cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky Sports Catch Up

Are there any plans to provide catch up services on Sports? I get there may be rights issues on live events, but surely there could be more options to catch up on highlights and discussions sports programs? Its very expensive to only be allowed to watch live channels.

15 REPLIES 15
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

S4C also offers English commentary via the red button service whilst watching the highlights when broadcasted.

Unfortunately the red button service (ie English commentary) will not work if you record and playback the Rugby matches on their channel.

The S4C Lions Rugby programme is pretty decent BTW, but only in SD with no HD coverage.   

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps wrote:

S4C also offers English commentary via the red button service whilst watching the highlights when broadcasted.

Unfortunately the red button service (ie English commentary) will not work if you record and playback the Rugby matches on their channel.

The S4C Lions Rugby programme is pretty decent BTW, but only in SD with no HD coverage.   

I will give that a try but I am quite happy with the Welsh commentary as I focus on the match a bit more.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Just done some investigation on the internet and there might be no english commentary for the Lions highlights games on S4C, due to that Sky hold the UK broadcasting rights for the Lions matches in the UK.

Not sure if Sky under the agreement with S4C will allow them to use english commentary (see link below about FAQ english commentary for sports matches on S4C) ?

http://www.s4c.cymru/en/contact-us/page/17297/faqs/

I view S4C Rugby games time to time watching the Pro 12 and the Welsh Championship League and there is a red button service option for english commentary on the Freeview and YouView platform (not sure about watching via the Virgin service).

Been watching the Lions Live via a Now TV Sports pass, but i will check out the S4C highlights this Saturday night to see if Sky have allowed S4C permission under their rights agreement to allow english commentary.

Sorry about any confusion in my previous post. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps wrote:

...there might be no english commentary for the Lions highlights games on S4C, due to that Sky hold the UK broadcasting rights for the Lions matches in the UK. 

I wonder if the same applies to the football.  Having had my 24 hours day pass expire as they were playing the anthems in Serbia I was suprised to see the game was also being broadcast on S4C (accessible via iPlayer as are the Rugby highlights).  

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Might be wrong but the way that i read the S4C FAQ on the link from my previous post, is that if say for example Sky hold the main broadcasting rights on the Wales v Serbia game then S4C are not permitted to use their English commentary option and can only broadcast the match in Welsh only.

Not sure if there is any English commentary using S4C on the BBC iPlayer even if the BBC / S4C hold the main broadcasting rights (will need to double check when there is a game on S4C Freeview with the red button service  to compare with iPlayer).  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I agree - lack of a catchup feature is an absolute dealbreaker.  This is the 21st century, FFS.

Unfortunately I have now shelled out for a pass on the assumption I would be able to watch on catchup, only to find I can't.  I am absolutely fuming.  That is the last Sky pass I will ever buy.

@Anonymous User wrote:

shocked to find I cannot get catch up on sky sport Why????