cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

'There was an error streaming your video. Please wait a moment and try again.'

Have been watching Sky Sports using NOW TV on my PC with a day pass recently without any problems until today, it worked fine a couple of weeks ago on Chrome, but now I can't start the stream on any browser.

I've been trying since 4pm, and have now missed the entire first half of the match I activated the day pass to watch. I've tried both Chrome and Firefox, rebooted my whole system, everything, but still get the same message every time I try. No error code provided or anything, it just starts the stream loading screen and then closes abruptly with the same error message quoted in the thread title each time.

I've allowed Silverlight to run continually on each browser, and I have the most up to date version installed. This error has only occurred today, so cannot be to do with my PC set up, which has not changed, I haven't even applied any Windows updates since I last watched Sky Sports this way.

I'm not happy at all to have wasted a day pass and missed my match.

40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User 

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Sorry to hear that this happens.

If you start watching something via your laptop or PC and while the screen is loading, please refresh the page. Once this is done, please take a look at your URL and see whether or not there is an pop-up blocker icon. If yes, please click on it and select either allow or enable. 

Please also take a look at this Community post in regards to Google Chrome and NOW TV service: po.st/J9BYwt

Let me know if the issue persists.

Kind regards,

Birgit

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nothing to do with any pop-up blocker; before I posted here I'd already refreshed the page several times, tried the same on different browsers, closed and restarted the browsers, rebooted my whole system, uninstalled and reinstalled Silverlight (even though I already had the most up-to-date version, and my day pass had worked without any issues about a fortnight ago)... absolutey nothing doing.

In the end I contacted NOW TV via live chat, who couldn't help me any further and passed it on to another department who they said would get in touch with me in 48 hours, and gave me another day pass to use another time. They just keep telling me to try reinstalling Silverlight, but even though I did that, I hadn't changed any of my system settings since it was working, so it's clearly something on NOW TV's end.I just gave up after a couple of hours trying stuff, will give it another go later today with the last few hours or so of my wasted day pass.

I'm aware Silverlight will no longer be supported by Chrome, but there's no reason Firefox should have the same issue if it was anything to do with that.

Also, IE9 won't even let me sign into my NOW TV account to try it out on that! 'The page cannot be displayed' - I've deleted cookies & the cache, reloaded IE9, rebooted, disabled add-ons, etc. Nothing at all wrong with my internet connection, as I can sign in just fine on Chrome and Firefox, it's just that the stream won't start on those. I hate IE anyway, wuldn't use it unless it was the only option, but it's weird that it won't even navigate to the account sign in page without breaking.

What happens on Chrome and Firefox is that the stream starts loading as normal (black screen window in the middle of the page, rotating loading symbol), but then basically 'crashes' out with the same error message I mentioned in my original post, every single time. As if it couldn't connect to the feed, but I'm streaming other stuff with Silverlight just fine. Very frustrating, especially considering up until now it was just a case of enter the day pass code and start watching (on either Chrome or FF, up until about 2 weeks ago).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User whilst it's not something you wish to hear, but if NowTV had done something at their end, the forums would be full of other people reporting the same issue. As no one else is, it suggests something at your end causing the problems.

You mention you've allowed Silverlight in each browser, is this via the Jigsaw/Lego piece you see in the address bar? Both Chrome and Firefox do this now and it needs to be done per website you wish to use Silverlight on.

As you mention IE9, I assume you're not on Windows 8, as if you were, I'd suggest the NowTV Windows App instead.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The jigsaw piece thing had already been done for both Chrome and Firefox before any of my issues yesterday, I checked it again then, obviously, and made sure Silverlight still had that 'permission' to run constantly on those browsers, as I had told it to previously. My first thought was that Google had finally made Silverlight go kaput on Chrome since I last watched Sky Sports through it, but like I say, I get exactly the same result on (the latest version of) FF.

I've tried on both Windows 7 and Vista, not W8. Because I never use IE, I had to download it to try that out, and IE9 is what I got given. It seems to work okay on Vista and 7 for every page I've visited apart from the NOW TV sign in page - literally all the other pages on the NOW TV site load up without a problem, IE just 'breaks' when I click that sign in link. Very strange.

The thing is, although no one else seems to be reporting this issue, I had changed absolutely nothing about my set up since it was last working. I've had no important Windows updates to apply recently, haven't restored my system or had any crashes or anything like that, haven't even installed any new programs (it's only been about 2 weeks, like I said). The only thing that's been updating throughout that time is my antivirus, and I'm not getting any reports from that, all my exceptions are OK. It makes no sense, and the fact the error message is so vague and just tells me to try again later suggests it's the same sort of issue as when there are server issues - the problem appears to be the initial connecting to the stream itself, nothing else.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Trying it again now on my other laptop before my 24 hour pass expires around 4pm today, and still getting exactly the same thing. I've absolutely no idea what to do to get this working.

