cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cannot watch on separate monitor through HDMI via Surface Pro 3 and Win App

Help!

Trying to watch through NOW TV App on Win 10 Surface Pro 3. Works ok on device but does not work when pluging in separate monitor via HDMI cable.

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User it's not officially supported, you might get it to work by setting your monitor as the primary output though.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tried that already 😞

I did read somewhere that you can watch through a laptop via HDMI, but also that  Windows 8 app does not work without high-definition content protection (HDCP) compliance - this maybe the case as surface pro is mini display port to hdmi?

Trouble is i've run out of devices now and cant swap from the app to a browser 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Tried that already 😞

I did read somewhere that you can watch through a laptop via HDMI, but also that  Windows 8 app does not work without high-definition content protection (HDCP) compliance - this maybe the case as surface pro is mini display port to hdmi?

Trouble is i've run out of devices now and cant swap from the app to a browser 

Hi @Anonymous User 

I think you might have hit the nail on the head there.  you have to be careful because not all converter cables of them support HDCP.  I tend to look specifically for adapters not cables, adapters tend to have the kit in them to convert video and audio input properly.

Something like this is probably what you would need

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DRK2ZIK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

But a word of caution as @Anonymous User  says the use of external displays with devices that already have an internal display is not officially supported in the nowTV Windows app. So even if you get a proper adapter there's a chance it still won't work.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

I think you might have hit the nail on the head there.  you have to be careful because not all converter cables support HDCP.  I tend to look specifically for adapters not cables, adapters tend to have the kit in them to convert video and audio input properly.

Something like this is probably what you would need

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DRK2ZIK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00

But a word of caution as @Anonymous User  says the use of external displays with devices that already have an internal display is not officially supported in the nowTV Windows app. So even if you get a proper adapter there's a chance it still won't work.

@Anonymous User . Sorry. See correction in quote above

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

It does appear that you cannot redirect the video to a secondary monitor.  This is a real pain for those of us that want to watch Sky Sports on a secondary monitor and Work on other stuff on the primary monitor. 
I have got it working by setting the secondary monitor as primary , lauching the Now TV app , then setting it back again , but that's not a real solution.  My secondary monitor is a simple DVI connection to an older Dell monitor and was working fine under Chrome until something happened very recently connected with this....https://recombu.com/digital/article/now-tv-chrome-google-no-silverlight-support.