cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky Sports Weekend Pass

I cant see that this has been covered elsewhere and i think its something that would be pretty sought after what do you think? I am an avid fan of the F1 and since moving from sky tv to now tv have a lack of ways to watch the sky sports F1 channel, as this is the main sport i am interested in i dont really want to pay for the sky sports pass as its a lot! just to watch F1. The other problem is that to watch qualifying and the race i would need to buy two day pass's or a week pass again at a relatively high cost, I think it would be a good idea to offer a weekend pass. This would give the F1 fans out there a pass to watch the F1 weekend in full and the weekend sports fan a whole weekend of enjoyment rather than a day at a more competitive price. 

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable

merrilees66 wrote:

i dont really want to pay for the sky sports pass as its a lot! just to watch F1. 

Plenty like myself watch sports that are more minority than that without a dedicated channel so effecrtively our cost is higher.  One GAA game a week is worth £7 to me.

A week pass is effectively a weekend pass.  With a day pass costing £7 and a week pass £11, the likely cost of the weekend pass would be £9 or £10 so not really a saving.  

I don't know why there are so many grumbles from F1 fans regarding cost.  There is a decicated 24/7 channel, you don't have subscribe to other providers like BT, Eurosport or Premier Sports and the Grand Prixs are only on every fortnight or so, so monthly cost of two week passes is far less than the Sky/Virgin prices.  Hell you even get half of them Free to Air on Channel 4.

If there was a dedcicated GAA channel with all the games on a weekend, I'd be delighted to pay just £11 for it.  Premier Sports is £10/month but I still have to get Sky for the other game.  So my monthly cost is more like £38/month, whereas 2 Grand Rixs cost £7 (if you watch the C4 broadcast).

Those that follow sports like GAA, Football and Tennis can end up with 3 or 4 concurrent subscriptions to watch their sport.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Would it be possible for NOW TV to introduce a separate pass just for F1? I'm not interested in all the other sports that come in with the pass and I'm not prepared to spend over £30 per month just for F1 when I can see the races here in the UK on Channel 4 for free. I think you would gain more customers if this was to be introduced.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

You and me both 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable
PZed wrote:

Would it be possible for NOW TV to introduce a separate pass just for F1? I'm not interested in all the other sports that come in with the pass and I'm not prepared to spend over £30 per month just for F1 when I can see the races here in the UK on Channel 4 for free. I think you would gain more customers if this was to be introduced.

Why is it only F1 fans who moan about the cost?  I am sure that there are plenty who would like to have a cheaper sports pass with F1 excluded, but it's not likely to happen either.    

I think F1 gets the best deal of all sports on Sky  It has a dedicated 24/7 channel, and never gets shunted off to Sky Sports Mix like the tennis or cricket.   And it doesn't get half the event like the US Open golf.

If there was a 24/7 Tennis or 24/7 GAA channel, I would happily sign up for them.  I pay £7 for 70 minutes of GAA per week.   £7 for the odd grand prix with all the other programming in a 24 hour period is pretty good value.  As you state you can watch half of them on channel 4.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I think F1 gets the best deal of all sports on Sky  It has a dedicated 24/7 channel...

And this is the very reason why it would be good to have an option to purchase the channel separately.

A lot of us pure motor sports fans are not interested in what the five other sports channels have to offer. Indeed I'd be quite happy if the current 'Sky Sports F1 channel' was rebranded to cover a more diverse range of FIA motor sport events.

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

I think F1 gets the best deal of all sports on Sky  It has a dedicated 24/7 channel...

And this is the very reason why it would be good to have an option to purchase the channel separately.

A lot of us pure motor sports fans are not interested in what the five other sports channels have to offer. Indeed I'd be quite happy if the current 'Sky Sports F1 channel' was rebranded to cover a more diverse range of FIA motor sport events.

By that logic, people could just have Sky Atlantic because they don't want any other channels.    By splitting out channels the pricing would become complex (see Amazon for an example of that) and dare I say it no cheaper.

I suspect that like the entertainment/kids pass split a while back  many would be hacked off because there are few winners except those who have Now just for kids (very few I suspect).  I suspect that at best it may be a pound or two less if there was a split.  Say Now TV did £20/month for just F1 and no day/week passes, who wins?  

Unless Now (or more importantly Sky) adopts the Amazon per channel pricing it won't happen.  They charge for the 6 sports channels as a package on Sky and Virgin, so there is no chance of a different offer for Now TV .  Arguably Now TV viewers already get the best deal because they only have to pay for 10 Grand Prixs, the rest are on Channel 4.  Satellite and Cable subscribers are tied in thanks to 30 day notice periods.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As per usual the messing around of merging topics means there are two different questions masquerading as one distorting the responses.  

Q1 - Should there be a weekend pass?  

A1 - Is there any point when a day pass is £7 and a week pass £11?  No point for an inbetween price.

Q2 - Should there be a F1 pass?  

A2 - Yes, when there are passes for every separate channel and channels for every separate sport.  Let's have Sky Sports Motors, Sky Sports Golf, Sky Sports Tennis, Sky Sports Cricket and Sky Sports Rugby over the summer with closely associated sports incorporated, e.g.  GAA on the Rugby Channel.  And in the winter Sky Sports Football.  Have separate prices for each.  However don't expect them to be much cheaper and expect to pay more if you happen to like more than one sport.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Q2 - Should there be a F1 pass?  

A2 - Yes, when there are passes for every separate channel and channels for every separate sport.  Let's have Sky Sports Motors, Sky Sports Golf, Sky Sports Tennis, Sky Sports Cricket and Sky Sports Rugby over the summer with closely associated sports incorporated, e.g.  GAA on the Rugby Channel.  And in the winter Sky Sports Football.  Have separate prices for each.  However don't expect them to be much cheaper and expect to pay more if you happen to like more than one sport.

I wonder if someone reads the nonsense I post...

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jun/27/sky-sports-channels-prices-football-golf-cricket

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

By that logic, people could just have Sky Atlantic because they don't want any other channels.    By splitting out channels the pricing would become complex (see Amazon for an example of that) and dare I say it no cheaper.

In my opinion the 'Sports' service can't be compared to the three other NOW TV services as its offerings are to diverse. The main one being football followed by golf, rugby and cricket.

However, the cynic in me knows that there's little to no chance of the sports service ever being broken up because the main portion of the cost is used to subsidise snoozeball...