cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky Sports Weekend Pass

I cant see that this has been covered elsewhere and i think its something that would be pretty sought after what do you think? I am an avid fan of the F1 and since moving from sky tv to now tv have a lack of ways to watch the sky sports F1 channel, as this is the main sport i am interested in i dont really want to pay for the sky sports pass as its a lot! just to watch F1. The other problem is that to watch qualifying and the race i would need to buy two day pass's or a week pass again at a relatively high cost, I think it would be a good idea to offer a weekend pass. This would give the F1 fans out there a pass to watch the F1 weekend in full and the weekend sports fan a whole weekend of enjoyment rather than a day at a more competitive price. 

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

...little to no chance of the sports service ever being broken up because the main portion of the cost is used to subsidise snoozeball...

The irony is the football subsidises everything else.  Without football and the subsequent sales of equipment there would be few sports channels, if any at all, because they would not be economically viable.   Sky and BT pay far too much for football, but they are businesses looking to make a profit and they know that's what drives subscriptions.  

From what I read F1 won't because all the F1 fans moan about paying £7 to watch every second Grand Prix.   As Bernie Ecclestone said in 2002...

"I still don't understand why people won't pay what has been asked of them. It's not just the UK, it's worldwide. It's quite incredible that pay doesn't work. I sat down with [Rupert] Murdoch a few years ago and we thought, the two of us, that all major sports would be on pay-per-view eventually. It just hasn't worked. Baffles me."

The digital feed ran for the three days of each Grand Prix, and allowed viewers to select different views ranging from in-car shots to pitlane cameras and access to some of the telemetry from the cars, showing speed and the G-forces experienced by the drivers. It was available in the UK on Sky Digital at a cost of £12 a Grand Prix weekend.

Read more at http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/ecclestone-switches-off-f1-pay-per-view-service/164418#MvDXqWS...

In other words, what F1 fans actually pay isn't enough and you need all the big football subscribers to subsidise the procession.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Oh jeez, I remember that 15 year old quote from Ecclestone. It was from the same time their original F1 'subscription' television channel failed to make an impact... 

Sufficed to say the way we all access and pay for media has completely changed since those days!