Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

sports price rises

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, I agree they are now too expensive.

As an F1 fan, this pushes me away from watching F1 via NowTV.  With live F1 being a Sky exclusive from 2019, I'll be excercising my own "break clause" just like Silverstone.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

While the price rises are disappointing (especially the week sports pass which is an 18% increase) for anyone who isn't already aware you can pick up a gift card for a week sports pass for £10 from the usual places such as major supermarkets, Argos, Currys etc which saves a bit. No gift card for day passes unfortunately.

Probably the easiest way of buying is online at www.nowtv.com/gift-cards where the code will be emailed to you.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's true that £10 week passes can be found but there will be a limit to them no doubt. They'll likely rise to £12.

I've said this before (yes I've suggested it in the ideas section) but there ought to be a 6 hour pass priced at £4.99. Now that 24 hour passes are £7.99, there's more scope for a lower £4.99 price point. A six hour pass would be an impulse buy - effectively a "single event" pass. A race, a tennis match or a football match. They would sell by the truck load and probably end up making more money for Sky than the £7.99 24 hour pass. I won't pay £7.99 for a single event (there need to be 2 or more within the 24 hours) but I'd definitely buy two six hour passes on seperate weekends. So Sky make £9.98 out of me rather than nothing at all. Simples.....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

it would be better £1 per game 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As Ive posted elsewhere, people now see that Sky is in a difficult position here, historically they have been able to use the revenue from other subscribers to subsidise the money they paid for sports rights.

Now they are operating in a world where they have paid billions for sports rights, and the usual channels they use to subsidise this like movies and entertainment are facing competition from the likes of Netflix and Amazon who either dont have all the sports costs to sink, or have a global retail business that can sink the sports costs without batting much of an eye.

Eventually something will have to give, and the scenarios I see are either Sky will lose the sports rights to somebody like Amazon that has an awful lot more areas they can subsidise this from without having to hike the price of TV subscriptions for others, or, Sky will be forced to push the costs of sports onto the sports subscribers in order to be able to compete with Netflix/Amazon on the other entertainment side.   But then that will mean that the sports subscribers would be in for a bit of a shock.

When the current round of TV rights bidding finishes, its going to be very interesting to see where Sky try and raise the money from in order to pay for it (if indeed they win the rights).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

£1 per game is a lovely dream but we know it won't happen.

Formula One are launching their own streaming service, rumoured to be priced at £6 per month. Their deal with Sky though, means that service will not be available in the UK at least during the period of Sky's exclusivity deal.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous Userwrote:

£1 per game is a lovely dream but we know it won't happen.

Formula One are launching their own streaming service, rumoured to be priced at £6 per month. Their deal with Sky though, means that service will not be available in the UK at least during the period of Sky's exclusivity deal.

Sounds like the GAA deal.  All games except Sky games on GAA GO.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous Userwrote:

It's true that £10 week passes can be found but there will be a limit to them no doubt. They'll likely rise to £12.

I've said this before (yes I've suggested it in the ideas section) but there ought to be a 6 hour pass priced at £4.99. Now that 24 hour passes are £7.99, there's more scope for a lower £4.99 price point. A six hour pass would be an impulse buy - effectively a "single event" pass. A race, a tennis match or a football match. They would sell by the truck load and probably end up making more money for Sky than the £7.99 24 hour pass. I won't pay £7.99 for a single event (there need to be 2 or more within the 24 hours) but I'd definitely buy two six hour passes on seperate weekends. So Sky make £9.98 out of me rather than nothing at all. Simples.....

I suspect the aim is to encourage people to get a monthly pass (which can be got for £20/month with an email offer) ahead of the week/day option.   Can't see a £5 pass being introduced as well as an £8 day pass as many people (like me) are using the latter for one event anyway.   On GAAGO the cost of a single game is €10 (£9), so arguably they are charging a single game price at £8.

I still have 5 day passes to apply to my account (expiring in May), so will use them first anyway.

Miketurn
Scholar 3

It'll be interesting to see if there are even more price rises when the option of 1080p comes into effect.