cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

On Sports channels picture freezes sound continues

While using a black Now TV box with a wired connection and a 200 Mbit connection I regularly get 2-3 second picture freezes while the sound continues unaffected. While watching football it happens every 10 minutes or so. It's not a huge issue but more irritating and it only occurs while watching sports. Has anyone had a similar problem that was fixed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Karl-F
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, 

Just an update to apologise for the issues you have experienced when trying to watch sport on NOW TV. 

Yesterday we pushed out an update that should now have resolved the issue across our Sports Channels. 

We continue to monitor these channels, if you still experience this issue please let us know.

Thanks, 

Karl

View solution in original post

668 REPLIES 668
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi everyone.

I;ve got a free day pass waiting to be used.

Thinking about useing it for the Championship play-off final in 2018.

Do any of you think there's a chance it will be sorted by then ? Smiley Very Happy

stammie1609
Expert

@dr_necessitor wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

@After taking the 4 month deal @Anonymous User quid I now feel that if this major issue isn't sorted by next month I'll be pulling the plug.

Has Now ever even replied on this thread yet?

@Anonymous User

Yes!  4 posts on a thread comprising 378 posts from 04-01-2017 20:40 to date

@Karl-F (Community Manager) @ 03-07-2017 09:46

@Anonymous User (NOW TV Team) @ 22-06-2017 11:56

@Tony-D (NOW TV Team) @Anonymous User-06-2017 14:31 & 20-06-2017 13:54 - edited ‎20-06-2017 13:54

ABYSMAL COMMUNICATION

Well at least the forum bot is working, as a result of my many posts in this thread I have PM's telling me I'm now a "wordsmith" and my rank is regular 1!!

What a shame the bot can't flag up a serious issue to those in charge that all Now TV staff are ignoring.

I've just got home from a hard days work on a Saturday and thought I'd watch some cricket, the freezing issue is so annoying already I'm closing down Now TV and firing up my overseas alternative (and they wonder why people choose to use pirate streams that are more reliable!!!!!)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Every 20 to 30 seconds, the picture stutters. I'm assuming this is just another example of a diabolical service I have been suffering from with Virgin Media. I am supposedly on their fastest 200 mbps package but it never works right and the tv (v6) isn't fit for purpose. Just want to check this isn't a potential Now TV issue and I'm assuming there aren't any settings to mess around with? 

Can I assume it is 100% Virgin Media's problem? I was watching Sky Sports Football this afternoon. Direct ethernet connection to router. (black box, firmware updated earlier in the day, first use for a few months)  No other devices switched on at the time.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

What NowTV playback device are you using whilst watching the NowTV Sports broadcasts ?

If you are getting a stuttering or judder motion effect when watching the Sky Sports Streams check that your playback device is set to 50Hz.

You may be able to check this by pressing the info button on your TV remote controller when watching NowTV.

If you are getting intermittent random picture freezing rather than motion stutter or judder then maybe have a read of this thread linked below.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Sports/On-Sports-channels-picture-freezes-sound-continues/m-p/436964#M12410

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps wrote:

@Anonymous User

If you are getting intermittent random picture freezing rather than motion stutter or judder then maybe have a read of this thread linked below.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Sports/On-Sports-channels-picture-freezes-sound-continues/m-p/436964#M12410

That appears to be exactly the problem I was having. Thanks for posting the link to the 7 month old 40+ page thread. Very interesting and telling information!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

That appears to be exactly the problem I was having. Thanks for posting the link to the 7 month old 40+ page thread. Very interesting and telling information!

Let's see if @Anonymous User is as quick to look into the problem now eh. Very quick to point the blame at Virgin Media. Time to step up to the mark and get your own house in order.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Every 20 to 30 seconds, the picture stutters. I'm assuming this is just another example of a diabolical service I have been suffering from with Virgin Media. I am supposedly on their fastest 200 mbps package but it never works right and the tv (v6) isn't fit for purpose. Just want to check this isn't a potential Now TV issue and I'm assuming there aren't any settings to mess around with? 

Can I assume it is 100% Virgin Media's problem? I was watching Sky Sports Football this afternoon. Direct ethernet connection to router. (black box, firmware updated earlier in the day, first use for a few months)  No other devices switched on at the time.

@Anonymous User

Hi [Name Removed due to DPA] Smiley Happy

Thanks for getting in touch with us ! 

I am sorry to hear about whats been happening with your picture 😞 Its never nice when you are trying to sit down and watch TV and you have a bad picture !  

As Now TV is an online streaming service it relays on an internet connection of over 5Mbps to play. If you have alot of devices connected to your internt this will reduce the speed of broadband you get as a rough example if you had 200Mbps and had 10 devices connected you would be getting around 10Mbps on each device. What you are doing on each device will then depend how much more internet it will use.If you were downloading things on a laptop, watching Now TV on another and just browsing on Facebook on a phone the laptop would require more internet to download than a mobile phone that is just browsing so it would take priority in how your broadband would be split into each device. 

A direct ethernet cable connection would be the best way to ensure your devcice is getting the best possible speed however with the speed you are getting from Virgin i cant see how you should be having these picture issues (that are caused usually by a lack of speed getting to a device) 

Usually a reboot of all the equiptment connected i would say should do the trick but as we now have our own broadband service there are line checks that your service provider can do as in some occassions there could be a fault on your broadband line reducing your speed. 

I would advise on contacting Virgin just to check out your speed and if everything is ok and you are still having issues, just come back through to us and we can look into this further for you Smiley Very Happy

Thanks Kymberly (From The Now TV Team) 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Could be your internet I ditched virgin broadband due to terrible internet speeds it could drop as low as 2mb at times but could also be now tv

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Could be your internet I ditched virgin broadband due to terrible internet speeds it could drop as low as 2mb at times but could also be now tv

I appreciate that, yes and I have had more than my fair share of reliability problems with Virgin. But I have been getting consistenty close to 200 Mbps (confirmed by speedtest.net) for at least the last few days and I checked when the problem was occurring. Given that so many others seem to be reporting exactly the same problem and NOW TV appear to have confirmed (elsewhere) that it is their problem, I'm enclined to believe it is a NOW TV problem.

Soulcal24
Scholar 3

I was told last night 06/08/17 via live chat that issues with watching Sky Sports will be fixed in time for start of Premier League but we wait and see if that happens