cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chai
Scholar 3

Sky Sports themed channels coming to NOW TV?

Sky Sports to replace numbered channels and slash prices in revamp

Broadcaster to launch themed channels for football, golf and cricket, with cheapest package costing £18 a month

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jun/27/sky-sports-channels-prices-football-golf-cricket

Coming to NOW TV?

83 REPLIES 83
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@m4ttgtr wrote:

Well, I'm just gonna say Thank You NowTV (Sky) for adding all these channels at no extra cost, and getting rid of the SS Mix fiasco. I do buy months at a time, currently 3 months for £20 per month and I think it's a pretty good service, IF IT STAYS LIKE THIS. No ss mix2 eh

I agree.  Thanks for the extra channels, especially Mix.  Though I still wouldn't put it past them to put events behind the red button....

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Don't get me wrong I am grateful that Mix is part of the channel line up, but right now Sky Sport Main Event, Sky Sports Cricket and Sky Sports Mix are all showing the same event.    Mix seems to be a pretty useful overflow channel.

Will be interesting when Premier League does return to see if Sky Sports Premier League show more than just extended highlights of the Saturday 3pm games and have complete games in Match Choice throughout the week.  The current schedules suggest there is a lot of time to fill on that channel.

PS Is Main Event the channel for those who are too lazy to even press the remote control?  🙂

Untitled.png

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@dr_necessitor wrote:

Compared to the equivalent minimum cost of having the full Sports pack via Sky dish of £49.50 (that's £22 for the Original Entertainment bundle plus £27.50 for the full Sports pack), the NOW TV Sports Month pass at £33.99 for "720p HD" (depending on device) is still cheaper, but point taken about paying for sports not watched.

And I'm not sure that you get Sport in "1080p HD" for £49.50. I think you have to have the Box Set Entertainment bundle at £38 to get Sport in "1080p HD", so that pushes it up (from £49.50) to £65.50 for Sport in "1080p HD". But I may be wrong about that!

Definitely cheaper than Sky.  

I can add Sports to my Virgin box with the most basic package (effectively free but with a £5 monthly tivo fee) at  £31.75/month  + £7 /month HD  (Can't check on Virgin website, but from memory that is the cost).   Sometimes Virgin will offer it for half price for 6 months, so I take them up on that.

Sky Q Monthly costs

• Cheapest option: Sky Q + Original Bundle (£22) + Sky Sports (£27.50): £49.50/month
  • Cheapest option with HD: Sky Q + Original Bundle (£22) + HD (£6) Sky Sports (£27.50): £55.50/month
  • Cheapest option with 4K: Sky Q + Original Bundle (£22) + (£12) + Sky Sports (£27.50): £61.50/month
Anonymous User
Not applicable

What time do the new channels appear? Still showing as 1-5 except sky sports open.
Miketurn
Scholar 3

All the new channels and logos are now present on my box.

Hope the onscreen DOG's are smaller else they're going to take up a lot of screen in some cases.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Miketurn wrote:

All the new channels and logos are now present on my box.

Hope the onscreen DOG's are smaller else they're going to take up a lot of screen in some cases.

Yes all there now.

Interestingly I noted that Arena/Action is counted as one channel for Sky wheras the other five are separate.

Have to admit there is little difference in pricing bewteen the whole she-bang (£20 for a 18 month subscription; though it is £27.50 with zero commitment) versus a single channel (£18).

Even so the bare bones (with no box sets and no broadband) would be £52/month for sports + cinema (@ £10/month on offer) which seems pretty expensive.  Think I will stick with Now TV and the day/week passes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Even so the bare bones (with no box sets and no broadband) would be £52/month for sports + cinema (@ £10/month on offer) which seems pretty expensive.  Think I will stick with Now TV and the day/week passes.

To effectiely get what I get with Now TV + Virgin (box sets on TV; movies on demand + Sports when needed;  fast broadband + everyday phone calls) with offer would be over £100/month!  Saving a couple of quid on the single sports channel isn't going to make much difference.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have to admit this channel reorganisation is pretty good from the NOW TV perspective with a couple of extra channels including Mix. Main event makes little odds as it is the same as another channel.

Now if only those red button streams could be provided as and when...

Miketurn
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User wrote:

Have to admit this channel reorganisation is pretty good from the NOW TV perspective with a couple of extra channels including Mix. Main event makes little odds as it is the same as another channel.

Now if only those red button streams could be provided as and when...

I can't see the point of having Main Event at all. Even on Sky you have to have the full package to get it! 

It might make it easier for people with Sky to find stuff without having to go through all the EPG's for the sports channels, but as Now TV only does now/next it's still completely pointless for us! Smiley LOL

Issac
Scholar

£18 per month is the cheapest package ? Yet the good old Nowtv box man will still be paying £33.99 if he wants a month of sport? WTF? Sure they could offer us the choice of buying 1 or 2 channels via the Now TV for £18 or £22. I would say most hardcore football fans don't really care about golf or F1 or the other themed channels.