cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chai
Scholar 3

Sky Sports themed channels coming to NOW TV?

Sky Sports to replace numbered channels and slash prices in revamp

 

Broadcaster to launch themed channels for football, golf and cricket, with cheapest package costing £18 a month

 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jun/27/sky-sports-channels-prices-football-golf-cricket

 

Coming to NOW TV?

 

 

83 Replies
Anonymous User
Not applicable


@chai wrote:
Sky Sports to replace numbered channels and slash prices in revamp

 

Broadcaster to launch themed channels for football, golf and cricket, with cheapest package costing £18 a month

 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jun/27/sky-sports-channels-prices-football-golf-cricket

 

Coming to NOW TV?

 


I hope so.  Wil stop the F1 fans grumbling about subsiding the football. 🙂  Interestingly at the end of teh article "Sky said that it will launch a broadband-delivered TV service next year".  What that means to Now TV, I don't kno.

 

Should end up with 

 

  • Sky Formula One
  • Sky Football One
  • Sky Football Two
  • Sky Golf
  • Sky Cricket
  • Sky Sports Arena - other content including rugby and tennis.
  • Sky Sports Mix

Better start using up my day and week passes...

Tonyteehee
Scholar

Sky football 1

Sky Football2

 

£18 each. 

 

They have just put up Sky Sports on Now TV to £36 or am I being stupid. Lets be honest most people want the football

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

I've just looked on my account and the current Sports prices are as follows: -

 

Sports costs.PNG

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have read that the pricing will be something like this:

 

1 channel £18
1 each extra channel £5
All channels £28

 

This would be a nightmare for Now passes so suspect the day/week/month passes will be for all channels, hopefullly including Mix if it still exists.

Anonymous User
Not applicable


@Anonymous User wrote:

...suspect the day/week/month passes will be for all channels, hopefullly including Mix if it still exists.


@Anonymous User I agree.  I can't see Now changing the model for day/week passes and unlikely there would be a mix and match of monthly passes.  Possible they could have single channel monthly passes alongside having all the channels.  However I see issues with that approach if I have a monthly football pass, but want to use a day pass for GAA on another channel.  Like you I think they will leave it as all channels.

 

Mix will still be there going forward.  Should be on Now TV as part of Entertainment and/or Sports.  Well I hope so.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Surely they could do any kind of mix and match system?  Isn't mix and match a core ethos of Now TV?  SO I see no reason why they can't offer the individual themmed channels on a day, week and monthly pass basis.  It should also undercut the full Sky subscription price just as their packs do now.  Has anyone from Sky/Now TV actually bothered to respond here???

Anonymous User
Not applicable


@Anonymous User wrote:

Surely they could do any kind of mix and match system?  Isn't mix and match a core ethos of Now TV?  SO I see no reason why they can't offer the individual themmed channels on a day, week and monthly pass basis.  It should also undercut the full Sky subscription price just as their packs do now.  Has anyone from Sky/Now TV actually bothered to respond here???


If they offered what Sky offered on the day/week/month pass they would need 126 different combinations.   Also I don't think there would be any incentive for Now to offer different prices for the day and week passes.  The day pass would be about £5.50 one channel, £6 two channels and £6.50 three channels.  With the week pass it would be £9.50/£10.00/£10.50 respectively.  Why bother implementing such complexity which would increase costs with so little reward?   Not much of a business case.

 

The £33.99 monthly pass undercuts the cheapest Sky one channel offering by £6 (£22 base pack + £18 single channel). There are numerous offers on Now Sports that make it even cheaper.    

 

This single channel marketing is brilliant.  It gives the impression of cutting prices yet the reality is that Now, Virgin and Talk Talk subscribers can all pay less for all the sports than Sky customers would pay for just one sports channel.  Also Sky offer all the channels for just £20/month if you commit to 18 months anyway, so for many the real saving would be just £2/month.

 

We'd all like cheaper sports, but I don't think Now providing this mix and match will make things any cheaper.  I don't think it will make much odds for Sky subscribers either.  They raised the cost of the base pack by £2 recently and will add a £1 here and there (something Now TV cannot do)  to give the illusion that the sports channels are cheaper.

stammie1609
Expert


@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Surely they could do any kind of mix and match system?  Isn't mix and match a core ethos of Now TV?  SO I see no reason why they can't offer the individual themmed channels on a day, week and monthly pass basis.  It should also undercut the full Sky subscription price just as their packs do now.  Has anyone from Sky/Now TV actually bothered to respond here???


If they offered what Sky offered on the day/week/month pass they would need 126 different combinations.   Also I don't think there would be any incentive for Now to offer different prices for the day and week passes.  The day pass would be about £5.50 one channel, £6 two channels and £6.50 three channels.  With the week pass it would be £9.50/£10.00/£10.50 respectively.  Why bother implementing such complexity which would increase costs with so little reward?   Not much of a business case.

 

The £33.99 monthly pass undercuts the cheapest Sky one channel offering by £6 (£22 base pack + £18 single channel). There are numerous offers on Now Sports that make it even cheaper.    

 

This single channel marketing is brilliant.  It gives the impression of cutting prices yet the reality is that Now, Virgin and Talk Talk subscribers can all pay less for all the sports than Sky customers would pay for just one sports channel.  Also Sky offer all the channels for just £20/month if you commit to 18 months anyway, so for many the real saving would be just £2/month.

