cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Re: Extremely poor picture quality

Same here, only setup yesterday, great on the iPad, only have a 32" Samsung, picture quality is very poor, and pixelated. As I don't have a smart TV... It suggest that the alleged 1080 quality, which I then read the hand book... To see max 720 quality potential. This is poor and a bad start...
31 REPLIES 31
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello

I'm having the same problems with poor picture quality. Everything on the entertainment package looks like a 1980s video. However, BBC IPlayer and 4OD are fine, nice and sharp. 

Any ideas?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have recently purchased a Now TV box and until today I thought the picture was acceptable.

I have been extremely dissapointed with the pitcure quality of the football having just paid for a day pass, it is awful.

I know it's not my connection speed with VM 50mb and I have connected my son's playstation to my TV and the picture on that is 10 times better than this BOX. Really poor and to keep recommending customers reset their router and TV is just wasting their time, it is clearly the box has a very poor output quality. I am really considering returning this box because it isn't fit for purpose.

What else can I do to improve the quality when I have already set the output of the BOX to 720p?

Regards, 

John

Anonymous User
Not applicable
I've just upgraded from 40 Samsung to 55 4k. All through roku3, Amazon prime looks amazing, Netflix amazing, nowtv jerky, poor quality and no surround sound. Very disappointed, can't believe how many people have complained but never get a response from nowtv. Can't you see your customers are unhappy. I for one will be cancelling my membership.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello,

I have juddering picture on all UK applications from Now TV box to LG smart TV. Now TV on native LG TV app works good, with no juddering problems, the same with BBC palyer. But Now TV box sends juddering picture from all UK on-demand apps to LG TV. Has it something to do with 60hz? Is it possible to add some solution to this in the software update? On Neo boxes there is so-called frequency switching addon, which adapts frequency and makes video to play fine.

Thank you

Vlad

BicBasher
Elite

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hello,

I have juddering picture on all UK applications from Now TV box to LG smart TV. Now TV on native LG TV app works good, with no juddering problems, the same with BBC palyer. But Now TV box sends juddering picture from all UK on-demand apps to LG TV. Has it something to do with 60hz? Is it possible to add some solution to this in the software update? On Neo boxes there is so-called frequency switching addon, which adapts frequency and makes video to play fine.

Thank you

Vlad

Unfortunetely, the NOW TV Box (both white and black) outputs at 60hz, so you will experience a slight judder with your picture.    Most people won't notice the slight difference in picture, but is noticible during fast movements.   I'd suggest using iPlayer and Demand 5 with your LG Smart TV apps and ITV Player and All4 with the box.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've just bought an LG 40" TV. Watching F1 via the NowTV app and although the picture quality is fine, if not great, there's a constant judder that makes it unwatchable. This is not just with fast action on the track but noticeable with interviews in the pitlane etc. The same appears to be true on any of the Sports channels, but I've been watching GoT on demand and that's fine. No issues with that. 

I don't know if it's been mentioned but on my TV TruMotion is disabled and not available for 720p, and I think may be the case for other LG TVs too. I have a Chromecast, and using that instead I get the same judder, but at least I can turn TruMotion on the TV up to full as it's outputing 1080p 50Hz. Doing that solves 80% of the problem; mostly the motion is smooth but the judder still returns on some fast moving scences. And this is Formula 1 so fast moving scenes are kind of the point.

I think there is some fundamental issue with NowTV's live HD channels, presumably to do with the conversion to 720p, but that the majority of customers don't notice it because the majority of customers have TVs that do motion smoothing by default. People are moaning particularly about LG because LG turn it off for the format Sky have chosen to give us.  For F1 I can switch over to Channel 4 and watch exactly the same pictures perfectly well without having to turn on TruMotion at all.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Dembo,

When watching any fast motion content from the NOW TV service on your LG television, you need to disable/switch-off all your televisions frame creation features. Such as: Real Cinema, True Motion, Motion Eye Care, etc - You don't need them!

This is because all of NOW TV's content is output at 25 frames per second (50Hz) which the LG television is able to process just fine!

No doubt your ChromeCast device is outputting everything at 60Hz (not 50Hz), hence why you need 'True Motion' Smiley Surprised

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The solution is to change the DNS on your LG. Got to network then ethernet connection and then edit your DNS. Choose any free DNS server eg. (Google 8.8.8.8) ( Open DNS 208.67.222.222 )There are many more to choose from. If you want to see which is fastest in your area download "namebench" That will give you the the best DNS server for you.  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

Dembo,

When watching any fast motion content from the NOW TV service on your LG television, you need to disable/switch-off all your televisions frame creation features. Such as: Real Cinema, True Motion, Motion Eye Care, etc - You don't need them!

This is because all of NOW TV's content is output at 25 frames per second (50Hz) which the LG television is able to process just fine!

No doubt your ChromeCast device is outputting everything at 60Hz (not 50Hz), hence why you need 'True Motion' Smiley Surprised

Cheers

Thanks, but if you'd read what I'd written you'd see that TruMotion is not only turned off but disabled. I.e. I can't turn it on even if I want to. Which I do, because the picture is very juddery. I don't want to need to, I don't need to watching the same content on C4, but I do need to on NowTV. It's not "just fine".

Chromecast is set to output 50Hz, and the TV confirms that's what it's receiving. I'd watched with the Chromecast a few times on my old Sony TV and had the same issue there. I blamed the Chromecast then and part of the reason for choosing the LG TV was that it had NowTV built in, and as it's built in surely it would be perfect. Obviously I was wrong about that.

I know all about the 60Hz-50Hz judder with other things, and that's subtle. This is much worse. Sometimes I get a ghosting effect where I was seeing the same car flickering in two different positions simultaneously (I think somebody else on this thread said the same thing about football).

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Sometimes I get a ghosting effect where I was seeing the same car flickering in two different positions simultaneously (I think somebody else on this thread said the same thing about football).

Hmmm...

What bitrate are you obtaining on your 'Sports' live streams when you see these issues occurring?