cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lockmatt
Expert 2

poor picture quality on all sports and entertainment channels

have just turned my box on for the first time since late yesterday evening and the picture quality is really bad.the picture on all channels are all blurry,there has definately been a drop in the picture quality from when i last watched on sunday evening which was perfect,i am using the black now tv box on a wired connection,anyone else have this issue?

92 REPLIES 92
lockmatt
Expert 2

@Anonymous User ss4,ss5 and ssf1 are good again on my black now tv box,and whats the really annoying thing is that no one from now tv has made any comment on this issue,lets hope the other channels are sorted soon,we can only hope everyone affected are given some sort of a refund in some way.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Fanboys on here have rightly so said that "Now TV are listening"....... but well, where I come from it's common courtosy to acknowledge an issue to complaining customers and explain the route the company is taking to sort the issue out!!!!

For me, It seems there was an issue with the 720 HD streaming on most channels and Now have reverted back to an older system to carry the channels at what seems a defunct SD quality.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Now Fanboys, please remember that this isn't some silly free service and that us customers deserve better and at the very little a answer to an obvious issue in quality.

lockmatt
Expert 2

@Anonymous User spot on mate 

lockmatt
Expert 2

good news everyone,normal service has resumed at long last,im using the black now tv box,i hope it is good for everyone else now.

chai
Scholar 3

Last week my Smart Box bricked itself terminally (while updating?), so I dug out my old Black Box to use before I got round to getting a replacement.

Now I was under the impression that the NOW TV live streams were restricted to SD picture quality (except for sports) on the Black Box, but when I compared it side by side with my replacement Smart Box (which supposedly outputs 720p HD for all live streams), the picture qualty was identical.

So is the often quoted chart (below) in need of updating, and also is this a change that has occured to Black Boxes that have recieved the recent 7.5.3 update?

DeviceOn DemandCinema,
Entertainment and Kids
channels
Sports
channels
PS3720p HDSD720p HD
PS4720p HDSD720p HD
Xbox 360720p HDSD720p HD
Xbox One720p HDSD720p HD
NOW TV Box720p HDSD720p HD
NOW TV Smart Box720p HD720p HD720p HD
Roku720p HDSD720p HD
LG TV720p HDSD720p HD
Chromecast720p HDSD720p HD
Windows 8720p HDSDSD
Windows 10SDSD720p HD
PC or MacSDSDSD
YouViewSDN/AN/A
Apple TV720p HD720p HD720p HD
Apple iOSSDSDSD
AndroidSDSDSD
EE TV720p HDSD720p HD
Samsung TV720p HDSD720p HD
chai
Scholar 3

Mnay thanks for that info commanda6

So any idea when the Black Box (non sport) live stream output was upgraded to 720p HD?

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chai wrote:

Last week my Smart Box bricked itself terminally (while updating?), so I dug out my old Black Box to use before I got round to getting a replacement.

Now I was under the impression that the NOW TV live streams were restricted to SD picture quality (except for sports) on the Black Box, but when I compared it side by side with my replacement Smart Box (which supposedly outputs 720p HD for all live streams), the picture qualty was identical.

So is the often quoted chart (below) in need of updating, and also is this a change that has occured to Black Boxes that have recieved the recent 7.5.3 update?

Device On Demand Cinema,
Entertainment and Kids
channels
Sports
channels
PS3 720p HD SD 720p HD
PS4 720p HD SD 720p HD
Xbox 360 720p HD SD 720p HD
Xbox One 720p HD SD 720p HD
NOW TV Box 720p HD SD 720p HD
NOW TV Smart Box 720p HD 720p HD 720p HD
Roku 720p HD SD 720p HD
LG TV 720p HD SD 720p HD
Chromecast 720p HD SD 720p HD
Windows 8 720p HD SD SD
Windows 10 SD SD 720p HD
PC or Mac SD SD SD
YouView SD N/A N/A
Apple TV 720p HD 720p HD 720p HD
Apple iOS SD SD SD
Android SD SD SD
EE TV 720p HD SD 720p HD
Samsung TV 720p HD SD 720p HD

Hi @chai

The streaming quality article was updated a month or two ago. But it's not as clear as it used to be. It now seems to suggest that everything is available in up to 720p . Note I say up to though, so you might not get 720p on everything. Of course as always, it also depends on the device you're using

https://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chai wrote:

Mnay thanks for that info @commanda6

So any idea when the Black Box (non sport) live stream output was upgraded to 720p HD?

@chai I don't know when that will be I'm afraid. From what I've seen on my smart box, though some of the non-sports streams look better than others, so some of them may have already been updated.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
chai
Scholar 3

@commanda6 I understand that the quality of the live streams varies, but what I was getting at was that the output of the Black Box live streams is now the same as the Smart Box, and was wondering when this change happened?

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@chai wrote:

@commanda6 I understand that the quality of the live streams varies, but what I was getting at was that the output of the Black Box live streams is now the same as the Smart Box, and was wondering when this change happened?

My apologies, I seem to have missed read your post above @chai

I don't know exactly when that happened, but it seems that all that's left to do is sit back and enjoySmiley Happy