cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate

Re: Extremely poor picture quality

I've just bought an LG 40" TV. Watching F1 via the NowTV app and although the picture quality is fine, if not great, there's a constant judder that makes it unwatchable. This is not just with fast action on the track but noticeable with interviews in the pitlane etc. The same appears to be true on any of the Sports channels, but I've been watching GoT on demand and that's fine. No issues with that. 

I don't know if it's been mentioned but on my TV TruMotion is disabled and not available for 720p, and I think may be the case for other LG TVs too. I have a Chromecast, and using that instead I get the same judder, but at least I can turn TruMotion on the TV up to full as it's outputing 1080p 50Hz. Doing that solves 80% of the problem; mostly the motion is smooth but the judder still returns on some fast moving scences. And this is Formula 1 so fast moving scenes are kind of the point.

I think there is some fundamental issue with NowTV's live HD channels, presumably to do with the conversion to 720p, but that the majority of customers don't notice it because the majority of customers have TVs that do motion smoothing by default. People are moaning particularly about LG because LG turn it off for the format Sky have chosen to give us.  For F1 I can switch over to Channel 4 and watch exactly the same pictures perfectly well without having to turn on TruMotion at all.

This post has been archived

This post has been kept only for reference, it may contain out-of-date or inaccurate infomation.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

Dembo,

When watching any fast motion content from the NOW TV service on your LG television, you need to disable/switch-off all your televisions frame creation features. Such as: Real Cinema, True Motion, Motion Eye Care, etc - You don't need them!

This is because all of NOW TV's content is output at 25 frames per second (50Hz) which the LG television is able to process just fine!

No doubt your ChromeCast device is outputting everything at 60Hz (not 50Hz), hence why you need 'True Motion' Smiley Surprised

Cheers

• TV 1: LG 65UH770V | Software: v05.30.65 | OS: webOS v3.3.4 • TV 2: LG 43UH668V | Software: v05.50.55 | OS: webOS v3.3.4 • All TV's: NOW TV app v4.7.25 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • ISP: Virgin Media@100Mbps | WIRED NETWORK: 1Gbps | NAS: Synology DS212+ •

This post has been kept only for reference, it may contain out-of-date or inaccurate infomation.

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Advocate

The solution is to change the DNS on your LG. Got to network then ethernet connection and then edit your DNS. Choose any free DNS server eg. (Google 8.8.8.8) ( Open DNS 208.67.222.222 )There are many more to choose from. If you want to see which is fastest in your area download "namebench" That will give you the the best DNS server for you.  

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Advocate

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

Dembo,

When watching any fast motion content from the NOW TV service on your LG television, you need to disable/switch-off all your televisions frame creation features. Such as: Real Cinema, True Motion, Motion Eye Care, etc - You don't need them!

This is because all of NOW TV's content is output at 25 frames per second (50Hz) which the LG television is able to process just fine!

No doubt your ChromeCast device is outputting everything at 60Hz (not 50Hz), hence why you need 'True Motion' Smiley Surprised

Cheers

Thanks, but if you'd read what I'd written you'd see that TruMotion is not only turned off but disabled. I.e. I can't turn it on even if I want to. Which I do, because the picture is very juddery. I don't want to need to, I don't need to watching the same content on C4, but I do need to on NowTV. It's not "just fine".

Chromecast is set to output 50Hz, and the TV confirms that's what it's receiving. I'd watched with the Chromecast a few times on my old Sony TV and had the same issue there. I blamed the Chromecast then and part of the reason for choosing the LG TV was that it had NowTV built in, and as it's built in surely it would be perfect. Obviously I was wrong about that.

I know all about the 60Hz-50Hz judder with other things, and that's subtle. This is much worse. Sometimes I get a ghosting effect where I was seeing the same car flickering in two different positions simultaneously (I think somebody else on this thread said the same thing about football).

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Dembo wrote:

Sometimes I get a ghosting effect where I was seeing the same car flickering in two different positions simultaneously (I think somebody else on this thread said the same thing about football).

Hmmm...

What bitrate are you obtaining on your 'Sports' live streams when you see these issues occurring?

• TV 1: LG 65UH770V | Software: v05.30.65 | OS: webOS v3.3.4 • TV 2: LG 43UH668V | Software: v05.50.55 | OS: webOS v3.3.4 • All TV's: NOW TV app v4.7.25 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • ISP: Virgin Media@100Mbps | WIRED NETWORK: 1Gbps | NAS: Synology DS212+ •

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Advocate

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:
What bitrate are you obtaining on your 'Sports' live streams when you see these issues occurring?

It says about 3400 IIRC. Usually it starts off at an obviously lower resolution; sometimes it looks like it's 100x100, but quickly ramps up and after 30-60 seconds it's obviously giving me 720p. Ironically the lower resolution picture doesn't seem to have the judder.

I do get a glitch and some picture break up every now and again, and occasionally see the resolution drop down, but not very often. 

I think the ghosting issue might only happen on the Chromecast. Perhaps it simply isn't powerful enough to keep up; I could believe that. But the judder on the LG app is there all the time and at a completely consistent frequency (about 5 frames per second in my estimation), so obviously this isn't a transient connection issue. I've seen exactly the same before on the odd video I might have acquired off the internet and it's always been from when somebody's done a bad job of converting from an interlaced original.

I watched the latest Game of Thrones on NowTV last night (in the LG app), which was perfect, 720p not withstanding. Then I hopped over to the F1 channel which was showing the GP3 race and judder judder judder...

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Advocate

It either works or it doesn’t. For me it doesn’t, either on my 21” Apple or my 15” i5 Core laptop.
All this talking is exactly what I am so annoyed about: if you need to reset this and reset that, we are talking about patching something or making excuses for something.

I will wait for the GOT video release or come back to NOW when they get an expectable streaming experience, whichever’s first

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Edwardo2 wrote:
It either works or it doesn’t. For me it doesn’t, either on my 21” Apple or my 15” i5 Core laptop.
All this talking is exactly what I am so annoyed about: if you need to reset this and reset that, we are talking about patching something or making excuses for something.

With respect, viewing 50Hz content correctly on a computer (or mobile device) requires a very different set-up procedure to viewing the same content on a smart TV. So please don't confuse the technical capabilities of these very different viewing systems!

Indeed, this is one of the reasons why this forum offers separate sub-sections for different playback devices!

0 Thanks
Highlighted
NOW TV Team (Retired)

@Dembo

Have you tried disabling Trumotion on your LG TV ?

You will find the option under Setup>Picture>Truemotion

Thanks

Andy

0 Thanks
Highlighted
Advocate

Will is the picture so poor really crap most if the time

0 Thanks