Checklist:

- Silverlight uninstalled as per Microsoft's specific instructions, and latest version reinstalled (5.1.30514.0)

- reloaded browsers after applying any changes, restarted computer several times

- no NOW TV streams currently running on any other device or TV or what have you in the household

- made sure I'm not signed in on multiple browsers at the same time

On Chrome (Version 40.0.2214.115 m):

- Plugins, Popups, Images, JavaScript, all 'Allowed by default/you' in Permissions on the site; Media is 'ask by default' (and I would allow it, if I was ever asked)

- watch.nowtv.com clearly says 'Allow' in Plug-in exceptions, among several others

- connection fine on all pages, other Silverlight test media streaming without issue on this Chrome browser (e.g. www.iis.net/media/experiencesmoothstreaming)

On Firefox (35.0.1):

- in Add-ons - Plugins, Silverlight Plug-In is on 'Always Activate'

- on the 'lego brick': "Silverlight" is enabled on watch.nowtv.com ('Continue Allowing' clicked every time I've checked it)

- No pop-up blocker running or anything like that

- connection fine on all pages, other Silverlight test media streaming without issue on this Firefox browser (e.g. www.iis.net/media/experiencesmoothstreaming)

On Internet Explorer 9 (Version 9.0.8112.16421):

- can navigate without issue around the NOW TV website, but when I click 'sign in', it just says 'Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage'. Nothing to do with my internet connection, which is currently completely stable.

- connection fine on all other pages, other Silverlight test media streaming without issue on this IE browser (e.g. www.iis.net/media/experiencesmoothstreaming)

- can't even sign in through Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) [in Programs - Accessories - System Tools], same deal. Deleting cookies and cache does absolutely nothing. So I couldn't try loading the stream on IE in the first place (not a massive thing for me as I don't like to use IE anyway if I can help it, but very annoying in this case when I'm trying to test stuff).

Really lost here, to be honest. Maybe this isn't happening to anyone else at present, but it's definitely not my setup.

Simon-J
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Anonymous User ,

Thanks for your post.

You've given us a lot of information to work with there and I can see you've you've really thoroughly troubleshooted the issue so thankyou for that.

Forgive me if you have done this already but could I ask you to try the Silverlight test video and see if it plays out and if so retry NOW TV?

Thanks

Simon

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm trying again today, and getting the same rubbish. The fact that this error message gives no indication whatsoever of what the issue may be, and doesn't even provide an error code of any kind that I could search for possible solutions to, instead just telling me to "wait and try again later" (maybe it starts working perfectly just after the 24 hour pass has expired!) and '"for more info, please go to nowtv.com/help" (which specific part of the help section? What is the problem relating to, so I can try to look on there for what could fix it?), is so annoying. 

Another pretty annoying development is that today when I have come to enter it, to try to hopefully watch the match, I've found out that the new day pass code that the NOW TV help team had emailed me to compensate for my wasted one, is invalid as it is a character short. As I'm unlikely to get a response from them now until long after the match has ended, I'm having to try this on another day pass of my own. They really should be checking that any day pass code they give out is correct before they send it; I've done enough faffing about with all this, and wouldn't want to spend more of my time testing pass codes I've been given when the game I had wanted to see was already over and my 24 hours had already expired anyway - it'd be fair to assume that the code would at least be valid when I next tried to put it in, when another match I wanted to watch was coming on. 

It looks like I will be spending more time messing about with this though, even with a valid pass. Simon, I didn't respond to your reply earlier because my 24 hours had already expired, and wasn't being extended for me to carry on trying to fix it when I suggested that to the NOW TV help team, and so I couldn't test the NOW TV stream any further. Having already tested Silverlight on several webpages on all browsers as I'd mentioned, and found it was working without any problems at all, when your Silverlight test video link there link came up broken ('404 - Not Found' on Firefox and Chrome, and on IE it says 'Oops! This link appears to be broken - web.sldrm.video.msn.com/d1/sldrm.html. Access a cached copy of web.­sldrm.­video.­msn.­com/­d1/­sldrm.­html'. On the cached copy of the page, you can't play anything), I just couldn't be arsed mithering with it all anymore. I simply hoped the link you provided would be working for me to try out when I next tried to watch the NOW TV Sky Sports stream and encountered the same problems, but the link is still broken, and so it's of no use right now, sorry.

I appreciate your trying to help me, but I hope you can understand that this is becoming an increasingly frustrating, pointless exercise for me. Whatever has changed recently has frankly broken this whole service for me, it seems - not even a month ago, it was a simple case of entering my day pass code, activating the stream and kicking back to watch a game or two, with hardly ever any buffering issues, let alone problems getting the stream to work in the first place. Now I'm paying to use a service that just won't function at all, won't give me a single clue as to why it's stoped working, and expects me to waste hours of my time trying to find a fix myself, with no progress made and no real help from the 'technical team' who the issue was apparently passed to several day ago now. You people on this forum are the only ones who seem to be offering any significant aid in trying to sort this out! I'm probably going to have to watch on a dodgy stream if I don't want to miss the gane entirely (again). 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Out of utter desperation I've followed all the instructions on this page, to the letter: 

http://help.nowtv.com/article/I-have-tried-the-video-link-but-I-m-still-experiencing-difficulties

...and still no change. Altering the Silverlight Configuration file does nothing to alleviate this, I get the exact same unhelpful vague error message as in my thread title. The Silverlight diagnostics tool is utterly hopeless, because it can never connect to Microsoft Support to do anything. The rest of it after that part is useless to me too, and all probably completely redundant anyway seeing as that help page clearly does not appear to have been updated since Silverlight version 5.1.10411.0, and I'm using 5.1.30514.0, which as far as I can tell was working flawlessly with NOW TV until just over a fortnight or so ago, probably less than that if I'd tried to watch anything before last week. 

The only thing that doesn't work for me now with Silverlight is the NOW TV stream, which suggests I am on a wild goose chase here trying to find the problem and fix it at my end. I've now wasted another day pass, because I'll have to find an alternative method of watching this match. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just bought a day pass to watch the footie, and i'm getting the same error message.