 

We'd all like cheaper sports, but I don't think Now providing this mix and match will make things any cheaper.  I don't think it will make much odds for Sky subscribers either.  They raised the cost of the base pack by £2 recently and will add a £1 here and there (something Now TV cannot do)  to give the illusion that the sports channels are cheaper.


I wouldn't argue with most of your points, especially with the day and week passes where things would become far too complicated.

However I think Sky have missed a trick by not offering monthly passes at the reduced rates for the individual channels.

I live in a predominantly Virgin Media area and if Now TV would fix the damn picture freezing issue I know several people who would switch their sports sub from VM to Now TV.

Additionaly if they offered the themed channels as individual or bundled prices I know many more who'd switch from paying VM to paying Sky directly

Anonymous User
Not applicable

stammie1609 wrote:

However I think Sky have missed a trick by not offering monthly passes at the reduced rates for the individual channels.

If they had an option to just get one channel for say £25 would it attract subscribers? That would be £9 off full price as per the Sky offering.  Now whilst offering six options isn't so bad, having the two channel offering (@ say £29)  is another 15 options and the three channel option (@£32) makes it an extra 20 so 42 in all including the every channel option.

 

And then what if someone with a monthly subscription for one channel suddenly wanted a day pass to watch another sport.  The Now TV provisioning and billing system would probably go into meltdown.

 

In my opinion internet services operate best with fewer options and NO channels.  Netflix only has one pass with three service levels.  Amazon just the one.  I am ignoring Amazon individual channel subscriptions.

 

Personally I would be happy with more curated service ala Netflix/Amazon.  On there I watch Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Lemony Snicket, Man in the High Castle and any movie I find of interest.  I don't find the channel I find the show.  Now TV could simply scrap the channel concept and just allow people to select the shows (in my case Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Westworld), films and events they want.  The events could even allow you to go back to the start like the BBC iPlayer beta.

 

I think the concept of a channel will disappear in the not too distant future and I think that would be a good thing.  One of the things I dislike about Now for Game of the Day and Match Choice is having to wait until 2am for the game I want to watch to appear on Sky Sports 1 (now Premier League).    As the content is available it should simply appear.

 

I suspect the future will be more along the lines of GAA Go and Tennis TV and the other specialist sports providers and may even get to the point where you have to have individual subscriptions to watch a particular club.   And it will cost more doing it this way.

 

But that's just my opinion!

Tonyteehee
Scholar

I wouldnt subscribe to any of the packages they are all grossly overpriced

Anonymous User
Not applicable


@Tonyteehee wrote:

I wouldnt subscribe to any of the packages they are all grossly overpriced


I generally look at what it would cost me to go to a game against the cost of the day pass and the day pass wins everytime simply on travel costs alone.  Nowadays I mostly go to matches that aren't on TV where the tickets cost around £15-£30. The twenty's plenty campaign has worked out well as I have friends who support teams from outside London who I meet up for games against the local rivals!  And the day passes are cheaper than heading off to Ireland for a GAA weekend.

 

I agree that £34/month is a high price to pay, but with a combination of day and week passes (plus the odd month with Premier Sports and BT Sport) my average spend is less than £20/month on sport TV.  Which is less than a night out at the cinema.

Bennis
Mentor

does anyone actually pay full price for any now tv products?

Anonymous User
Not applicable


@Bennis wrote:

does anyone actually pay full price for any now tv products?


I don't think so.  Not sure many pay anything at all.  I watched tonight's game courtesy of Pringles!   Not sure I need to worry about Sunday 😞

Anonymous User
Not applicable


@Tonyteehee wrote:

Sky football 1

Sky Football2

 

£18 each. 

 

They have just put up Sky Sports on Now TV to £36 or am I being stupid. Lets be honest most people want the football


Prices haven't been announced yet.  Nor the channel names.  From what I understand £18 will be the entry point for one of the channels on Sky/Virgin.  Having all the channels should cost the same as it currently does.  No decision has been made regarding NOW TV and quite likely that will only have the all or nothing option so people consider switching to Sky.

 

Highly likely the football will be split between Premier League and the other football, so you get Premier League exclusive to one channel (except final day where multiple games are shown at same time) and Scottish/EFL/La Liga/League Cup/Coppa Italia/Eredivise etc.  Inetrnational games will be a bit of a headache.  Maybe have England (Nations League Only) on the Premier channel with other nations fitting in around them.

 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

What percentage is "most"?

 

See attachment!

 

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5


@Anonymous User wrote:

What percentage is "most"?

 

See attachment!


There's got to be something more recent than a 2003 survey!

Tonyteehee
Scholar

We will just have to wait and see. But at £18 for one channel it will be bye bye from me. better than £33.99 but still way over the top.

 

I'll stick with BT Sport which I get for £3.75 a month for the next 18 months. Plenty of Scottish football matches and champions League and Europa matches coming up shortly which is all Im interested in. Sky doesn't do enough Scottish Football to justify the price.

Anonymous User
Not applicable


@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

What percentage is "most"?

 

See attachment!


There's got to be something more recent than a 2003 survey!


I reckon there is a big difference between a sport you are interested in, one you would watch, one you pay to watch live and one you would pay to watch on TV.  I like swimming, but I wouldn't watch someone else doing it.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I hope so. £34 is too much.
Anonymous User
Not applicable


@Anonymous User wrote:
I hope so. £34 is too much.

Starting price on Sky seems to be about £18/month for one channel.  I suspect it would be similar on Now TV.  Can't imagine it would be any lower than £15/month.  

 

Will make the passes on Now TV complex.  If they allow mix and match there would be 100s of combinations.