cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

sky sports now tv lag

Is it normal to get a lag or stutter on sky sports live sports like football and cricket or do i need a newer box wired?  i use a roku stick and white now tv at the moment wireless, will the black box wired work better?

I have top speed internet etc so its not that as mobile phone in same position is getting 100mbps.

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I find sky sports watching sports like football and cricket has lag, i have white now tv box and roku stick both the same, do i need a wired box to stop this?

I have the top broadband etc so speed is not an issue.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

I find sky sports watching sports like football and cricket has lag, i have white now tv box and roku stick both the same, do i need a wired box to stop this?

I have the top broadband etc so speed is not an issue.

Hi Bobbyduke,

You should not need a wired connection for the lagging, we can advise to try a troubleshooting step to help improve the lagging, take your nowtv remote press

HOME 5X

REWIND 3X

FAST FORWARD 2x

simultaneously..

you will see a secret screen with speeds of the broadband network

we usually always suggest 2.5mbs but you can try each of these and see which one works the best for you

hope this helps

The nowtv team.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply, having done that sequence i only get a page with factory restore and. cycle channels store, cycle softwate update server and update software. There are no options to change me bit rate.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

... There are no options to change me bit rate.

That's because there are no options for you to select your preferred bitrate @Anonymous User.

Typically, you should get the maximum bitrate that NOW TV offers (via adaptive bitrate streaming), that your device type supports and that your ISP is capable of uploading to you (third-party issues excepted).

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

in other words the sports is just crap quality?

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

in other words the sports is just crap quality?

I'm not a consistent sports watcher @Anonymous User. But whenever I've viewed the Sky Sports F1 channel using either my NOW TV 'black' box or the NOW TV app on my LG television, I've never had any problems.

And when I've briefly flicked around the other live streamed sports channels, they've looked okay.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, sounds like newer black box is better, i have managed to change the bit rate with secret menu on the white now tv box to 3500mbps and it is not so bad now, as for the roku stick it seems not to have the same secret menu so not really up to the job for live sports. I will have to get a black box and wire it via ethernet see if thats better.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Personally I'm not a fan of connecting any media playback device via WiFi. Indeed, if my Hudl2 offered a network port, I'd use it 😉

My advice to anyone is: "If you're able to connect your media playback devices via a hard-wired ethernet connection you should. Failing that, you should consider using powerline networking adaptors ie: HomePlugs."

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes seems like it needs to be wired hence i will get a black box which is all half price at argos at the moment, at 3500mbps it is working better but getting the odd pause here and there still.