

https://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/what-devices-are-compatible-with-chromecast

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry to ###### in but similar problem here , I have been using now tv on my phone & kids have boxes in their rooms , to watch mine on my tv I use the chrome cast & both my phone & chromecast are now listed in devices meaning my son couldn't use it on his tablet while staying at his uncles. So can I remove my phone but still use it on chromecast or do I remove the chromecast & make sure I cast before going on to anything ??
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. You need to remove your phone and leave the Chromecast on there. You won't be able to watch on the phone separately but it will still work to send to your Chromecast as long as you press the cast button in the NOW TV app before picking what you want to watch on your Chromecast.

Again if your son gets a device limit reached message when he tries to watch on his tablet, just follow the advice in my post above to speak to live chat.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ridiculous! Just added my new phone and then wanted to chromecast and it won't let me! What am I paying for? This service needs to be updated. It's not good customer service. I assume NowTV are assuming I'm up to no good and therefore blocking me from adding additional devices, rather than treating me as a valued customer who wants access to the service I am paying for.
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. Your Chromecast is counted as a device so you need a spare device slot on your list for it to go. Your phone is also counted as a device if you watch something on the NOW TV app on it, but if you only want to use your phone as the remote for your Chromecast then it doesn't need a device slot as long as you always press the cast button in the NOW TV app before choosing something to watch on your Chromecast. 

Sounds like you've reached your device limit where if you've watched on four different devices in the past then the device limit rules kick in, where you can now only add one new device a month, even if you delete several.

Have a word with Live Chat, explain what's happened and see if they can sort something out for you as a courtesy.

To reach live chat go to the following help page
https://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/managing-my-devices

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I agree, I now only have one active device despite being licensed for three. Can't play anything on home PC. This issue suddenly occured after downloading the new player. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've got the same issue as everyone else on this forum. Recently added Chromecast to my device list as the picture quality was a lot better and wanted to add my new mobile phone, so that I could watch the football down at the beach. Error message comes up telling me that I've reached the maximum device limit for this month. What a rubbish rule! Whoever thought this up in Sky was not thinking about the customer and this would put me off subscribing to now TV again.
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi and welcome to the forum @Anonymous User,

After reading other posts within this dedicated Chromecast area of the forum, it would seem "you have to press the cast button before choosing what you want to watch, so your source device does not get added as a device..."

That being said... Ordinarily you are permitted to change one registered device per month, which comes into effect at the beginning of the next new month. However, if you require 'forced' device limit resetting, this needs to be carried out by a NOW TV representative. But please be aware they are not obligated to carry out this service...

You can contact a NOW TV representative via the forums 'Live Chat' facility or 'Send us a message' facility by using a Windows or Mac computer, not a mobile device, as their web browsers are not sophisticated enough to display 'pop-up' windows (ie: windows within windows). Also, Mac or IOS device users will require JavaScript support enabled in their Safari internet browsers. Here's what you need to do: -

• Click on the following: How To Contact NOW TV link.
  • To 'Send us a message', click on the light blue 'Send Message' button.
  • To start a 'Live Chat', click on the dark blue 'Chat online' button.
  • A new 'What can we help you with today?' pop-up window should open up.
  • Click on the 'Request Chat' button.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is why I left NowTV. We had the 4 devices settings and we have an iPad each, and an iPhone each. (4 devices) So we can use any to watch NowTV. Then later on, we saw the ChromeCast on the Black Friday and thought that they would be great to watch NowTV on our tv's. and bought three of them. Lounge, Bedroom and Caravan. This was all fine and dandy until we went to use the Chromecasts and found out it was classing that as a device??? we thought a device was something that you could actually see the picture on, and not something that transfers the video from the receiver, to the TV??? So now in theory, we have7 devices??? So we cancelled our order and until they see sense (and S T O P  BEING B L O O D Y , G R E E D Y). So, if we are watching on our TWO iPads, And also watching our TWO iPhones ( which we don't watch all at the same time anyway) then we would only be watching the FOUR DEVICES that we were paying for. So over to you G  R E E D Y, S K Y. ( PS. this is Also why we left Sky TV  saving over £100 per month as I was onl watching all the repeats anyway.