cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky Sports News HQ App stopped working

I have the Entertainment pass which allows access to the Sky Sports News HQ App.

However, since last weekend this app has stopped working. I select the app it goes to the Sky Sports News screen where normally says signing in but after 2s the screen goes black and it returns me to My Apps page.

I have done 2 factory resets and still the same problem.

All the other apps work accept this one.

Is there an issue with this app or have Sky changed their policy and no longer allow Sky Sports News to be accessed across all NOW TV passes.

20 REPLIES 20
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Actually, 'Sky Sports News HQ' app is a perk app that's available to all people with NOW TV branded playback devices, regardless of which NOW TV service you've subscribed to 😉

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

The Sky Sports News HQ app Is working on my nowtv smart box and i have an entertainment pass.

Not sure why the App is not working for you ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've also noticed an issue with the Sky Sports News HQ App in recent days (I'm watching on the Black Box)..... I click on the App and now rather than going in to the App directly it seems to be quickly opening up the Now TV App - opening Sports Section - going to live TV - and then opening the Sky Sports News channel????

Hence, for me the App doesn't seem to be working, but it still takes me to Sky Sports News on the Live Channels..... even though I don't have a Sky Sports Pass??

I wasn't sure if this was an error or just a new way that it was working.... but I'm guessing there might be an issue with the Sky Sports News App for some people....... I hope this might now be something that is known about and possibly being looked at????

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies.

Obviously the Sky Sports News app is still available so must be an issue my end though don't know the cause since every other app and live channels work fine.

When I went on Live Chat at Now TV to try and sort it out I was asked if I could view the Sky Sports News app on my tablet. Well, as far as I can see you can't access the app via Now TV on a tablet, just the live channels or box sets. If I select Sky Sports News link through the Sports page I can't view it as it says I need a Sports Pass.

Can you access the apps, i.e. like SSN or BBC IPlayer using Now TV on a tablet as not seen how to do that.

If I can't get this resolved then I will cancel my pass as SSN was the main channel I watch and got the pass for. No point paying for something you can't access

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

The Sky Sports News HQ app is only available on the nowtv boxes and you will not find this app on any other device such as tablets etc.

Also the nowtv app on your tablet will not contain the third party apps such has BBC iPlayer etc.

Not sure what OS your tablet runs on ie Android etc where you could try the tablet Apps Store for a separate dedicated app such has BBC iPlayer etc to download onto your tablet device, but there will be no SSN app available from any of the App Stores (it's purely an app for the nowtv boxes only).

I tried both my standard black nowtv box and the newer smart box where they both worked fine with the Sky Sports News HQ app.

Sounds like you have tried everything that i would have done which is a hard factory reset, uninstall and re install the SSN app and forced a software update on the box.

Out of curiosity are you using a nowtv white box which is getting a bit long in the tooth now and these older white boxes seem to struggle a lot more due to a lack of processing power compared to the black box when either running the newer nowtv UI app or some of the third party apps on the box which keep involving with more power processing hungry UI''s  ?

If you are using the white nowtv box by any chance, and if nobody on here comes up with a suggestion how to resolve it, then you may have to bite the bullet and invest in a newer nowtv black box (maybe take advantage of the 3 month entertainment voucher code pass that comes with the box which are currently being sold for £15 from most Retailers) if you want to continue using the SSN app.

Hopefully there is some sort of short term glitch with the SSN app on your existing box and fingers crossed it may reslove it's self or possibly another helpful forum member on here can assist you further.

Obviously, please ignore my post if you are using the newer nowtv black box. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just to follow-up on my previous Post and my issues with the Sky Sports News HQ App on my Black Box..... I had thought about removing the App and reloading it in the hope that this would clear the problem, but when I go to the SSNHQ App in the Store the Remove App function is not there??

It does tell me that the App is version 2.0 and gives a date of 22nd June 2017..... I can't quite remember when my issues with the App started, but it was probably round that time, hence, did the SSNHQ App get a software update on the 22nd June and this has led to it not working on certain Boxes??

Hopefully it might be an issue that is getting looked at or it might be something that will clear in time???

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Just had a play around with the Sky Sports News HQ app on my nowtv smart box and as @Anonymous User has rightly mentioned that the SSN app now takes you into the Sky Sports Live EPG Section of the NowTV main app rather then opening the dedicated SSN app on the box, which i believe was the way it used to work before a recent software update of the app.

Like Thom77, the SSN app on my nowtv box is version 2.0 dated the 22nd of June 2017.

I only normally subscribe to the entertainment and movie passes and never had any issues in the past accessing the SSN app with either of these two type of passes.

However, i have taken out a one month Sports Pass has a special treat for the Lions Rugby Series and maybe this is the reason why that i can currently watch the Sky Sports News HQ programme via the app which automatically takes me to the Sky Sports News HQ live feed on the Sports EPG in the nowtv app ?

Out of curiosity, i wonder if other forum members can confirm on here if that they can watch the Sky Sports News HQ app on their nowtv boxes without subscribing to any of the sports passes.

Please confirm which generation nowtv box (ie white, black or smart with the box software version) together with the SSN app software version & date plus if you are an entertainment, movies or kids pass subscriber.

This might build up a better picture if anybody else his having any difficulties with the SSN app or it is only @Anonymous User who is effected.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

The News HQ app is working on my black box, however it also works if you bypass the News app altogether and just open up the NOW TV app, go to the Sports section and choose the Sky Sports News HQ channel to watch. That channel works straight away for me (I have an ents and cinema pass not a sports pass), the other channels all prompt me to buy a pass. So I'd recommend you try that route instead of going via the separate Sports HQ app.

Bear in mind it will only work on your NOW TV box as the perk is only for box users, so you won't get any access via iPad or other devices.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well checked again tonight and the same problem and I am using the black Now TV box which is only 8 month old.

However, I bought a new router since the old router wifi had packed up, the Now TV box is connected via Ethernet, and set it up just now and, bizarrely, the SSN app started to work but, as mentioned by a few others, via a different method.

When I select the SSN app, goes to the SSN screen then back out to the Now TV emblem, a quick buffer and hey presto, SSN is up and running.

No idea what's changed but now working, yipee!

Thank you all for your input and advice on this issue, hopefully it will now stay working for the forseeable future